Meet the 2020 Maverick (Baby Bronco)!

I don't know how they are going to price up the Maverick but it's based on a cheaper architecture than the new Escape, but it's certainly bigger than EcoSport.  You have to remember that Compass and Renegade are also based on B-Segment vehicles.  Like the Renegade, the Maverick looks bigger than it really is, Escape is still larger.  

No hybrid coming to Maverick, but it shares the same 1.5L I3 (Dragon) and 2.0L EcoBoost as the new 2020 Escape.  

BTW, Maverick (if that's what they use) has been more recently used on small utilities globally.

FORDMaverickSWB-2863_1.jpg

kisspng-ford-maverick-jeep-car-sport-uti

Edited by Assimilator

Maverick - an unorthodox or independent-minded person.    It's a good name for a niche cuv/whitespace vehicle that I assume Ford is targeting towards those Millennials I've been hearing about ?  Also Phil Jackson used it for his book back when the Knicks won the championship -  so it gets points for that.   Plus like America you can't spell Maverick with out Eric - so points from us Erics. 

Maverick.jpg

11 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

....And it's going into Hermosillo as a 2021 MY product (Job 1 9/21/2000).  So soon as Fusion stops production 2020, they'll switch over.  The plant is also getting the small Courier pickup and companion crossover.

Job 1 date, don't you mean 2020?

26 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Oh man, it is still 2 years from production?

I kind of find that hard to believe according to this:

https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=16287

The Fiesta doesn't have a 2020 production date-and it would make the most sense for it to go out of production next summer-which would be indicated by the TBD dates on that PDF. The New World isn't getting the next gen Fiesta, which is out in EU and I'm assuming China now. 

Also according to this article, the Fiesta goes out of production next May for North America-

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/27/heres-when-ford-will-stop-making-most-of-its-cars/

Unless the Mach1 is coming out first, what they going to build at Cuautitlán Assembly?

Edited by silvrsvt

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

....And it's going into Hermosillo as a 2021 MY product (Job 1 9/21/2000).  So soon as Fusion stops production 2020, they'll switch over.  The plant is also getting the small Courier pickup and companion crossover.

I know Ford has been delaying products and a bit slow to get products out lately, but 21 years is a bit ridiculous.... :hysterical:

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know what is happening at Cuautitlán Assembly but that's the Job 1 schedule for those cars.  It lines up fine with Hermosillo.  Maverick is really only a year behind the new Escape, it's not that far off and you don't want to overlap launches that closely anyway.  And yeah, Escape looks a little like a little like Focus Active but the surfacing and details are still quite different.  Look at the 2020 Explorer's surfacing details on the side and you'll recognize some of it in Escape, just not as dramatic.  

Edited by Assimilator

The most sensible guess is Maverick (and potential Escape overflow) to Cuautitlán for late 2019 start (MY2020), and Model E formerly known as MACH1 to Hermosillo in 2020 start (MY2021).

The smaller CUV (I think this is the new EcoSport) and Courier pickup will probably be in Hermosillo as well since Model E won't need the entire plant capacity.

3 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I don't know what is happening at Cuautitlán Assembly but that's the Job 1 schedule for those cars.  It lines up fine with Hermosillo.  Maverick is really only a year behind the new Escape, it's not that far off and you don't want to overlap launches that closely anyway.  

Makes me wonder how debuts will go....

Obviously Escape will debut this show season (whether at a show or its own thing)...

But will Maverick be shown this season or next, considering they've already shown dealers what looks like a pretty finished model.

Both Explorer and Escape should be debuting within the next month or so, I know Aviator is happening next week on the 28th.  I'm hoping we get a Bronco and/or Mach 1 concept in January, the last Detroit show for 18+ months so I think they should make a splash alongside so many other important all-new debuts.  Attitudes about Ford will hopefully change soon because of it, all depends on how well Hackett and Farley orchestrate this.  

I actually think it's interesting that Escape or Corsair hasn't been spotted in the buff yet.  

Edited by Assimilator

6 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Both Explorer and Escape should be debuting within the next month or so, I know Aviator is happening next week on the 28th.  I'm hoping we get a Bronco and/or Mach 1 concept in January, the last Detroit show for 18+ months so I think they should make a splash alongside so many other important all-new debuts.  Attitudes about Ford will hopefully change soon because of it, all depends on how well Hackett and Farley orchestrate this.  

I actually think it's interesting that Escape or Corsair hasn't been spotted in the buff yet.  

That is interesting. I wonder if they’re only out at night? I remember it wasn't until after the 2015 Mustang was shown we really started seeing the mules driving around in daylight. I wonder if the same thing is happening here for some reason. 

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That is interesting. I wonder if they’re only out at night? I remember it wasn't until after the 2015 Mustang was shown we really started seeing the mules driving around in daylight. I wonder if the same thing is happening here for some reason. 

Well, we've already seen plenty of Escape and Corsair testers:

Image result for 2020 escape muleImage result for 2020 corsair spy shots

8 hours ago, Ron W. said:

Agreed, just doesn't seem right to name a CUV? after what was for all intents and purposes a sports car.

Just another opinion.

The Maverick was in no way, shape, or form a sports car. When  it was introduced it was Ford’s cheapest car. It did eventually have the 302 but it still handled like the economy car that it was. 

47 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

The Maverick was in no way, shape, or form a sports car. When  it was introduced it was Ford’s cheapest car. It did eventually have the 302 but it still handled like the economy car that it was. 

Oh yeah, the Maverick was based on the Falcon platform of 1960.  It was an economy car all the way.  Several friends of my friends owned them in the early 70's because they were cheap (though reliable).  Personally, I don't hold the name in high esteem.

12 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

I guess using horse names for Bronco as well as cars (Mustans, Maverick, Pinto) wasn't an issue back then.

If they need a new horse name that wasn't used on a car, they could use Stallion. 

A maverick is an unbranded bovine, not a horse. They've used the Stallion name on a few concept cars.