Meet the 2020 Maverick (Baby Bronco)!

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh damn, I completely missed that.

So the Maverick and Bronco look way more similar than I actually thought. 

I missed it too until now.

1 minute ago, blksn8k2 said:

The pic with the white top kinda gives it an FJ Cruiser vibe...

Except the FJ was hideous.  This actually looks good.

Just now, akirby said:

Pretty sure it's going to the Fiesta plant that I can never remember how to spell.

I think your right, I just looked at the 2020 production schecle that was posted-Fiesta production stops August 2019-so I guess the Maverick will be out as a late 2019 or early 2020 CY product.

My first thought was that Ford benchmarked the Jeep Renegade. Very similar proportions.  So long as it's not "THE BRONCO", this'll be an acceptable sales-adder for Ford on the cheap end of the market.

Now they better not release this thing before the real Bronco. That will just confuse everyone but the diehard enthusiasts as most will think this is the long-awaited Bronco (especially if they call it "Bronco II").  Jeep will have a PR field day making fun of the knife Ford brought to Wrangler's gunfight.

7 minutes ago, bzcat said:

This is very cool looking CUV. Ford will do really well with it.

Looks like it is about the size or current Escape. Maybe a little smaller.

I was looking at the Jeep lineup just now:

Cherokee- Overall Length 182"

Compass- OL 173"

Renegade-OL 166"

Ford current lineup:

Edge 188.8"

Escape 178.1"

Ecosport 161.3"

The Edge doesn't directly compete with the Jeep lineup right now (unless you want to compare it to the JGC)-so I would expect the next gen Escape to grow about 3-4 inches to fit a "useless" third row in the back and to better compete with other C class CUVs

The Maverick would be roughly the same size as the current Escape-maybe an inch smaller overall due to styling (which reminds me of a moderinzed 2004 Bronco Concept)

The question of the hour is the Ecosport-Ford still needs a "cheap" car IMO, so it would make sense to keep the Ecosport around and I think the next gen one would do pretty well with input from the EU and US markets.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I was looking at the Jeep lineup just now:

Cherokee- Overall Length 182"

Compass- OL 173"

Renegade-OL 166"

Ford current lineup:

Edge 188.8"

Escape 178.1"

Ecosport 161.3"

The Edge doesn't directly compete with the Jeep lineup right now (unless you want to compare it to the JGC)-so I would expect the next gen Escape to grow about 3-4 inches to fit a "useless" third row in the back and to better compete with other C class CUVs

The Maverick would be roughly the same size as the current Escape-maybe an inch smaller overall due to styling (which reminds me of a moderinzed 2004 Bronco Concept)

The question of the hour is the Ecosport-Ford still needs a "cheap" car IMO, so it would make sense to keep the Ecosport around and I think the next gen one would do pretty well with input from the EU and US markets.

Pretty sure the Edge would be directly compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Both only two rows and within an inch of each other in length.

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Pretty sure the Edge would be directly compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Both only two rows and within an inch of each other in length.

I was slightly suprised at how long the Cherokee was.

Just a personal preference, I'm hoping the full sized Bronco is less then 190 inches long. That is my biggest complaint about my SHO-its too fucking big. 

if the Bronco is roughly the size of the current Mustang, I'd be happy.

I think it looks pretty good. If the backseat has 1-2” more legroom then the escape then this could go on my list.

do y’all think the proportions of the bronco in the back are to scale? It seems like it about half a foot to a foot taller then the maverick

1 minute ago, T-dubz said:

I think it looks pretty good. If the backseat has 1-2” more legroom then the escape then this could go on my list.

do y’all think the proportions of the bronco in the back are to scale? It seems like it about half a foot to a foot taller then the maverick

Not sure why they'd put it in there as a reference if it weren't to scale.

6 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

2019 Ranger Height- 71.5

2018 Escape (closest thing to the Maverick) 66.3 inches

So Almost a 5 inch difference, not figuring in any suspenison changes for the full sized bronco.

Edge definitely compares to Grand Cherokee and they are pretty much nearly identical in size.

Here is the length of some compact utilities for reference (rounded to the nearest full inch). * denotes optional 3rd row seats.

Ford C-Max 172"

Nissan Qashqai/Rogue Sport 173"

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 173"

Jeep Compass 174"

Renault Kadjar 175"

Subaru Impreza XV/Crosstrek  175"

Opel GrandlandX 176"

Hyundai Tucson 176"

Kia Sportage 176"

VW Tiguan 177" (standard size)

Ford Escape/Kuga 178" [Grand C-Max also 178")

Citroen C5 Aircross 178"

Mazda CX-5 179"

DS7 Crossback 180"

Subaru Forester 181"

*Honda CR-V 181"

Toyota RAV4 181" (the previous gen was 184" so the 2019 model shrink a little)

*Peugeot 5008 182"

Mazda CX-4 182"

Jeep Cherokee 182"

Chevy Equinox 183"

GMC Terrain 183"

*Nissan Rogue/X-Trail 183"

Renault Koleos/QM6 184"

Buick Envision 184"

*Mitsubishi Outlander 185"

*VW Tiguan Allspace 185"

*Skoda Kodiaq 185"

* Seat Tarraco 186"

There is about 7 or 8" of daylight between compact short and compact long - e.g. VW Tiguan (177") vs. VW Tiguan Allspace (185").

I'm going to guess the new Escape will probably land somewhere between 182" and 185"; and Baby Bronco will be between 175" and 178"

Edited by bzcat

The Edge and Grand Cherokee might be close in dimensions, but they're not really competitors at present. The Edge is a crossover, while the GC is still an SUV. Sure it has(and has always had) a unibody, but the running gear and suspension are clearly that of a truck. But I've read that the next GC will be based on the same platform as the Alfa Romeo Guilia and Stelvio, and will thus become a crossover.

I still can't get over that fascia on an otherwise nicely crafted body design.  It's too bad, the sketches looked far better. They probably had to make some compromises that required a total rethink up front. 

I don't think this will be a big seller, especially if you look at the Renegade vs the Compass, this is still a fairly small customer base and the Ford will be more expensive than both.  Compass sells 2X+ more than Renegade despite being the more expensive option.

Edited by Assimilator

I'm not exactly sure where the Maverick is positioned but I know it was being developed off of Fiesta mules so although it's probably C-Segment sized I'm not entirely sure it's C-Segment based.  I still think it's going to be positioned as a cheaper alternative to Escape that competes more closely with the new Trax, Compass, and Renegade (all of which are based on B-Segment architectures).  I think that would make some sense, otherwise you're just selling an Escape with an alternative appearance and prevents you from competing more directly with the volume competitors.

EcoSport is getting a replacement around 2022 which is also getting a pick-up version.  Chevy also adding a smaller utility to be positioned beneath the new larger and more expensive Trax.  So I think the Big 3 will each have 2 vehicles in these entry level segments.  

Either way I don't think Maverick has the potential to be the volume seller, it has a relatively eccentric personality like the Renegade.  But if they can sell 8,000 units a month, that would be pretty decent.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I don't think this will be a big seller, especially if you look at the Renegade vs the Compass, this is still a fairly small customer base and the Ford will be more expensive than both.  Compass sells 2X+ more than Renegade despite being the more expensive option.

Maybe because the Renegade looks like a 4 door Wrangler that was left out in the sun too long? The new Compass looks like a mini GC.

I don't see the Maverick starting any more then $21K (which is the same price point as the Compass) in the US. You still have to have space for Ecosport and Escape..

As for styling-I'm not quite sure that we are seeing a production verison of the Maverick either from these photos-it looks like a concept or pre-production concept.

Compared to the Renegade (and initial sketch) I do like the thinner more horizontal/wrapped fascia elements, I think that's what the final design is trying to achieve.  This is also a signature Ford design preference...at the moment anyway.  I'm a little iffy about the prominent 'filler' pieces across the front which sits above the tiny bumper.  I've never been a big fan of the small bumper thing, it always looks cutesy retro. 

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

I still can't get over that fascia on an otherwise nicely crafted body design.  It's too bad, the sketches looked far better. They probably had to make some compromises that required a total rethink up front. 

Contrary point of view, the front end is the vehicle's most redeeming feature.  It has personality, something that has been sorely lacking in many Ford vehicles as of late.  

• Like 3