Are Vehicles with the Coyote Engine being held for inspection

michjbthemh

I ordered a 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 on April 12th. It was built on October 4th and I had an ETA of October 28th. I have been given the run around and finally was told that my car was at the assembly plant and all vehicles with the coyote engine are being held for inspection and possible repair. I just would like to know if this is true because as of right now, all my dealership can (or will) tell me about the status of my order is the last update on my order is October 4th, in production, pending ETA update. Any response is appreciated and thank you so very much for your time.

It will be interesting to see what this is all about.   Lots of discussion of this quality hold on the Mustang forums.   There has been too many people complaining of engine issues with the Coyote for it to be a non-issue.   I still think many are confusing normal DI/HPFP noise with something more serious but there is something awry with some of these engines.   Of course, the quality hold could be for the manual transmission forks...another known issue.    I think the hold also is for cars with the automatic so it is likely not for the MT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brucelinc said:

It will be interesting to see what this is all about.   Lots of discussion of this quality hold on the Mustang forums.   There has been too many people complaining of engine issues with the Coyote for it to be a non-issue.   I still think many are confusing normal DI/HPFP noise with something more serious but there is something awry with some of these engines.   Of course, the quality hold could be for the manual transmission forks...another known issue.    I think the hold also is for cars with the automatic so it is likely not for the MT.

Curious to know if anyone is able to give us more visibility on this? I’d rather know it’s a delay for a confirmed change(s). It would actually make me more confident in my built given Ford is concerned not to release until it’s right. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be great to know what this is about.  It may or may not have anything to do with the infamous coyote tick/knock/slap/whatever.  When my 2010 MKS was on order, it was part of a quality hold.   It turned put to be the best car I ever owned and I never did find out what the issue was.  

• Like 1

I'm sure nobody will update us here, as I expect it is best to not discuss work in public, but it would be nice to get some feedback from Ford about why orders are being held and delayed for such a long time. It might be something as simple as a parts shortage, but that doesn't stop rumours and speculation when there is no communication.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Need For Green UK said:

I'm hearing the same rumours which is why I have registered and joined up here. I have a NFG GT which is supposed to be built this week according to the blend date, but it now looks like there is a hold on it.

Just curious, how do you know there is a hold on yours? Did your salesman tell you that or Ford Order Tracking?

24 minutes ago, ia2004anderson said:

Someone on Mustang6g said the car they ordered was built on 10/3 and is not listed as a parts hold for a PCM.  Although that person also said they aren't buying that story.  But it is another piece to the puzzle.

What does this mean? I don't understand parts hold for PCM? Do you know what that persons status is? I am on that forum and I didn't see that post. I am going to go look for it now.

I'm in the UK so can't use the same system you use in the US. I do have access to Etis which gives you some details and I can also get my window sticker and my dealer told me on his system the car was due to be built on the 12th of November, the blend on the sticker was 20181114.

Today I checked Etis and the build date is 30.11.0002 which I believe means a hold until the 30th of November. I'm going to reach out to my dealer tomorrow to clarify. I'm not in any rush as I don't want it turning up in the Winter months anyway and if there are fixes required, then I would like that to happen as well.

Edited by Need For Green UK

2 minutes ago, michjbthemh said:

What does this mean? I don't understand parts hold for PCM? Do you know what that persons status is? I am on that forum and I didn't see that post. I am going to go look for it now.

PCM is the Engine Control Module 

here is the link 

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anyone-who-has-received-a-factory-order-since-september-2018.112562/#post-2390020 

6 minutes ago, Need For Green UK said:

I'm in the UK so can't use the same system you use in the US. I do have access to Etis which gives you some details and I can also get my window sticker and my dealer told me on his system the car was due to be built on the 12th of November, the blend on the sticker was 20181114.

Today I checked Etis and the build date is 30.11.0002 which I believe means a hold until the 30th of November. I'm going to reach out to my dealer tomorrow to clarify. I'm not in any rush as I don't want it turning up in the Winter months anyway and if there are fixes required, then I would like that to happen as well.

Well, thank you for your answer. I ordered NFG too! I did get to see one in person and the color is beautiful!!! Please keep us posted. 

• Like 1

I have a 2019 Mustang GT Fastback (#300A, Automatic, Ford Safe & Smart, Active Valve Performance Exhaust) that was ordered for dealer stock and reported as "Produced" via Vehicle Visibility as of 10/03/2018. I contacted Ford's BAC (Business Assistance Center) on 11/06/2018 and received the following reply...

• We have identified the unit in question is affected by a plant hold. Projected timing for release of this vehicle is 11/02/2018 at the earliest while another hold has yet to have a release date established. This date indicates when the vehicle may be released from the plant, but is subject to change.

Note that I contacted the BAC on 11/06/2018 and they said that the projected release date was 11/02/2018. I contacted the BAC again this morning and received the following reply...

• We have identified the unit in question is affected by a plant hold. Projected timing for release of this vehicle is TBD.

The BAC never gives information on the reason(s) for a plant hold. 

Unfortunately, plant holds are all too common for the Mustang in addition to the usual shipping issues out of the Flat Rock plant. My Mustang Demo was sold about three weeks ago and I was going to wait for this car to drive but am now driving a leftover 2018 Mustang EcoBoost. As frustrating as it is, better that any issues are addressed at the plant.

Hope this helps!

1FA6P8CF7K5128977_WS.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michjbthemh said:

Just curious, how do you know there is a hold on yours? Did your salesman tell you that or Ford Order Tracking?

Well Ford won't ever say it outright unless it's  part of a larger stop sale due to a recall or something like that. Generally if it's sitting at the plant for a while and it's status hasn't moved to "awaiting shipment" it means it's either been built and needs a repair right off the line or in some cases, it might be held for something else. 

Its a lot harder to tell with Mustangs though because if you ordered stripes it takes extra time for those to be pained (it's sent to another building on site after assembly for stripes) and when dealers look it up on the tracking page it just shows up as "produced". There's also the fact that for whatever reason the Flat Rock Plant is notorious for unexplained shipping delays. I was helping a guy with his Lincoln Continental literally all summer. It was sitting and nobody on any level could figure out why. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well Ford won't ever say it outright unless it's  part of a larger stop sale due to a recall or something like that. Generally if it's sitting at the plant for a while and it's status hasn't moved to "awaiting shipment" it means it's either been built and needs a repair right off the line or in some cases, it might be held for something else. 

Its a lot harder to tell with Mustangs though because if you ordered stripes it takes extra time for those to be pained (it's sent to another building on site after assembly for stripes) and when dealers look it up on the tracking page it just shows up as "produced". There's also the fact that for whatever reason the Flat Rock Plant is notorious for unexplained shipping delays. I was helping a guy with his Lincoln Continental literally all summer. It was sitting and nobody on any level could figure out why

Thank you for this. It explains a lot. I was told mine is held for engine issues but I did order a Need For Green Mustang GT which does come standard with stripe so.........It's anyone's guess. I just know at this point, I probably will not see my Mustang until January.