EPA plans new limits on heavy-duty truck emissions

EPA plans new limits on heavy-duty truck emissions

Rules in conjunction with California would mean big cuts in nitrogen oxide

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will propose new rules to significantly decrease emissions of smog-forming nitrogen oxide from diesel-powered heavy-duty trucks, an agency official said.

Industry groups and state environmental officials have urged the EPA to set new nationwide rules as the state of California has been moving forward with plans to set new state emissions limits. California also wants nationwide rules, in part because more than half of all trucks delivering goods in the state are registered in other states.

The EPA said in a statement it had scheduled a formal announcement on Tuesday with industry executives and state environmental officials regarding its "Cleaner Trucks Initiative," but did not immediately disclose details.

I wonder if this is another curve ball coming at HD Truck manufacturers and are these limits actually achievable without adding massive cost to transport.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Am I biased or are 90% of those idiots driving RAMs?

In my experience that sounds about right

i have a friend who makes piles of money working on diesel trucks. He tells me most of the time the guys that want that stupid shit is Cummins owners. He usually laughs them out of his shop. 

On 11/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, jpd80 said:

I wonder if this is another curve ball coming at HD Truck manufacturers and are these limits actually achievable without adding massive cost to transport.

Probably. They've just now got the trucks somewhat reliable now. It only took 10 years. 

Sounds like more down time for drivers. 

While the Archates opposed piston diesel may not get much sales traction in light trucks,I'm certain that it will be the right engine type at the right time for these new emission standards

Achates Says Its New Engine Offers Ultra-Low NOx Emissions

November 12, 2018 by John O'Dell  

https://www.trucks.com/2018/11/12/achates-engine-ultralow-nox-emissions/

achates-engine.jpg

Engine developer Achates Power said it’s moved a big step closer to commercialization of a super-clean, fuel-efficient diesel engine for heavy trucks.

Laboratory testing shows that the privately held, San Diego-based company’s unusual opposed piston engine scaled up to deliver 450 horsepower and 1,750 pound-feet of torque – produces 90 percent fewer NOx emissions than the current federal standard for diesels. NOx, or nitrogen oxides, are emissions formed by the combustion of fossil fuels. They are regarded as one of the most toxic of all combustion engine emissions and are harmful to humans, animals and plants.

Edited by jpd80