Meet the 2020 Maverick (Baby Bronco)!

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Hmnn-wasn't "Puma" a concept back in the mid 60's?  Perhaps before Mercury settled on Cougar?

Puma was most recently a Fiesta coupe. It was widely regards as one of the best handling car Ford Europe ever made. It slot in below the similarly theme named Cougar.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/2000_Ford_Racing_Puma_16V_1.7_Front.jpg/800px-2000_Ford_Racing_Puma_16V_1.7_Front.jpg[/img]

Edited by silvrsvt

On 11/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, jpd80 said:

I have a hunch that it's much simpler than that, Ford is channeling lapsed buyers with chunkier SUV type Utilities while also continuing to offer softer more rounded Utilities. You may be right with your profite of Maverick buyer but it may also appeal to people who liked the  squarer body of the older Escapes. So maybe there's an opportunity forwider participation as well as regrouping of buyers that leads to more balanced production of Maverick and Escape as well as the other utilities planned.

I'm hoping that NAIAS and more product announcements from Ford will answer  questions about how everything fits together...

One important thing to remember... Ford is only building baby Bronco in Mexico for worldwide sale. There is no incentive for Ford to really sell the car cheap just to plug the whole left behind by C-Max. They are doing this precisely because they think they can get more money for it than doing another C-Max.

Up to a few days ago, I was convinced that baby Bronco is going to be the junior CUV member of the C2 program. Like Qashqai to Rogue/X-Trial, or Tigaun to Tiguan Allspace, or Eclipse Cross to Outlander, or Compass to Cherokee, or 3008 to 5008, or Kadjar to Koleos. So naturally, it would be slightly cheaper than the Escape and slot in between EcoSport and Escape.

But the leaked photos don't really give us a very good idea on the exact size of the vehicle... we've only guessed based on the assumption that Escape is getting bigger AND that C-Max is going away so baby Bronco must be smaller than up coming new Escape. But it could very well be that baby Bronco and Escape are the same size and your theory that Ford is just offering two different takes on the same CUV is correct. And if that is the case, there is no doubt baby Bronco will command a price premium relative to Escape.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Bite your tongue, the Maverick was awesome (in the right trim).

203280.jpg

Now that is a car that was doing damage to the Mustang II sales on the V8 side.  Had the same V8 as the pony for less $$$.

Had one that got me through tech school.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

One important thing to remember... Ford is only building baby Bronco in Mexico for worldwide sale. There is no incentive for Ford to really sell the car cheap just to plug the whole left behind by C-Max. They are doing this precisely because they think they can get more money for it than doing another C-Max.

Up to a few days ago, I was convinced that baby Bronco is going to be the junior CUV member of the C2 program. Like Qashqai to Rogue/X-Trial, or Tigaun to Tiguan Allspace, or Eclipse Cross to Outlander, or Compass to Cherokee, or 3008 to 5008, or Kadjar to Koleos. So naturally, it would be slightly cheaper than the Escape and slot in between EcoSport and Escape.

But the leaked photos don't really give us a very good idea on the exact size of the vehicle... we've only guessed based on the assumption that Escape is getting bigger AND that C-Max is going away so baby Bronco must be smaller than up coming new Escape. But it could very well be that baby Bronco and Escape are the same size and your theory that Ford is just offering two different takes on the same CUV is correct. And if that is the case, there is no doubt baby Bronco will command a price premium relative to Escape.

The only market C-Max is confirmed axed in is North America 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Or you could have had this beauty when you get your license in high school.  The other option was an orange hornet station wagon with plaid seats.

Let’s just say I was pretty sure the girls weren’t dating me for my car!

CF44B9B7-7995-46FB-8374-F8A3B2CAFC2E.jpeg

If it were painted anything other than poop brown , and lose that chrome trim strip up the side, that's actually a good looking car.  Bigger wheels that the doughnuts pictured would also help.

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

I was thinking along the same lines . . . 

Is it possible the Maverick/Baby Bronco, etc. be the same size as the Cherokee and closer to it as a competitor?  (Or between a Cherokee & Compass rather than a Renegade?)

10 hours ago, bzcat said:

As much as this pains me to say this, didn't @Assimilator mention from what he saw of the next gen Escape that it wasn't exactly a premium vehicle (vs what Ford has done with past improvements to products) and that would leave the door open for the Maverick to be the high end vehicle in the C class lineup? The other rumor is that the Bronco will be a "sub-brand" of Ford with two different products to cover the market and maybe be a fulcum point to go after Jeep products with, which would also allow a higher price point? 

But that still doesn't answer any questions of what the Short C and Gen X CUV programs where supposed to be-but then again the Maverick is just a surving design concept of the Bronco nameplate rebirth. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Is it possible the Maverick/Baby Bronco, etc. be the same size as the Cherokee and closer to it as a competitor?  (Or between a Cherokee & Compass rather than a Renegade?)

The Escape would be slotted against the Cherokee and the Baby Bronco would be slotted against the Compass. But if anything the Baby Bronco might be virtualy the same size as the current Escape as the next gen one grows a bit.

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

@silvrsvt It was Raptor that was rumored to be a sub brand.

I saw over on BroncoG6.com that the Bronco was going to be a sub-brand with the Maverick or whatever they call it. I saw the same thing about the Raptor also-but yet there are calls here that a Raptor Ranger wouldn't sell :drop:

I can see a Raptor Bronco-but maybe the Timberland name will be the "Jeep fighter" trim for the Bronco and Maverick?

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I saw over on BroncoG6.com that the Bronco was going to be a sub-brand with the Maverick or whatever they call it. I saw the same thing about the Raptor also-but yet there are calls here that a Raptor Ranger wouldn't sell :drop:

I can see a Raptor Bronco-but maybe the Timberland name will be the "Jeep fighter" trim for the Bronco and Maverick?

That doesn't really make much sense to have Bronco as a sub-brand but I'm down with a good rumor

The concern with bringing a Ranger Raptor over here isn't so much whether or not it would sell, but rather it might suck sales away from F-150 Raptor. A fully loaded Ranger Lariat is already creeping close to the starting price of the F-150 Raptor so logically a Ranger Raptor would end up being priced very similarly.

Just now, akirby said:

It would make more sense to have Raptor as the sub brand - Raptor F150, Raptor Bronco, Raptor Maverick, Raptor Expedition, Raptor Explorer.

Raptor Mustang, Raptor Transit, Raptor Mach 1, Raptor AV.........  ?

In all seriousness I could see a Transit Raptor being pretty damn fun. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The concern with bringing a Ranger Raptor over here isn't so much whether or not it would sell, but rather it might suck sales away from F-150 Raptor. A fully loaded Ranger Lariat is already creeping close to the starting price of the F-150 Raptor so logically a Ranger Raptor would end up being priced very similarly.

Once you start adding options to the F-150 Raptor, it hits 60K+ faster then you can say oh shit.

A loaded Ranger Raptor would top out around 50K

Not sure why you would make an off-roader the "high end" vehicle. A Maverick and Escape would occupy the C -CUV space the same way Raptor and Limited/Titanium/Lariat would with F150s. One has leather, toys and a high price. The other has big tires, skid plates and a high price.