Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
ZanatWork

Ford Flex AWD transmission confusion

Question

I'm really hoping that someone here can help with this.

OK, so...I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD. It's very "limited" right now, as its transmission gave up the ghost on me a month back. As I'd just lost my job and had other chaos hit at the same basic time, my autumn was off to a less-than-great beginning.

That said, I'm still paying on the car and genuinely love it when it's working. So...once re-employed, I began searching for a replacement transmission. I have a good friend with a shop, we can do the swap...but there's a confounding issue: "early" 2009 Flexes (like mine) take a different version of the transmission than those built after 5/2009...and the later transmissions are both easier to find and much cheaper.

I don't know what the difference is, and no area Ford dealer or transmission shop can seemingly tell me. I have enough in Paypal Credit to get one of the "latter" transmissions (with some warranty, even), but not the earlier version.

HELP?!!?

15 answers to this question

Honestly, you should have someone properly diagnose it. It could very well be just the PTU. No noise in neutral tends to rule out planetary failure, but it is hard to tell over the internet.:)

Should be the same tranny as the Edge. Let me post this over on the Edge forum. I don't remember any discussion about a different tranny.

Should be the same tranny as the Edge. Let me post this over on the Edge forum. I don't remember any discussion about a different tranny.

Much appreciated. The Flex is excellent for my overall needs/uses when working, and the rest of the car has been excellent.

There are FOUR potential versions for 09 Flex. Since you said its an AWD, that narrows it to two, dependent on final drive ratios. The build date split seems to be 5/10/09. Don't trust your build date, just in case. The best and easiest way would be to find the information sticker on the top of the trans. Early trans will say 9E9P-7000-KA. Late will say AA8P-7000-K*.

Edited by YT90SC

There are FOUR potential versions for 09 Flex. Since you said its an AWD, that narrows it to two, dependent on final drive ratios. The build date split seems to be 5/10/09. Don't trust your build date, just in case. The best and easiest way would be to find the information sticker on the top of the trans. Early trans will say 9E9P-7000-KA. Late will say AA8P-7000-K*.

He’s asking if the later trans which is cheaper and easier to find will work on an earlier vehicle.

What exactly failed in the trans? 6F50 failures are rare.

No. The early takes Mercon V fluid, the late takes Mercon LV, so valve body calibrations are different, and as stated, I believe there is a final drive ratio change there as well. I also doubt that the early PCM would allow use of the later TRID file that has to be loaded.

What exactly failed in the trans? 6F50 failures are rare.

Thats what I was thinking. Most 6f50 are TR, ISS, oss sensors. Have you had it diagnosed?

It locked up noisily while I was driving it, it sounded very mechanically tragic.  I haven't had it out and diagnosed yet, but it sounded like someone was dragging bicycle chains in a metal drum...and only park/neutral were doing ANYTHING.

Sadly, my abilities to get a proper diagnosis are very limited as the timing of the failure was truly unfortunate.  I only just started a new job and am beyond broke, which exacerbates the situation.

Can you push it forward/back in neutral? 

It locked up noisily while I was driving it, it sounded very mechanically tragic.  I haven't had it out and diagnosed yet, but it sounded like someone was dragging bicycle chains in a metal drum...and only park/neutral were doing ANYTHING.

Sadly, my abilities to get a proper diagnosis are very limited as the timing of the failure was truly unfortunate.  I only just started a new job and am beyond broke, which exacerbates the situation.

Strangely, I can't see any but the first response on this thread...?!

Now that the forum is back to normal, CAN you push it forward or back in neutral? PTU failure can "lock it up". 

23 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Now that the forum is back to normal, CAN you push it forward or back in neutral? PTU failure can "lock it up". 

I did push it in neutral a few times, now.

Does it make grinding noise when running, and not moving or only when trying to move it.  

It made noises in the driven gears, not in park/neutral.