Have an '11 Crown Vic with 280k that's been used as a delivery vehicle most of it's life. Just got it so I'm not too familiar with it's history.

Two days ago I noticed at idle the engine had a variable missing / jerk shaking pattern, but otherwise drove fine. Next day the driving is much rougher. It seems to miss somewhat going through the first 3 gears but it's manageable with varying gas pedal. It's not until you get into O/D that things really start to shake. Soon as it switches up the whole car goes into a rumble. You either have to let off the gas or press harder, as acceleration seems to calm it down some. Engine light is permanently on and flashes when the rumbling is at it's worst. Wish I had some codes to quote but haven't had a chance to get it hooked up yet. Mechanic who I gave a ride to yesterday said it felt like a bad oxygen sensor. I asked if it could be an injector and he said the missing would be more consistent if it was.

I'll be getting it read asap but in the meantime thought I would get yalls thoughts on it. What else could it possibly be other than an O2 sensor?

Thanks for the direction YT.  Might be a coil.  I replaced 7 of the plugs last month.  One won't come out and I haven't figured out what to do about it just yet.

Wish I had remembered this earlier but about a week before this started I ran the best part of a can of seafoam in through the break booster intake, let it soak and put on the old smoke show. This one was particularly impressive. I've heard doing this can trigger a code for a bad O2 sensor, but that you just clear the code and go on. Wonder if that much smoke turned out to be the last straw for one of the sensors and it just failed?

Did I see somewhere how you can clean one of these sensors with a blow torch?