The Drive posts a scathing review of the 2019 Silverado

Anthony

I see the local dealer has $11,528.00 off a 2019 Ram Big Horn for rodeo days here.

When does GM start shoveling on the cash?

Yes, I have seen at least $9k off of 2019 Rams advertised around here, which is surprising to me since FCA said they were going to be reducing discounts in order to drive up transaction prices on trucks.

Ford must always be cognizant of the competition, but GM better be particularly looking out for Ram.

Yes, I have seen at least $9k off of 2019 Rams advertised around here, which is surprising to me since FCA said they were going to be reducing discounts in order to drive up transaction prices on trucks.

They have to figure out how to move the Fugly unreliable Ram. Cheap sells and FCA is the masters of cheap junk.

They have to figure out how to move the Fugly unreliable Ram. Cheap sells and FCA is the masters of cheap junk.

It may be unreliable and is definitely cheaper, but I don't think you can call the new one Fugly. I think it looks just as good as the F150 inside and out.

It may be unreliable and is definitely cheaper, but I don't think you can call the new one Fugly. I think it looks just as good as the F150 inside and out.

Most of it, yes. However on the higher end models there's something not quite right to me with the front end. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though. It's more obvious in lighter colors than darker ones.

Who's worried? I haven't seen anyone worried.

Many here talking in general about "why GMC isn't Chevies?" or "how come no turbo 6 isn't offered?", or "its so behind in tech", like the twins come standard with 4-speed-auto, throttle-body v8 and rear-only ABS. If I hated GM that much I wouldn't care why they can't match what Ford is offering.

Most of it, yes. However on the higher end models there's something not quite right to me with the front end. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though. It's more obvious in lighter colors than darker ones.

Funny, to me, the higher trims are the only ones that look good.

Many here talking in general about "why GMC isn't Chevies?" or "how come no turbo 6 isn't offered?", or "its so behind in tech", like the twins come standard with 4-speed-auto, throttle-body v8 and rear-only ABS. If I hated GM that much I wouldn't care why they can't match what Ford is offering.

It's mocking them, hardly being worried.

It's also like F150 has stolen all the thunder from Silverado and Sierra in the last few years.

GM doesn't seem to be able to give the sizzle buyers desire to get them back in the showroom.

Kinda seems very subdued this time around, not the huge fanfare / better than Ford we normally get....

Edited by jpd80

It's also like F150 has stolen all the thunder from Silverado and Sierra in the last few years.

GM doesn't seem to be able to give the sizzle buyers desire to get them back in the showroom.

Kinda seems very subdued this time around, not the huge fanfare / better than Ford we normally get....

Don't worry...they'll start tossing tool boxes into the beds real soon.

I see the local dealer has $11,528.00 off a 2019 Ram Big Horn for rodeo days here.

When does GM start shoveling on the cash?

Ford must always be cognizant of the competition, but GM better be particularly looking out for Ram.

Remember, anyone can say they are offering tons of money off the hood, but remember to read the fine print (many include the rebates in it already ).

Ford does it too. Here's an older one for $10k off any 2017 F-150 XLT, though I've seen it lately as well. (of course, you have to finance via Ford and $4k of that is rebates already in place) . https://www.borman-autoplex.com/10000-off-ford-f-150-xlts/

Edited by Anthony

$10K off MSRP is typical combining rebates, dealer discounts and "package discounts".

I saw Silverados advertised at $14K off MSRP. GM might be the one having the fire sale right now.

Silverado sales averaged only 43K the last 3 months. Not good, especially if they already have big cash on the hood.

$10K off MSRP is typical combining rebates, dealer discounts and "package discounts".

I saw Silverados advertised at $14K off MSRP. GM might be the one having the fire sale right now.

Silverado sales averaged only 43K the last 3 months. Not good, especially if they already have big cash on the hood.

14K off a 2018 or a 2019 new body?

Well it seems like Mopar is getting all the good press now. Plus Sergio's replacement is talking about keeping truck production in Mexico (1500) to match their rising sales.

And as for pricing, looking at latest monthly truck rags I get, like diesel one ton, Rams are like 3-4 grand under comparable Ford

Oh-good sign-have morning news on covering Sox victory parade- Boston DPW 650 in background! Don't know how many they bought.

Here's a more practical review of 2019 Silverado from Bloomberg. It says that growth for all full size pickup truck models will come from attracting rich urban people who want a pickup truck for the image. Not trying to get existing pickup owners to switch brands. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-29/chevy-aims-the-new-2019-silverado-pickup-at-rich-city-wannabees

Here’s the dirty little secret about the Ford-versus-Chevy pickup truck slugfest: Both companies make great rigs. They are Motor City’s ultimate cash crop, and as such get all the greatest resources—the best designers, most talented engineers and biggest research and development budgets.

The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado is crammed full of mobile phone-sized trays and has a button to lower the tailgate from the driver’s seat. Which one is better? It’s tough to say and frankly, it doesn’t matter. At this point in the game, the prospect of any player increasing their slice of the pickup pie — “conquesting” in industry-speak — is slim. Moreover, it would be a flawed strategy, given that a huge swath of Americans is clamoring for a pickup (whether they actually need one or not).
The pie, in other words, is growing fast.

Here's a more practical review of 2019 Silverado from Bloomberg. It says that growth for all full size pickup truck models will come from attracting rich urban people who want a pickup truck for the image. Not trying to get existing pickup owners to switch brands. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-29/chevy-aims-the-new-2019-silverado-pickup-at-rich-city-wannabees

Puff piece - no mention of materials or design at all which is the big issue. And one glaring error:

To be sure, Ford has plenty of its own party tricks that one won’t find in a Chevy: a tiny, 4-cylinder engine (for which about one-third of buyers opt).

He must be talking about the 2.7L V6. And Chevy is the one with the 4 cylinder 2.7L.

How do you trust someone who makes those kinds of glaring mistakes?

• Like 1

I see 20% off ads all the time on all sorts of GM products, including the trucks.

Puff piece - no mention of materials or design at all which is the big issue. And one glaring error:

He must be talking about the 2.7L V6. And Chevy is the one with the 4 cylinder 2.7L.

How do you trust someone who makes those kinds of glaring mistakes?

Good catch sir regarding the error about 4-cylinder Ford F-150. Regarding materials or design of 2019 Silverado, they should be good enough. 2019 Ram 1500 is best in those areas, but as the Bloomberg writer said "the new Silverado doesn’t have to be the best pickup. It just has to be good enough to get its share of newbies".

Good catch sir regarding the error about 4-cylinder Ford F-150. Regarding materials or design of 2019 Silverado, they should be good enough. 2019 Ram 1500 is best in those areas, but as the Bloomberg writer said "the new Silverado doesnt have to be the best pickup. It just has to be good enough to get its share of newbies".

"Good enough", exactly what I want to see from a manufacturer..

Regarding materials or design of 2019 Silverado, they should be good enough.

You must have been on the GM design team.

Good enough to keep diehard fans? Yes. Good enough to keep or attract those that are on the fence? Maybe not. Sales have certainly dropped while Ram and F series have increased since 2015.