Harvick penalty

coupe3w

I wonder if they only checked the winner for this spoiler issue?  He passed post inspection....but they apparently did intense inspections after that, which I wonder if that was a standard after this race or due to the impact on winning a final spot for the championship? 

Edited by bobbyd

I have to admit I didn't watch much of the Phoenix race and probably missed some stuff but by virtue of a fifth place finish Harvick did still manage to squeak into the Final Four on points. He qualified on the pole but didn't seem to be much of a threat to win. Almost seemed like they were being ultra conservative and did only what they had to to make the cut. Kinda makes you wonder if they were just trying avoid any further scrutinization from NASCAR?

A lot of Harvick making it in was also due to the misfortune of others, especially Elliott and Harvick's own teammate, Kurt Busch, who were both caught up in a wreck with Dinny (Dale Jr pronunciation) Hamlin during a late race restart.

It was also interesting to hear some of the speculation/rumors about who is going where for next season. They did finally confirm the rumor that Truex is replacing Suarez at JGR and that his crew chief will be there as well. Nothing announced yet about Kurt Busch's future with SHR. Dale Jr claims he is either staying put at SHR or will be replacing McMurray at Ganassi. I always assumed Kurt was keeping the 41 seat warm for Cole Custer who is probably still another year away from being Cup ready. Although Jr said Suarez might go to the 41 that doesn't make sense to me since he is still pretty young and why bring him in for a year only to be replaced by Custer? I guess another possibility would be that Suarez does go to the 41 and they put Custer in the 4 car if and when Harvick ever retires. Stenhouse is also one of Stewart's old sprint car buds and it wouldn't surprise me to see him at SHR eventually although he is signed with RFR through 2021. My guess is that Tony also had something to do with that odd Stenhouse/Patrick thing.

21 hours ago, bobbyd said:

I wonder if they only checked the winner for this spoiler issue?  He passed post inspection....but they apparently did intense inspections after that, which I wonder if that was a standard after this race or due to the impact on winning a final spot for the championship? 

They took several cars to the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, NC for additional post race inspection and that is where they found the rear spoiler infraction. It was offset to one side more than is allowed by the rules. I think that extra inspection is part of NASCAR's normal process and had nothing to do with the championship. They also fined the 12 and 20 cars neither of which is in the running.  

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

They took several cars to the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, NC for additional post race inspection and that is where they found the rear spoiler infraction. It was offset to one side more than is allowed by the rules. I think that extra inspection is part of NASCAR's normal process and had nothing to do with the championship. They also fined the 12 and 20 cars neither of which is in the running.  

I understand inspections, but after reading how ONE inspector visually spotted the unusual spoiler after a whole gaggle of others missed it , made me share this comment from one of race fan blogs....

"Hmmm...let me see if I've got this straight. "It was offset to the right. ...let's say between 200 and 300 thousandths." (Of an inch, I assume?) "...there was something that one of the inspectors saw that kind of made them a little bit suspicious." Really? You're telling us an inspector just happened to spot something that was 200 to 300 THOUSANDTHS OF AN INCH out of place, and that's why you decided to inspect it further? If you've got tech inspectors with that kind of eyesight, why the hell are you wasting money on lasers?"

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I doubt that story of one inspector visually noticing the spoiler being off. 

The winning car almost always goes back to R&D after the race for a breakdown inspection. That's why it was caught. 

There was also an issue with the spoiler mounting hole locations not matching the approved part. 

But who cares? We all know facts don't matter on the internet...

20 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh I didn't know that part of it. 

That was mentioned by Dave Moody on his radio program. I tend to believe him over most of the stuff I read on the internet. He can be a bit of a jerk to anyone who calls in but I guess that's just part of the entertainment value. He is also a NASCAR Homer but whatever. I guess that's no different than some of the Ford Homers around here. I have been known to be one of those myself at times, especially when it comes to racing. This time of year I tend to listen to either the Sirius NASCAR or NFL channel more than music. LOL.

The Harvick team appears to have a big challenge for Sunday's race....especially after the Toyota finalists are running up front, strong and happy. Harvick could use his crew chief, as well as a better performing car this Sunday  ! The odds look like another Toyota Championship...! I hope I'm wrong!

26 minutes ago, bobbyd said:

The Harvick team appears to have a big challenge for Sunday's race....especially after the Toyota finalists are running up front, strong and happy. Harvick could use his crew chief, as well as a better performing car this Sunday  ! The odds look like another Toyota Championship...! I hope I'm wrong!

We haven't seen final practice yet.   That team is pretty good at tweaking the car during the race, too.   I do agree that losing Childers for this race is not a good thing.

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

We haven't seen final practice yet.   That team is pretty good at tweaking the car during the race, too.   I do agree that losing Childers for this race is not a good thing.

More bad news...Denny Hamlin gave Kyle Busch the #1 Pit to help gain advantage in the race!!! I'd put my hopes on Logano as a potential to replace Harvick 's struggling team...but Joey/Penske isn't anywhere near as strong as those 2 Toyotas!!! Its going to take either an accident or engine failure to stop them!! Bummer!

Edited by bobbyd

19 hours ago, coupe3w said:

How about this? 5 laps to go Truex in the lead, Lagano 2nd, Busch 3rd, and Harvick 4th. Lagano hits Truex going for the lead and takes both of them out. Busch runs over debris and gets a flat and hits the wall. Harvick wins!

Dude, you did get the prediction correct about Busch "hits the wall!" Unfortunately , it was during Saturday practice!