Inflatable Rear Seat Belts

Andy L

I am getting ready to order a Navigator. Any thoughts on the inflatable rear seat belts? I am leaning toward getting them for improved safety. Any comments on comfort? We are only carrying adults.

I ready that there is a belt minder available for the 2nd and 3rd rows. Anyone know anything about this?

I picked up my 2019 reserve last Friday and although I too read about the belt minder for the 2nd and 3rd rows it doesn’t exist as far as I can tell.  As for the inflatable rear seat belts, I didn’t even see this as an option when I ordered. The belt minder I think is an EU requirement for 2019. Maybe it didn’t make it to the US models?

Does the belt minder with the inflatable seat bets work for just the 2 inflatable belts or all 2nd and 3rd row seating positions? I like the idea of the belt minder for the back seat since people don't always buckle up. I always wear my seatbelt, but disable the driver's belt minder because I find the seatbelt a problem when backing a trailer and don't like the reminder at that time.

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Toddmoe said:

People notice them, positive feedback on comfort and no trouble using them. They look a little different, but work the same way, so it's intuitive unless you've never used a seatbelt.

I believe they are designed so that you will be more comfortable AFTER the accident vs regular seat belts. 

6 hours ago, msm859 said:

I believe they are designed so that you will be more comfortable AFTER the accident vs regular seat belts. 

Maybe we are thinking the same thing, but the whole idea of them is to spread the load across more of your chest in an accident. Especially for children.  I don’t think comfort was an objective after an accident. If less chance of belt burn and or broken bones is comfort then I guess so. They use c02 to inflate not an explosion like airbags and Pretensioners. They are more comfortable when using them. They are soft. The buckles are a little awkward. 

Edited by fordtech1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Maybe we are thinking the same thing, but the whole idea of them is to spread the load across more of your chest in an accident. Especially for children.  I don’t think comfort was an objective after an accident. If less chance of belt burn and or broken bones is comfort then I guess so. They use c02 to inflate not an explosion like airbags and Pretensioners. They are more comfortable when using them. They are soft. The buckles are a little awkward. 

Comfort after the accident = less chance for injuries from the seat belt.

At least that was my take.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Comfort after the accident = less chance for injuries from the seat belt.

At least that was my take.

Yes,  Not sure why the emphasis of "concern" about them being "comfortable".  They were designed to minimize injuries - wearing (better)seatbelts should be a no brainer.