2020 Jeep Gladiator

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/14/jeep-gladiator-pickup-truck-leak/

2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg2020-jeep-gladiator-1.jpg

According to the leaked document, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator will come standard with a 3.6-liter V6 engine that can be mated to an eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. We'd wager it'll offer the same 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque as in other Wrangler applications. Bigger news is the optional 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6. If it's in the same state of tune as it is in the Grand Cherokee, the Gladiator's diesel will spin out 240 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque.

The Gladiator's spec sheet lists its max tow rating at 7,600 pounds (probably with the diesel engine) and payload at 1,600 pounds. Two four-wheel-drive systems will be available, and beefy Dana 44 axles joined with electronic lockers front and rear should make the Gladiator a well-sorted off-road machine. Other noteworthy bits include an electronic swaybar disconnect and 33-inch tires.

One thing that the Jeep Gladiator will offer that no competitor can match is its open-air capability. We'd expect a soft top to be standard, and this document says two hard tops will also be offered. A five-foot bed offers practicality, and a fold-down windshield ought to please the purists. As for style, well, it's clearly a Jeep. And we mean that in a good way. See for yourself in the image gallery up above.

Edited by Anthony

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

I hope that's a photoshop otherwise they just phoned in that design.

Did you expect much different style wise?  It's a Wrangler with a bed.  They didn't even change the rear doors.

Interesting that the CHMSL is on the tailgate above the handle.

Have to admit, FAR more personality than the Ranger.  Not something I would want over Ranger but Jeep can probably sell these for more money.  They probably have another influential phenom on its hands.  Jeep really is a superstar in the automotive world right now, even Ford is hinging its turnaround on beating Jeep.  

And yes, there is a soft-top convertible version, something you definitely can't get on any other truck.  Pretty awesome!  

Edited by Assimilator

14 hours ago, tbone said:

I like the looks of this Jeep and as stated the top can come off which is a unique feature. Unfortunately I think it will cut into Ranger sales.  Slap the Jeep name on just about anything and it will sell. 

It might take some Ranger sales, but it's also going to take sales from the other midsizers.

That said, I think it'll carve its own niche more than anything - just like Wrangler does.

30 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It might take some Ranger sales, but it's also going to take sales from the other midsizers.

That said, I think it'll carve its own niche more than anything - just like Wrangler does.

Wrangler is hardly a niche these days selling in record numbers.  Jeep timing couldn't be better - right now when anything 'Jeep' is considered really cool, and will sell.  I am guessing that Toyota will stay #1, for no rational reason other than its a Toyota, this Jeep may steal some Toyota sales, and certainly jump ahead of Ranger and Colorado in 'cool' factor for the non-Ford and Chevy loyalists.  Ford and Chevy will likely fight for 3rd place in retail, but their work truck and fleet options will make them better sellers overall.  Right now - Jeep can do no wrong, even the Fiat Renegade sells well.  Many things in this world are not rational.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tbone said:

I like the looks of this Jeep and as stated the top can come off which is a unique feature. Unfortunately I think it will cut into Ranger sales.  Slap the Jeep name on just about anything and it will sell. 

I am afraid you are correct - the young non loyal Ford buyer will take this any day over a Ranger or Chevy Colorado.  Simply because 'Jeep' is the cool brand right now.

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don’t disagree. Every manufacturer will be contending with it. 

Ford and Chevy guys are pretty loyal - their mid-size offerings are solid and they will have the commercial and fleet market.  Maybe Toyota should be the most worried.  This may be a shot across their bow - the young attention seeking buyer who wants the coolest - most noticeable truck among the group.  For sure Jeep will offer cooler colors than Ranger.  Last time I looked Ranger had one blue shade, one red, and whole bunch of shades of black to white. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I think you're way overestimating the Jeep coolness factor and underestimating price as a sales factor.

So a $45-50K Ranger Raptor if it ever comes, will be a sales dud...

Why would anyone think this Jeep will not be in the same price range as a equally equipped Toyota Tacoma, Ranger or Colorado?  They are all pretty expensive.

This Jeep will be the talk of the town for months to come - the Bronco better show soon and it better be damn nice if Ford wants to stay in the game.

Edited by Kev-Mo

54 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

So a $45-50K Ranger Raptor if it ever comes, will be a sales dud...

Why would anyone think this Jeep will not be in the same price range as a equally equipped Toyota Tacoma, Ranger or Colorado?  They are all pretty expensive.

This Jeep will be the talk of the town for months to come - the Bronco better show soon and it better be damn nice if Ford wants to stay in the game.

Holy misinterpretation Batman!   I was only saying that the popularity of small Jeep utilities amongst younger folks probably has more to do with low prices than "because it's a Jeep and jeeps are cool".   This truck will not be in the cheap category but it will appeal to some Wrangler buyers and to some midsized pickup buyers.

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ford and Chevy guys are pretty loyal - their mid-size offerings are solid and they will have the commercial and fleet market.  Maybe Toyota should be the most worried.  This may be a shot across their bow - the young attention seeking buyer who wants the coolest - most noticeable truck among the group.  For sure Jeep will offer cooler colors than Ranger.  Last time I looked Ranger had one blue shade, one red, and whole bunch of shades of black to white. 

Young attention seeking buyers don't typically have enough income to buy a $40K new vehicle.  I think this will steal as many Wrangler sales as it does mid-sized truck sales from other mfrs.

• Like 2

All these guys saying what does it have that the Taco, Ranger or Colorado don’t have?

• A FRIGGIN REMOVABLE TOP!
  • SOLID FRONT AXLES FERGAWDSAKES!
  • REMOVABLE DOORS!
  • IT LOOK JUST LIKE A COOL WRANGLER

Basically, all the things that make the Wrangler sell like gangbusters when any other SUV should logically be chosen by a potential buyer.

It's the anti-generic pickup and I am willing to be it will be a goldmine.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Anthony said:

All these guys saying what does it have that the Taco, Ranger or Colorado don’t have?

• A FRIGGIN REMOVABLE TOP!
  • SOLID FRONT AXLES FERGAWDSAKES!
  • REMOVABLE DOORS!
  • IT LOOK JUST LIKE A COOL WRANGLER

Basically, all the things that make the Wrangler sell like gangbusters when any other SUV should logically be chosen by a potential buyer.

It's the anti-generic pickup and I am willing to be it will be a goldmine.

I agree, but who is the Wranglers direct competitor?

The Gladiator will have some semi-direct competition. And it will probably scavenge some Wrangler sales but not enough to hurt Wrangler.

I agree that the Taco is the one to worry.