What Else Can Ford Buy?

Having used these (Bird, Lime) It is actually very smart, Ford needs to become a mobility company and if that means offering last mile scooters and E-bikes so be it in addition to offering vehicles. They offer great last two mile transportation. As people move to City's the need to own a car becomes less and less and even if you do own a car in a City you are not going to drive it 2 miles to miles to a destination and look and pay for parking. Your old options were Lyft/Taxi, Mass transit in a few cities that have a decent system, or walk. 

Usually fare is $1 to unlock and .15 cents a minute. Cheaper than any of the options above short of walking but 2 miles walking is 25 min, the scooter is 5. 

The profit and revenue stream is actually very substantial. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Wonder if they'll get any Ford branding?

How else will people know about Ford Mobility

I hope they get Ford branding, they also need to be better than the other two so you would want to chose them. Lime scooters are nicer (foot area is wider and go a bit faster) than the Bird ones so I try to use the Lime more often if both are available.  Little things like that make a difference.

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

Not so good in the snow belt. And with an aging population on the rise, this is just a plane waste of money that could have gone into R&D.

The population world wide is getting younger, and my 70 and 72 year old parents ride them to get around the city and love them. The majority of the world doesn’t live where snow is an issue let alone be an issue year long. I don’t think most people realize the massive transformation that is going to happen over the next 20 years to cities and transportation. 

If they run this right it will be very successful, These scooters also force young people to get drivers licenses as you need to be licensed to drive one making them possible vehicle renters or owners later in life. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The population world wide is getting younger, and my 70 and 72 year old parents ride them to get around the city and love them. The majority of the world doesn’t live where snow is an issue let alone be an issue year long. I don’t think most people realize the massive transformation that is going to happen over the next 20 years to cities and transportation. 

If they run this right it will be very successful, These scooters also force young people to get drivers licenses as you need to be licensed to drive one making them possible vehicle renters or owners later in life. 

The world population is getting older.......

http://www.limitlessearthplc.com/the-worlds-population-is-getting-older/

Wait till someone gets hurt and the law suits start. This is just a gimmick for the young skateboard crowed.

30 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Wait till someone gets hurt and the law suits start. This is just a gimmick for the young skateboard crowed.

I haven't seen anybody under college-age riding them around here. I have seen plenty of middle-aged and older folks riding them, though.

Interestingly enough, I've mostly seen them being ridden in pairs; I hardly ever see one person riding alone.

16 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

why would you need a drivers license for a scooter?

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

why would you need a drivers license for a scooter?

I was wondering the same thing.  Maybe it's because it's rented?  Or possibly because it is motorized.  I know that when we go camping in state parks, electric and motorized scooters are to only be driven by licensed individuals.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:51 AM, jasonj80 said:

I hope they get Ford branding, they also need to be better than the other two so you would want to chose them. Lime scooters are nicer (foot area is wider and go a bit faster) than the Bird ones so I try to use the Lime more often if both are available.  Little things like that make a difference.

Well said jasonj80. The GoBike bicycle sharing program in the San Francisco area does a good job with Ford branding, even though it's operated by a separate company (Motivate).

split-promo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...