Camaro ECOPO

Fgts

“Eight hundred volts is more than twice the voltage of the battery packs in the production Chevrolet Volt and Bolt EV, so the eCOPO pushes into new technological territory,” says O’Blenes.

New Technological territory? You know how you get 800 volts? You couple 4 200 volt battery packs. How do you get 1000? Add another battery pack. Sheesh.

Impressive performance though.

No mention of range or recharge times which is interesting.

• Like 1

As long as it makes it back from it's 1/4 mile run, that's all that matters.

I know but they could have at least mentioned that in the press release. Makes you wonder if they left it out on purpose to make people think this was more like a daily driver.

• Like 1

I think everyone knows COPO's are not street legal. At least I hope they would.

Most people never heard of COPO and I didn't know they weren't street legal.

That's not the point though - the point is about the electric capabilities where folks might think we could see such a drivetrain in a production vehicle.

• Like 1

Most people never heard of COPO and I didn't know they weren't street legal.

That's not the point though - the point is about the electric capabilities where folks might think we could see such a drivetrain in a production vehicle.

I'm just messing with ya akirb. I do believe when the battery technology comes to fruition all this will be possible. Maybe not 700+ HP though.

I'm just messing with ya akirb. I do believe when the battery technology comes to fruition all this will be possible. Maybe not 700+ HP though.

You can do 700+ HP but only for 1/4 mile at a time. I still think performance vehicles will be PHEVs like the new Aviator using battery assist along with a powerful ICE. All of the performance benefits and most of the BEV benefits with zero range anxiety.

BEVs make drag racing too easy and boring. Most of the fun is the ear-splitting roar of an ICE operating on the fine line between a clean run and scattering parts all over the track. Most of the driving skill is in how to manage the ICE powertband and get the power to the ground instead of just burning rubber.

A BEV that makes little noise, has a constant powerband, and computer controlled motors at all four corners managing traction and even steering just takes all the fun out of it. May as well just play a drag simulator video game.

Then again the ICE wins the specific energy game at some point due to gasoline's energy content vs batteries. All-out BEVs seem to run in the 9s pretty easy but I wonder if it's possible to fit enough batteries and big enough motors in a normal sized car to run 5s like you can with a 4000 hp blown big block and a tank of race fuel.

• Like 1

I know but they could have at least mentioned that in the press release. Makes you wonder if they left it out on purpose to make people think this was more like a daily driver.

I'm not sure how many more times they could have used the words "race car'" and "drag racing" in that press release.

Should be interesting to see what an eSCJ Mustang looks like.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

I'm not sure how many more times they could have used the words "race car'" and "drag racing" in that press release.

Lots of drag racing cars are street legal or can be made street legal so that doesn't mean anything. I just think a lot of folks will see this and think there will be a Camaro street car with similar performance and a 200 mile range.

• Like 1

BEVs make drag racing too easy and boring. Most of the fun is the ear-splitting roar of an ICE operating on the fine line between a clean run and scattering parts all over the track. Most of the driving skill is in how to manage the ICE powertband and get the power to the ground instead of just burning rubber.

A BEV that makes little noise, has a constant powerband, and computer controlled motors at all four corners managing traction and even steering just takes all the fun out of it. May as well just play a drag simulator video game.

Then again the ICE wins the specific energy game at some point due to gasoline's energy content vs batteries. All-out BEVs seem to run in the 9s pretty easy but I wonder if it's possible to fit enough batteries and big enough motors in a normal sized car to run 5s like you can with a 4000 hp blown big block and a tank of race fuel.

These comments echo those made in support of manual transmissions over automatics.