Congratulations to Ford and Joey

coupe3w

When the number 19 (teammate of Kyle Bush) hit the wall at  just the time Kyle needed it I was suspicious, but I saw from the replay that it was a chain reaction.

Restart with 15 lap to go and all 4 chasers in the front was almost like a movie script!

Congrats to Joey, Penske, and Ford Racing

I consider myself a casual NASCAR fan and don’t know the ins and outs of the sports, other than Ford hasn’t had success like this year in a while. I was wondering what you experts attribute this success to?  Is Ford contributing more resources?  Is it the teams or drivers?  What are your thoughts on this?

14 hours ago, bobbyd said:

Yes you did!  I didn't hear Truex nor Busch congratulate Joey!

Yeah - very poor sportsmanship from Tokyo Joe Gibbs's boys Truex and Busch - I was taught when you get spanked fair and square you congratulate the winner and don't make lame excuses. 

Apparently it is game-on between Ford and Toyota - I have considered Toyota - not Chevy to be Ford's biggest corporate rival now for 10 years!

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I consider myself a casual NASCAR fan and don’t know the ins and outs of the sports, other than Ford hasn’t had success like this year in a while. I was wondering what you experts attribute this success to?  Is Ford contributing more resources?  Is it the teams or drivers?  What are your thoughts on this?

As you mentioned, Ford has made a concerted effort over the past couple of years to become more competitive. Not only have they committed more resources but one of their best changes was to bring Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) into the fold. They were the dominate team throughout most of the 2018 season. Penske obviously came on strong over the last weeks of the season and that showed yesterday. Ford had the oldest body this season and that may have actually been an advantage even though that was not the "expert" opinion before the season started.

GM had an uncharacteristic bad year. I think a lot the blame could be laid at the feet of Hendrick Motorsports. I they screwed up big time by failing to add an Optical Scanning Station to their "toolbox" until the season was almost over. All of the other big teams had their own OSS machines long before Hendrick did. I think that was a big factor in the Chevy teams not getting the Camaro more competitive. Hendrick also lost their best and most helpful customer when SHR made the switch to Ford at the end of 2016. Hendrick hasn't really been a factor since. It also doesn't help that most of their current drivers lack experience.

2 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

What about Roush? They haven't been competitive except at the big tracks Daytona and Talladega.

Trevor Bayne wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in xfinity while at the same time Stenhouse was winning his xfinity championships

Stenhouse also has a nasty habit of overdriving his cars

Combine that with the old man being too stubborn and set in his ways to keep up with the industry and you have yourself a midpack team

4 hours ago, coupe3w said:

What about Roush? They haven't been competitive except at the big tracks Daytona and Talladega.

Kenseth went out with a bang by finishing in a very respectable sixth place at Homestead. Will be interesting to see how Newman does next year in the 6 car. I laughed when Harvick said about Newman "His car gets as wide as his neck there sometimes,” after the last Martinsville race.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:20 AM, Kev-Mo said:

Yeah - very poor sportsmanship from Tokyo Joe Gibbs's boys Truex and Busch - I was taught when you get spanked fair and square you congratulate the winner and don't make lame excuses. 

Apparently it is game-on between Ford and Toyota - I have considered Toyota - not Chevy to be Ford's biggest corporate rival now for 10 years!

I'm just reflecting on a persistent issue about Martin Truex that bothers me somewhat. I watched the replay of the Homestead race and the pre race interviews with the various drivers. When they interviewed Truex, he clearly stated the #22 was his target. This was weeks after his childish threats when Joey out-raced him to the finish at Martinsville and his infamous thumbs down and bellowing he's going to make sure Logano doesn't win the championship! Adding to all his negative attacks, I noticed during the actual race when there were about 60 laps remaining.....Joey and Truex were racing almost evenly on the backstretch, when Truex suddenly moves up and into Joey's left rear quarter panel (a common Kyle Busch tactic). Joey came on the radio telling his guys he was hit and to check for serious damage. At that point they replayed the hit ,which obviously appeared as deliberate and even Dale Jr commented by saying he "didn't understand" that move! 

Okay....the season is over and us Ford guys are happy. I'm still pondering why did Truex carry such animosity against Joey......claiming he's the target.....he will make sure Joey doesn't win.....the late hit on the back stretch.....and finally refusing to congratulate Joey after the race!  It must be deeply personal....since the Martinsville race still left him with plenty of points to make the finals. I hope he moves on from this! It's not healthy!

Sorry, I'm just reflecting....