2020 Jeep Gladiator

rmc523

...and a note:  This WILL be more expensive than other mid-size trucks right off the bat because it will NOT be offered with 2WD.  4WD is standard across the line.  Jeep also isn't offfering a 2 door / supercab model either.

So apples to apples, you'll need to compare it to a Quad Cab 4X4.  Well, I guess not really apples to apples, since you can't remove the top and doors on any other pickup.  Remember this when the pricing is announced.  This is A LOT of truck and it will be priced accordingly. 

This also won't be used this to deliver pesticides or car parts. This is purpose-built for retail and obviously not going to be sold to fleets in any numbers, so sales will reflect that as well (They've got RAM for that).  This is all about big ATPs and margins and expanding the Jeep brand.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Everything I'm reading says it has a 5 foot bed (same as Ranger).

As for why it is 7" inches longer than the Ranger?  The cab looks bigger, it supposedly has class leading rear seat legroom and there's also usable space behind the rear seat as well.  Also, the Gladiator has a front bumper that sticks out further than the Ranger.

Looks like the bumpers would make up most of the 7".

This is one of those vehicles that won't sell because it does everything well, but rather I know people who buy certain vehicles because of styling. I have many guy friends who are tired because of the limited choices on "butch" vehicles.  Meaning, styled towards guys, not housewives.  Time and time again I hear Land Rover, Explorer, Expy, Tahoe maybe a Durango here and there, even the Grand Cherokee has been relegated to a "chicks" vehicle, but the Wrangler is always the default example they use because of its lines. So yes I can see this appealing to the "Anti-chick-suburban-husband is now a wimp because he's married and wife cut his balls off", kinda vehicle. And then the next generation of buyers (kids) saying "Hey look, it looks cool", no matter how unreliable we know it'll be (FCA) but what will resonate is styling.

Someone brought up a great point with FCA's truck strategy:

Why didn't they make a Dakota instead of this?

The big issue with mid-size trucks is cannibalization of the Full-size trucks (and vice versa).  The Gladiator is the type of vehicle that most people wouldn't necessarily be cross-shopping against a Ram, leaving both to get the highest margins possible without fear of either stepping on each other's toes and getting into an incentive war with each other. They are having their cake and eating it too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The big issue with mid-size trucks is cannibalization of the Full-size trucks (and vice versa).  The Gladiator is the type of vehicle that most people wouldn't necessarily be cross-shopping against a Ram, leaving both to get the highest margins possible without fear of either stepping on each other's toes and getting into an incentive war with each other. They are having their cake and eating it too.

I think I read there's a Dakota in the works.

10 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Will this take production capacity away from the Wrangler, or is the plant being expanded for the Gladiator?

FCA moved around production of the Ram and Wranger over the past 18 months to make this possible, I want to say the Wrangler has its own plant and this is getting built another plant?

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

FCA moved around production of the Ram and Wranger over the past 18 months to make this possible, I want to say the Wrangler has its own plant and this is getting built another plant?

Correct. The Wrangler continues at its regular plant in Toledo, and the Gladiator comes into the second plant in Toledo formerly occupied by the Cherokee before they moved it to Belvedere 

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Correct. The Wrangler continues at its regular plant in Toledo, and the Gladiator comes into the second plant in Toledo formerly occupied by the Cherokee before they moved it to Belvedere 

Are they going to build something else with it? I don't see the Gladiator requiring 2 shits at one plant...

On 11/30/2018 at 7:34 AM, J-150 said:

Wrangler overflow for global demand?

Wrangler sales are going up, but looking at the future when the Bronco and maybe another manufactures product is competeing against it, sales might pull back a bit and they won't need to make that many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Wrangler sales are going up, but looking at the future when the Bronco and maybe another manufactures product is competeing against it, sales might pull back a bit and they won't need to make that many. 

Gladiator will surely take some Wrangler sales too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I still think a Bronco "T" would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, Anthony said:

But what exactly is the Gladiator?  An over-capable, over-priced pavement queen that drives terribly on the highway?

Edited by probowler
word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1