2020 Jeep Gladiator

rmc523

18 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

I agree, but who is the Wranglers direct competitor?

The Gladiator will have some semi-direct competition. And it will probably scavenge some Wrangler sales but not enough to hurt Wrangler.

Competition to the Wrangler is pretty much every 2 or 4 door SUV.  Because most Wranglers are used exactly the same as any other SUV.  Just because it looks different and has off-road pedigree doesn't mean 90% of the buying public isn't just buying it because it's a Jeep and makes them look cool.  It has enough features to differentiate it (aforementioned removable top, etc..) to make it something someone sees as "above" the normal SUV.

Its the same thing as The Gladiator.  It's basically the same as any other pickup and will be used about the same as one... but has all the cool things that differentiate it enough to make it an aspirational vehicle.

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

All these guys saying what does it have that the Taco, Ranger or Colorado don’t have?

• A FRIGGIN REMOVABLE TOP!
  • SOLID FRONT AXLES FERGAWDSAKES!
  • REMOVABLE DOORS!
  • IT LOOK JUST LIKE A COOL WRANGLER

Basically, all the things that make the Wrangler sell like gangbusters when any other SUV should logically be chosen by a potential buyer.

It's the anti-generic pickup and I am willing to be it will be a goldmine.

Anthony, I agree with you on all those positive characteristics of the Jeep, however there are negative traits to the Jeep as well. I’ve helped friends buy Wranglers and ridden in them numerous times, and the Wrangler doesn't  have the best ride quality and the ergos in inside the vehicle are not the greatest. That solid axle you mention can be a positive and a negative because it does compromise the ride.   I think this  Jeep will do well, but all those other trucks will continue to do well too I think. 

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

Basically, all the things that make the Wrangler sell like gangbusters when any other SUV should logically be chosen by a potential buyer.

It's the anti-generic pickup and I am willing to be it will be a goldmine.

Exactly!!  Goldmine - best description yet!  Not necessarily the 'best' truck (I think that is clearly the Ranger), but the right truck at the right time.

Let's see if akirby debates you strongly for saying exactly the same thing I said...

Edited by Kev-Mo

19 hours ago, tbone said:

Anthony, I agree with you on all those positive characteristics of the Jeep, however there are negative traits to the Jeep as well. I’ve helped friends buy Wranglers and ridden in them numerous times, and the Wrangler doesn't  have the best ride quality and the ergos in inside the vehicle are not the greatest. That solid axle you mention can be a positive and a negative because it does compromise the ride.   I think this  Jeep will do well, but all those other trucks will continue to do well too I think. 

Here's the thing, I never said those were positive characteristics of the Jeep.  I said that's why people buy them.

There really isn't many logical reasons people buy a Wrangler when they would likely be much better served and much more comfortable in an Edge or a Highlander, etc...  But they continue to defy reality and sell Wranglers like gangbusters.  That's exactly why I think the Gladiator will follow that trend.  Its got the true concept of the Wrangler in a totally new segment.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

I agree Wranglers have the cool factor and so will Gladiator.

I still don’t agree that young people buying Renegades and Compasses are buying them because Wranglers are cool because they don’t look anything like a Wrangler.  I think they sell mostly on price.  And yes I could be wrong.

I'm sure price is a big factor, but all things equal, styling likely affects a good chunk of sales influenced by Wrangler.

Jeep Gladiator can tow 7650 pounds or haul 1600 pounds.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2020-jeep-gladiator-jt-photos-info

Jeep knew that while a Wrangler with a bed would certainly find its share of fans, a real mid-size truck, one that could compete with the latest off-road offerings in the suddenly revitalized segment, would pay long-term dividends for the brand. That meant offering serious towing and payload capacity without compromising any of its off-road capability, and Jeep brings it: Rated to tow a maximum of 7650 pounds, the Toledo-built 2020 Gladiator Sport with the V-6 and eight-speed automatic turning 4.10:1 axles surpasses the 3500-pound towing capacity of the most capable Jeep Wrangler JL by more than two tons.

When equipped with a six-speed manual, also in Sport guise, the Gladiator's five-foot bed is rated to haul 1600 pounds, topping the JL's capacity by more than 700 pounds.

That's 2650 pounds more robust than the 5000-pound tow rating of the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, a vehicle Jeep considers to be a direct competitor to the Gladiator. And it's 650 more pounds of tow capability than the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger's stated max of 7000 pounds. (To be fair, non-ZR2 Colorados can tow up to 7000 pounds when equipped with the 3.6-liter V-6 and 7700 pounds with the 2.8-liter diesel engine, but these models lack the off-road hardware and chutzpah of the ZR2 and the Gladiator.) It's also worth noting that, true to its mission statement, Jeep isn't even offering a rear-drive version of the Gladiator.

Note: Just watched live reveal, this thing is awesome.

Edited by Anthony

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

Jeep Gladiator can tow 7650 pounds or haul 1600 pounds.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2020-jeep-gladiator-jt-photos-info

Note: Just watched live reveal, this thing is awesome.

What I found interesting in this article was that Jeep considers the ZR2 as a direct competitor to the gladiator. If they price it as a direct competitor to the zr2, I have to wonder how well this will sell to those who aren’t hardcore Jeep fans. 

Also the bed looks too long compared to the rest of the body. If they cut half a foot off, I think it would look better.

Edited by T-dubz

21 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

4.5 foot bed? People are already spouting off that 5 ft is too short to be useful on the Ranger.

Maybe it’s just an optical illusion due to the extra space behind the rear doors. The proportions just don’t look right to me. The gladiator is more then 7 inches longer than the ranger, which I found surprising.

2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg&thumbnail=992,2019-ford-ranger-ogi.jpg

I predict they break down 1/2 mile from stealership lot but the new owners still be smiling and have no cares cause unless you havent noticed we have been screaming for a return of the scrambler since 86..ranger is not the gladiator and trying to compare the 2 is nonsense ...again nobody cares if they leak water and your dog breaks off the radio knob...its a jeep....sergio is way smarter than most have given him credit for...he has not in any way dimished heep and in fact has green lighted projects like the hellcat which i must admit i am plesantly surprised by the guy..good job fca...hell they deserve it

If the 7" is in bed length that is huge...getting a dirt bike and all your gear in back of my old ranger was frickin comical...it was useless in that capacity

Edited by snooter

Everything I'm reading says it has a 5 foot bed (same as Ranger).

As for why it is 7" inches longer than the Ranger?  The cab looks bigger, it supposedly has class leading rear seat legroom and there's also usable space behind the rear seat as well.  Also, the Gladiator has a front bumper that sticks out further than the Ranger.