Cold air intake

god503

Anyone know if there is a cold air intake for the 2018 navi's? I see ones for the 18 raptors... Does anyone know if those would work since its the same engine? trying to cut on the turbo lag. Dropped a KN filter in it and i can notice a slight impovement. Want to take it to the next step

Edited by god503

I haven't examined a Navigator but on the transverse 3.5 ecoboost applications, a CAI does nothing except add noise. Ford does a good job of routing outside air into the stock airbox via a snorkel that goes into the grill area. Typically, a CAI picks up more hot air from under the hood and can actually hurt performance.

Thats good to know. Adding noise is the last thing I would want to do. Im happy with the performance as is, if I made any changes it would be a tune of some sort as the shifting is sometimes weird..... it kinda hunts on occasion but I drive like a snail from time to time so I may be feathering the throttle which could cause that.

Thats good to know. Adding noise is the last thing I would want to do. Im happy with the performance as is, if I made any changes it would be a tune of some sort as the shifting is sometimes weird..... it kinda hunts on occasion but I drive like a snail from time to time so I may be feathering the throttle which could cause that.

FYI: from 2018 Lincoln Navigator Owners Manual third printing July 2018 ...

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning

This feature may increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation.

FYI: from 2018 Lincoln Navigator Owners Manual third printing July 2018 ...

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning

This feature may increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation.

Good to know, thanks. It feels like the hunting for gears is a more recent development... how long does it take to get fully learned? Ive had the truck since January and have close to 10k miles. Edited by boredinbirmingham

Good to know, thanks. It feels like the hunting for gears is a more recent development... how long does it take to get fully learned? Ive had the truck since January and have close to 10k miles.

The adaptive learning has taken place by now. A few hundred miles or fewer is typically all it takes. When you say "hunting," at what speed or speeds are you experiencing this? Is it jumping back and forth between gears for no apparent reason or do you feel that it is downshifting more than you expect? 9th and 10th are very close....069 and .064. It wouldn't surprise me if a heavy and boxy vehicle might downshift on a hill or if much acceleration is needed. My 10 speed Mustang is a totally different beast than a Navigator and it doesn't hunt at all but it doesn't take much throttle pressure to make it downshift. In normal drive, it is so smooth that if the gear wasn't shown on the instrument cluster, I probably wouldn't notice it.

The adaptive learning has taken place by now. A few hundred miles or fewer is typically all it takes. When you say "hunting," at what speed or speeds are you experiencing this? Is it jumping back and forth between gears for no apparent reason or do you feel that it is downshifting more than you expect? 9th and 10th are very close....069 and .064. It wouldn't surprise me if a heavy and boxy vehicle might downshift on a hill or if much acceleration is needed. My 10 speed Mustang is a totally different beast than a Navigator and it doesn't hunt at all but it doesn't take much throttle pressure to make it downshift. In normal drive, it is so smooth that if the gear wasn't shown on the instrument cluster, I probably wouldn't notice it.

It happens when Im driving slowly through either parking lots or neighborhoods at speeds of 30mph or less. I notice it when encountering any incline so it would be during downshifting. On regular driving I do not notice it... maybe if Im creeping toward a stop light I will.