The Drive posts a scathing review of the 2019 Silverado

Anthony

Here's a more practical review of 2019 Silverado from Bloomberg. It says that growth for all full size pickup truck models will come from attracting rich urban people who want a pickup truck for the image. Not trying to get existing pickup owners to switch brands. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-29/chevy-aims-the-new-2019-silverado-pickup-at-rich-city-wannabees

If that is the case, I would expect this type of buyer to put emphasis on a quality interior, and based on what I have seen GMs new interior was pretty underwhelming by comparison to the competition.

If that is the case, I would expect this type of buyer to put emphasis on a quality interior, and based on what I have seen GMs new interior was pretty underwhelming by comparison to the competition.

Which is why I think Ram is increasing sales. Apparently the interior is top-notch, and the new touch-screen is pretty amazing. I like my Ford and think the ergonomics are superb (but why isn't there a freaking button for the heated steering wheel???), but it is showing it's age a bit compared to Ram.

I think the air suspension on the Ram is helping a bit as well.

• Like 1

Is ride quality really lacking with leaf springs? I'm not feeling it at all but we have pretty good roads. And I came from a Fusion and still have a MKX reserve. Wife has never complained about it either (riding or driving). It is a 2wd with standard payload so maybe that helps.

Which is why I think Ram is increasing sales. Apparently the interior is top-notch, and the new touch-screen is pretty amazing. I like my Ford and think the ergonomics are superb (but why isn't there a freaking button for the heated steering wheel???), but it is showing it's age a bit compared to Ram.

I think its to be expected the new Ram will exceed some of the capabilities/amenities of the F Series, since it is an all new truck competing against a four and two year old truck. I expect Ford will address any shortcomings with the new F150 and the refresh of the Superduty. The F150 still seems to be doing well against newer fresher competition though.

I appreciate good competition. It usually means better products for us.

• Like 1

It may be unreliable and is definitely cheaper, but I don't think you can call the new one Fugly. I think it looks just as good as the F150 inside and out.

Looks are subjective but I think the Ram is FUGLY.

Don't like the huge branding on the tailgate and grille (to be fair I don't like it on the F-series either, it's a dumb trend). The little plate telling you the engine/edition on the hood is ugly, and overall it's too over the top hideous.

Neighbor has one of the 19's and it's all blacked out, logos, everything. Almost like it's ashamed of itself.... Interesting is his previous was a Chevy.

I'm hoping for the next F150 redesign Ford hits it out of the park with the interior - the current one is great but that screen in the Ram is nice. That's about the only area Ford is lacking.

Edited by itguy09

Is ride quality really lacking with leaf springs? I'm not feeling it at all but we have pretty good roads. And I came from a Fusion and still have a MKX reserve. Wife has never complained about it either (riding or driving). It is a 2wd with standard payload so maybe that helps.

I cant really say for sure, because my last three trucks have been Raptors and that suspension is awesome. My sons 2012 F150 has a leveling kit which puts extra tension on the front springs so its hard to gauge the overall suspension feel because the truck rides stiffer overall. The rest of the F150s in my family and friends seem to have competent rides, but I have never ridden in a Ram with that package for comparison. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Looks are subjective but I think the Ram is FUGLY.

Don't like the huge branding on the tailgate and grille (to be fair I don't like it on the F-series either, it's a dumb trend). The little plate telling you the engine/edition on the hood is ugly, and overall it's too over the top hideous.

Neighbor has one of the 19's and it's all blacked out, logos, everything. Almost like it's ashamed of itself.... Interesting is his previous was a Chevy.

I'm hoping for the next F150 redesign Ford hits it out of the park with the interior - the current one is great but that screen in the Ram is nice. That's about the only area Ford is lacking.

You really hate FCA dont you, lol.

Ironically the Rams with the monochromatic packages are the only ones I like.

Overall, I think Rams screen is really the thing that sets its interior apart. That should be easy for Ford to match, and it is my understanding there is already one in the works.

• Like 1

If you've driven pickup trucks for a long time like me, ride quality of any newer pickup truck with leaf springs (all pickups except Ram 1500 and Honda Ridgeline) should be acceptable. Except maybe the hardcore off-road versions. ;)

But for a lot of people who are moving from cars to pickups for the first time, the Ram 1500's and Ridgeline's smoother ride quality could be a big selling point.

If you've driven pickup trucks for a long time like me, ride quality of any newer pickup truck with leaf springs (all pickups except Ram 1500 and Honda Ridgeline) should be acceptable. Except maybe the hardcore off-road versions. ;)

But for a lot of people who are moving from cars to pickups for the first time, the Ram 1500's and Ridgeline's smoother ride quality could be a big selling point.

Ford could make this type of suspension an option on the next generation to cover the bases.

• Like 1

Reliability is a problem, though. Sure, all redesigns take a year or so to work out kinks, but skip ahead to their last vehicle...

https://youtu.be/9fdcIwHKd_s

It's not a question of utility or function. It's about expectations. The high trim pickup truck buyers want to know they got the "best truck" and that often means it got all the options. If Ram offers air suspension and Ford doesn't, that's on Ford to fix the "problem". Plus there is probably a high overlap of F-150 Platinum owners and luxury SUVs. A lot of these buyers are used to having air suspensions. This is one of those things that I've mention before that Ford needs to have on anything bigger than Edge. For example, I'd guess at least 40~50% of potential Lincoln Aviator buyers will be coming out of a SUV with air (or at least adjustable) suspension. If Ford doesn't offer that as an option, some of those buyers may not want to go "backwards" on something they perceive as more advanced or high tech feature. The actual ride quality is not really a relevant consideration... if so, no one will opt for 21" wheels.

Edited by bzcat

Has anyone here test drove a Ram with that suspension for comparison to an F150? I would need to drive one to see if it is really a relevant debate. The coil overs have been on the Ram for a while and it didnt seem to have a major impact on the market.

Edited by tbone

Has anyone here test drove a Ram with that suspension for comparison to an F150? I would need to drive one to see if it is really a relevant debate. The coil overs have been on the Ram for a while and it didnt seem to have a major impact on the market.

This dude from TFL Truck mentions it in his video below. He said the Ford was smooth, but I didn't catch what he said about the Ram (was working while I listened to it :)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_vJh5jheaY

Back around 1979 I was driving a 76 F100 delivery truck and my brother had a 75 F100. A few of my friends had Chevy pickups. Ford had far better interiors way back then and nothing has changed in almost 40 years.

Back around 1979 I was 3. :hysterical:

Sorry, I've just been in one of those moods lately. Probably due to working 60 hours/week I guess.

• Like 1