Coyote engine noises

brucelinc

The Mustang forums and Mustang Facebook groups have MANY stories of engine noises on the 5.0.    There have been reports on all years but more on the 2018s than earlier years.   Some describe a "tick" which may be normal direct injection noise but there are also reports of the "tick" in earlier engines without DI.    More concerning are reports of rattling and knocking.   Several people have reported getting new engines under warranty.   There have also been buy-backs.    There are other cases where Ford has said the noises were normal.    There has been speculation about piston slap, cam phaser noise, loose rod and/or main bearing tolerances, and wrist pins.  I have heard some online videos that do demonstrate severe noise that is definitely not normal fuel injector noise.    I have also seen pictures showing scuffed cylinder walls.    I think there are too many stories about this to say that it is just a rare anomaly.   

Mine is perfectly quiet other than the normal DI and high pressure fuel pump noise.   Even that is as quiet as my 3.0 Continental and MUCH quieter than my old 3.5 Ecoboost.   It seems that some engines are fine and others are not.    Some have had the noise appear with very few miles, others with 5000 miles or so and still others not at all.

Would any techs or others on the forum be willing to share an opinion or their thoughts on this subject?    

For sure, similiar problems have occurred with the Road Runner engine as well. That was the upgraded version of the Coyote used in the Boss 302. Aside from the 5/50WT oil which is mandatory more that one has developed the infamous  "tick". This is nothing more than performing the first due oil change and there it is.  Now a TSB was issued to add this Ford approved oil thinner/distillate as it was thought the oil viscosity was too thick. Seemed to be the fix in some instances and others just lived with the problem.

Nobody could ever figure out the cause, many guesses have prevailed over the years, well since '12/'13 anyways. Possibly further info on this is available by now I'm not aware of. No problems with mine but I don't run it a 7K RPM all day either.image.jpeg.a731f4f9ebffd456ac2fb03a85e27fdb.jpeg

Finally getting to see some comments.    Thanks guys.    Yeah, I have discovered a lot of info on this from perusing the F150 forums as well as the Mustang forums.   I still am not sure about the cause but the issue does seem to be real and much too common.     I think some people with 2018s are confusing normal direct injection and high pressure fuel pump noise with the more serious internal knock.   However, there are plenty of cases of knocking that is more disturbing than just the fuel injection system.

Again, mine is fine....so far.   I haven't exactly babied the engine, either.      

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my 2019 mustang around april and picked it up mid july.. It currently has 1523 miles. It has developed what sounds like a  ticking noise that has proggressively gotten louder and louder almost sounds  as if a lifter is dry or something. I work at a Toyota dealership here down south and one of our techs is an ex ford tech so I called him over and started the car for him. After he heard the noise he recommended I take it to the dealer because he said it didnt sound normal.. I took like 3 videos during cold start with the loud tick and sent them to a Ford service advisor recommended by my salesman..  Im taking it on 11/30 to see what they tell me..

15 hours ago, Mike305 said:

I ordered my 2019 mustang around april and picked it up mid july.. It currently has 1523 miles. It has developed what sounds like a  ticking noise that has proggressively gotten louder and louder almost sounds  as if a lifter is dry or something. I work at a Toyota dealership here down south and one of our techs is an ex ford tech so I called him over and started the car for him. After he heard the noise he recommended I take it to the dealer because he said it didnt sound normal.. I took like 3 videos during cold start with the loud tick and sent them to a Ford service advisor recommended by my salesman..  Im taking it on 11/30 to see what they tell me..

Please keep us posted.    There is a ridiculous amount of chatter on the forums, on YouTube, and on Facebook about these Coyote engine noises.   There is speculation of the causes, outright misinformation, people hearing things that aren't there and people hearing noises that are quite normal.   There are also videos of engine sounds that clearly are troubling.    This results in fear, uncertainty and doubt among owners and many prospective buyers.

It seems that almost all Coyote engines since 2011 have some valve train noise (tick) that is totally normal.    The 2018+ models with Direct Injection/High Pressure Fuel Pumps have the normal noise associated with that as well as the typical valve train noise.    However, there also seems to be more cases than one would expect of abnormal noises and cases of engines being replaced under warranty.  I have no idea how widespread the serious issues really are.

• 2 weeks later...

This video link is my engine sounding during cold start. It sounds like this every time I cold start it.  I took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago, left the car overnight so they can hear the engine at cold start and I’m sure you can guess what happened next. The advisor called me a few hours after the dealer opened and said they couldn’t duplicate the noise. I told him “What do you mean you couldn’t duplicate the noise. It does it every time I cold start the car. I showed you in the videos” I have 4 different videos I showed him of the engine tapping away. So upset I took the car home parked it in my driveway let it cool down waited about 8 hours, started the engine and voala,, it started tapping... Apparently the guy who checked my car had hearing problems or a case of the” I’m not chewing another engine bone” syndrome, hey, I get it,, I work at a Toyota dealership parts back counter myself and hear the techs talking about batting stuff away that they don’t want to do.. Well any how I was reading all over the web how other 2018-2019 owners are going thru similar situations with engine noises some having short blocks replaced and others having complete long blocks some have said they were on their 3rd engine and had engine noise after 3-400 miles. I didn’t want anyone touching my engine to have a bunch or parts thrown at it to still keep making noise so I started playing with the different grades of engine oils to see which one it sounded the least. Figuring that the performance pack ran a 5w50. That would be my last choice. I tried 5w20PUP full synthetic, motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic, 10w30PUP full synthetic, motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic and finally Mobil1 0w40.. So far with the Mobil1 0w40 it’s made the least noise. It had a very faint tick at start up so I added the miracle additive “Ceratec” to the 0w40 drove it for 10 miles or so it circulated well and so far it’s been 3 days and absolutely no noise what so ever. It sounds like a new engine. “In my case” 0w40 and Ceratec worked for me which leads me to believe “In my case” it’s not injector related, it’s something internal in the engine because why would it go away with thicker oil and an additive. Regardless, I’m happy as hell,, no noise. This time if it comes back I’ll put back 5w20, take it to the dealer, park it outside in the customer parking, take the keys home with me, come back the next day and have the service manager, advisor, tech and myself go the the parking lot and all have a group listen of my engine tapping away to see if no one hears it this time..

Edited by Mike305
Spell check

I agree...there is something going on there more than normal injection/HPFP noise.    If my car sounded like that and my dealer said, "they couldn't duplicate the noise," I would have to a nice polite chat with the service manager.   I do agree that you need to be present when they listen to it.

Ceratec has worked for several people.   It is clearly helping mask or add lubricant to whatever the noise is.   The car might run forever with that noise but I would not want to listen to that even if no damage is being done.    Since you mention cold starts, can I assume it was quiet when at full operating temp?    If so, it would seem that heat expansion is eliminating the noise.   

My engine sounds fine....as quiet as the 3.0 in my Lincoln.   I am going to make a video of it and save it just in case my car does develop the noise.   That way, I can show them what the hell is normal and what isn't.    Thanks to LSchicago for that idea.  

Ford issued a bulletin several years ago regarding their diesel engine that said in part:

The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was present in prior model year vehicles, but masked by other noises in the past. Because the 6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design improvements to reduce diesel engine noise, Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on previous products. Typewriter Noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability. Other manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the presence of this condition for a number of years.

Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine contributes to perceived differences in noise intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher, (from engine idle up to approximately 1700 RPM’s), this noise can typically be heard at the front wheel well and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. Typewriter Noise is a normal operating characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. 

The noise in question sounds much like the ticking noise many have with the Coyote.    The ticking is not the same as knocking or rattling that some people have complained about.     With all of the online chatter about noises in the Coyote, it would be nice if Ford issued some sort of service bulletin about it.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:51 AM, Mike305 said:

This video link is my engine sounding during cold start. It sounds like this every time I cold start it.  I took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago, left the car overnight so they can hear the engine at cold start and I’m sure you can guess what happened next. The advisor called me a few hours after the dealer opened and said they couldn’t duplicate the noise. I told him “What do you mean you couldn’t duplicate the noise. It does it every time I cold start the car. I showed you in the videos” I have 4 different videos I showed him of the engine tapping away. So upset I took the car home parked it in my driveway let it cool down waited about 8 hours, started the engine and voala,, it started tapping... Apparently the guy who checked my car had hearing problems or a case of the” I’m not chewing another engine bone” syndrome, hey, I get it,, I work at a Toyota dealership parts back counter myself and hear the techs talking about batting stuff away that they don’t want to do.. Well any how I was reading all over the web how other 2018-2019 owners are going thru similar situations with engine noises some having short blocks replaced and others having complete long blocks some have said they were on their 3rd engine and had engine noise after 3-400 miles. I didn’t want anyone touching my engine to have a bunch or parts thrown at it to still keep making noise so I started playing with the different grades of engine oils to see which one it sounded the least. Figuring that the performance pack ran a 5w50. That would be my last choice. I tried 5w20PUP full synthetic, motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic, 10w30PUP full synthetic, motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic and finally Mobil1 0w40.. So far with the Mobil1 0w40 it’s made the least noise. It had a very faint tick at start up so I added the miracle additive “Ceratec” to the 0w40 drove it for 10 miles or so it circulated well and so far it’s been 3 days and absolutely no noise what so ever. It sounds like a new engine. “In my case” 0w40 and Ceratec worked for me which leads me to believe “In my case” it’s not injector related, it’s something internal in the engine because why would it go away with thicker oil and an additive. Regardless, I’m happy as hell,, no noise. This time if it comes back I’ll put back 5w20, take it to the dealer, park it outside in the customer parking, take the keys home with me, come back the next day and have the service manager, advisor, tech and myself go the the parking lot and all have a group listen of my engine tapping away to see if no one hears it this time..

Here is what I consider a normal 2018 (or 2019) to sound like. This is my car with just under 800 miles. This is about 5-10 seconds after a fully cold start. 

Edited by LSchicago