Ford Will Keep It Simple; Like, 25 Instead Of 139 Mirrors, For Just One Model

I love how they used the 2019 Fusion as the example for cutting delivery times.

---

Meh on the gloss black mirrors for Explorer......guess they did that on Navigator too (except BL models which get chrome caps).

I don't understand how there are still 25 variants though if they made BLIS standard?

The only variations I can think of are power folding or manual folding, which is 2.

I guess if there's the 360 camera system, that'd add another 2 variants, for 4.

Ah....turn signal equipped may be a variant (I think side turn signals should be standard, FWIW), so that's 2, for a total of 6.  Not sure what the other 19 variants of mirrors are.

They don't have manual mirrors anymore do they?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Colors.   3 mirrors times 8 colors = 24.

By making Blind Spot Monitoring standard, as part of a package of features, and making mirrors all one color, a gloss black, for all exterior colors and trims, Ford reduced the possible variants of exterior mirrors to 25.

---

The article specifically said they're all one color.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

By making Blind Spot Monitoring standard, as part of a package of features, and making mirrors all one color, a gloss black, for all exterior colors and trims, Ford reduced the possible variants of exterior mirrors to 25.

---

The article specifically said they're all one color.

Well if you’re going to play word games...........

Totally missed that one.

Options I can think of would be a bright trim cap vs. black, with/without camera, with/without defrost.  But that’s only 8 combinations.  There must be something else.

Well let's see here, from what I can remember of the Focus there was:

with and without BLIS

with and without the blind spot mirror

with and without heated mirror 

some cars had the black pack which meant the mirror cap was black

now any combination of those elements and there you go 

And supervisors could never figure out why if a mirror came to the line out of sequence we couldn't just put a mirror on it. There was at least 12 different mirrors

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

For 2018 Explorer, here are the combinations.

• On Base, there is one type of mirror. Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding with Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Black Molded-in-Color Caps.
  • On XLT, mirror types are as follows.

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Gloss Shadow Black Caps

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, BLIS indicator, and Gloss Shadow Black Caps

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Magnetic Metallic Painted Caps (XLT Sport)

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, BLIS indicator, and Magnetic Metallic Painted Caps (XLT Sport)

• On Limited, mirror types are as follows with 9 different colors possibilities for the Body-Color Caps.

Power-Folding with Autofold, Power and Heated Glass, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Driver/Passenger Side Memory, Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Body-Color Caps

Power-Folding with Autofold, Power and Heated Glass, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Driver’s Side Auto-Dimming, Driver/Passenger Side Memory, BLIS indicator, and Body-Color Caps

• On Sport, mirror types are as follows.

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Gloss Shadow Black Caps

Power and Heated Glass, Manual-Folding, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, BLIS indicator, and Gloss Shadow Black Caps

Power and Heated Glass, Power-Folding with Autofold, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Driver’s Side Auto-Dimming, Driver/Passenger Side Memory, BLIS indicator, and Gloss Shadow Black Caps

• On Limited, there is one type of mirror. Power and Heated Glass, Power-Folding with Autofold, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Security Approach Lamps, Driver’s Side Auto-Dimming, Driver/Passenger Side Memory, BLIS indicator, and Satin Chrome Caps

Edited by rperez817

14 hours ago, akirby said:

Well if you’re going to play word games...........

Totally missed that one.

Options I can think of would be a bright trim cap vs. black, with/without camera, with/without defrost.  But that’s only 8 combinations.  There must be something else.

it says every trim gets black though.

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well let's see here, from what I can remember of the Focus there was:

with and without BLIS

with and without the blind spot mirror

with and without heated mirror 

some cars had the black pack which meant the mirror cap was black

now any combination of those elements and there you go 

And supervisors could never figure out why if a mirror came to the line out of sequence we couldn't just put a mirror on it. There was at least 12 different mirrors

So best I could figure would be this:

power folding or manual folding, which is 2.

360 camera system/no 360, that'd add another 2 variants, for 4.

memory/no memory - 6

auto-dimming/regular - 8

---

heated seems to be standard on the current model - not sure why it wouldn't be on the new one, so that's not a variable combo.....same with BLIS which was previously a combo.  The approach lamps and LED turn signals were standard now too, which eliminates 4.

Although.........they may be including PIU variants in that total.  Adding in all those variants for PIU models would add 8 for a total of 16.....I"m out of ideas.

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

memory/no memory - 6

auto-dimming/regular - 8

---

heated seems to be standard on the current model - not sure why it wouldn't be on the new one, so that's not a variable combo.....same with BLIS which was previously a combo.  The approach lamps and LED turn signals were standard now too, which eliminates 4.

Although.........they may be including PIU variants in that total.  Adding in all those variants for PIU models would add 8 for a total of 16.....I"m out of ideas.

Export Models  have different mirrors as well which could be in that total. Right/Left Convex or Aspherical  deepening on market type/requirements. They also may need to be larger to meet EU requirements (Current Edge as an example) 

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

memory/no memory - 6

auto-dimming/regular - 8

---

I thought the gloss black was just the paint color but it could still have different trim pieces.   But who knows.....

You don't get 8 combinations from those 4 separate options - you get 16.

AAAA, AAAB, AABA, AABB,

ABAA, ABAB, ABBA, ABBB

BAAA, BAAB, BABA, BABB

BBAA, BBAB, BBBA, BBBB

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought the gloss black was just the paint color but it could still have different trim pieces.   But who knows.....

You don't get 8 combinations from those 4 separate options - you get 16.

AAAA, AAAB, AABA, AABB,

ABAA, ABAB, ABBA, ABBB

BAAA, BAAB, BABA, BABB

BBAA, BBAB, BBBA, BBBB

whoops, you're right.

----

As for the trim - I took it to mean it has the normal black plastic on the door mount and bottom of the mirror (which has always been the same on all models), and the cap for all is now black instead of varying per trim (like body color, black, or chrome).  Navigator is a good example - all models except BL have the normal lower black plastic, and a black cap, while BL models get a chrome cap.

8 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

As long as they keep the Mustang that shines down from the side view mirrors.  

mustangmirror.jpg

That's just a cover over the projector lense.  Yes presumably that'd stay.  This isn't standardizing to one mirror across the lineup, just simplifying mirrors per model.

• Like 1

For 2018 Explorer, these are the calculations I did for total exterior mirror combinations. See my previous post for the different mirror offerings mentioned in 2018 Explorer order guide.

Base: 2 (LH + RH)

XLT: 8

Limited: 126. Calculate combinations of 9 colors and 4 types of mirror hardware (LH, RH, with BLIS, without BLIS). This equals (9!)/4!(9-4)! = 126. Or do =COMBIN(9,4) in Microsoft Excel.

Sport: 6

Platinum: 2

Total = 144

4 of the combinations for Explorer Sport are repeated on Explorer XLT. Take those 4 out and that leaves 140 combinations. 1 more than what's mentioned in the article. Could someone check my math? Thanks!

No customer ever asked Ford to make 139 different mirror combinations, Ford did that thinking it was necessary, now they are going too far the other way and removing colored mirror covers. just build one type of mirror in left and right and add color trim.

The grizzle about Fusion build flexibility (33,000 variations) was all about Ford justifying culling all but the popular trim and options it wanted to keep - all about adding certainty to final suppluer orders and fewer variations and ansolutely nothing to do with what customers do or don't want.

Edited by jpd80