The Drive posts a scathing review of the 2019 Silverado

Anthony

This dude from TFL Truck mentions it in his video below. He said the Ford was smooth, but I didn't catch what he said about the Ram (was working while I listened to it :)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_vJh5jheaY

I watched it the whole thing just now. Granted this was a towing comparison, so the main focus was about towing, ease of towing, ride quality when towing and most comfortable on long hauls.

He tested the trucks on rutted gravel roads at speed.

I won't recap the Ford as you already watched that. But he liked it.

Chevy

He didn't mention anything really bad about the Chevy. He noted it was the most powerful of the three. He did say the interior was" plasticky". No mention of the outside styling. (he did not mention exterior styling on any of the trucks).

Ram

He said the Ram easily rides the best and smoothest out of all 3. Go to 30:00. He goes on and on about it for about 2 minutes and gushes over the air suspension.

He also said the Ram's interior "takes it by a mile". Just simply the best and not really any competition there.

Winner

While he said all the trucks are good, the one he would spend his money on was the Ram. Loved the air suspension and said it was the easiest truck to live with and tow with.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

I watched that video earlier. His biggest gripe about the Ford was the lack of kick in the power department. If they would have used the 3.5EB, that would be been a better match. I don't understand why they didn't compare all diesels or all gassers. It wasn't a good comparison in my book.

I'm sure if it would have been all 3 diesels, the Ford would have walked away with it.

I watched that video earlier. His biggest gripe about the Ford was the lack of kick in the power department. If they would have used the 3.5EB, that would be been a better match. I don't understand why they didn't compare all diesels or all gassers. It wasn't a good comparison in my book.

I'm sure if it would have been all 3 diesels, the Ford would have walked away with it.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure the 3.5L EB would have handily taken care of the other two in the power department.

Of course, had it been all 3 diesels, the Ford would have been the only one there.

He was not too impressed with the HEMI either. He liked the Chevy engine best but did not choose it as a winner. He chose the Ram more for everything else except the engine, at least thats what I got from the video. The engine is only one part of the package. Overall, he thought the Ram was a better truck.

I thought it was a pretty balanced review that lines up with most others journalists are saying about all three (well, minus the Chevy style bashing).

Edited by Anthony

Agree tbone. Chevy gambled with a polarizing exterior design but doesnt win with specs that matter (towing, payload, etc). RAM took the conservative approach with exterior design. RAM interior looks great with the big screen/center stack. Im guessing the the exterior design of the All new 2021? F-150 will be evolutionary but the technology will blow the completion away.

• Like 1

Silverado looks great in white. Except for that awful High Country badge.

Saw another one tonight (not a High Country). They look oddly tall/"pinched" upward, with all the design elements pushed up to the top of the body - the "CHEVROLET" on the hood in the top 3rd of the tailgate, the tall hood etc.

Fair point RMC. I have not seen the new Silverado in person. Basing my opinion on photos and videos such as the one posted in this thread. From the TFLTruck video/photos...the F-150 looks narrow and pinched next to the Silverado. Looks are subjective but I like the design of the Silverado in some of the photos, others not so much. On the other hand, the RAM is not all that attractive, especially the front end design.

Fair point RMC. I have not seen the new Silverado in person. Basing my opinion on photos and videos such as the one posted in this thread. From the TFLTruck video/photos...the F-150 looks narrow and pinched next to the Silverado. Looks are subjective but I like the design of the Silverado in some of the photos, others not so much. On the other hand, the RAM is not all that attractive, especially the front end design.

Hm. IMO, the Silverado looks far more narrow and pinched to do pulling the design elements up toward the top of the sheetmetal.

I've seen a few top end RAMs, and they do look sharp.

So now the Silverado looks like a Colorado? I swear some of you folks need to open your eyes. I own Fords and always have, but some of the comments regarding competing brands on this board are comical.

I think the Canyons look like the Sierras from a distance, so yes it is possible. But saying they look like the 19s is a far far stretch.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, mackinaw said:

Not to take the General's side, but this was the changeover year, so some truck production was lost as they changed from the old truck to the new one.

FWIW, in 2014 (the F150's changeover year), the F150 was down 10K units for the year in the US, while Canadian sales were actually up 4K units, so their net change was only down 6K units. That's pretty flipping amazing, given that they had to completely gut and rebuild DTP and KCAP to go from steel to 'loomnum. 

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Finally saw my first new Silverado today. This one was an LT trailboss. It was a dark blue color with the black front and wheels. I thought it actually looked pretty good.

The chromeless models look ok, particularly the Trailboss.