Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
Andy L

Inflatable Rear Seat Belts

Recommended Posts

I am getting ready to order a Navigator. Any thoughts on the inflatable rear seat belts? I am leaning toward getting them for improved safety. Any comments on comfort? We are only carrying adults.

I ready that there is a belt minder available for the 2nd and 3rd rows. Anyone know anything about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the inflatable belts in my Super Duty.  My kids don't complain about comfort.  Actually, they say they are more comfortable than the center belt (which is not inflatable).  The buckle is a bit different though, but not a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - my son has no complaints about the belts in my Edge.  The buckle is a bit more difficult, but really only for guests (my son is used to it). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up my 2019 reserve last Friday and although I too read about the belt minder for the 2nd and 3rd rows it doesn’t exist as far as I can tell.  As for the inflatable rear seat belts, I didn’t even see this as an option when I ordered. The belt minder I think is an EU requirement for 2019. Maybe it didn’t make it to the US models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scratch that. Just checked out the order guide and see that the rear seat minders only come with the inflatable rear seat belts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the belt minder with the inflatable seat bets work for just the 2 inflatable belts or all 2nd and 3rd row seating positions? I like the idea of the belt minder for the back seat since people don't always buckle up. I always wear my seatbelt, but disable the driver's belt minder because I find the seatbelt a problem when backing a trailer and don't like the reminder at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i ordered the rear seat belts for my teens (wife's car). the $250 seemed like a "no brainer"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cost is not the issue. I was concerned about the ease of use and comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People notice them, positive feedback on comfort and no trouble using them. They look a little different, but work the same way, so it's intuitive unless you've never used a seatbelt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the inflatable seat belts. My vehicle is due in early March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't order them as they aren't compatible with the car seats we use. I suppose I would've otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are compatible with some car seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Toddmoe said:

People notice them, positive feedback on comfort and no trouble using them. They look a little different, but work the same way, so it's intuitive unless you've never used a seatbelt.

I believe they are designed so that you will be more comfortable AFTER the accident vs regular seat belts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, msm859 said:

I believe they are designed so that you will be more comfortable AFTER the accident vs regular seat belts. 

^^^ Yes, this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, msm859 said:

I believe they are designed so that you will be more comfortable AFTER the accident vs regular seat belts. 

Maybe we are thinking the same thing, but the whole idea of them is to spread the load across more of your chest in an accident. Especially for children.  I don’t think comfort was an objective after an accident. If less chance of belt burn and or broken bones is comfort then I guess so. They use c02 to inflate not an explosion like airbags and Pretensioners. They are more comfortable when using them. They are soft. The buckles are a little awkward. 

Edited by fordtech1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Maybe we are thinking the same thing, but the whole idea of them is to spread the load across more of your chest in an accident. Especially for children.  I don’t think comfort was an objective after an accident. If less chance of belt burn and or broken bones is comfort then I guess so. They use c02 to inflate not an explosion like airbags and Pretensioners. They are more comfortable when using them. They are soft. The buckles are a little awkward. 

Comfort after the accident = less chance for injuries from the seat belt.

At least that was my take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Comfort after the accident = less chance for injuries from the seat belt.

At least that was my take.

Yes,  Not sure why the emphasis of "concern" about them being "comfortable".  They were designed to minimize injuries - wearing (better)seatbelts should be a no brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids (13 and 11) say the belts are VERY comfortable!  Their parents thought it was the best $250 we spent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×