The Drive posts a scathing review of the 2019 Silverado

Anthony

I don't know what possessed GM to bring out a 2.7 I-4, were they trying to ace Ford?

To me, that engine typifies the arrogance and disconnect with expectations of buyers.

Ford sells the EB 2,7 V6 with ease, GM is not in the same ball park with their new I-4T

Which leaves us to wonder why, exactly, potential customers would view a Sierra as a "step up" from a Silverado.

More like a sideways step.

That said, if I had to choose between the Sierra and Silverado, I'd choose the Sierra anyday. They always look much better, IMO.

I don't know what possessed GM to bring out a 2.7 I-4, were they trying to ace Ford?

To me, that engine typifies the arrogance and disconnect with expectations of buyers.

Ford sells the EB 2,7 V6 with ease, GM is not in the same ball park with their new I-4T

I can only guess they expected much better fuel economy and it just didn’t work out that way.

I've come to accept that doing business with customers is very different than doing business with automotive journalists. GM may very well have labored every decision to best suit their customers and engineering priorities. I certainly agree that GM has done almost nothing to distinguish itself however, and for such an important profit generator, you would expect some innovation.

Edited by Assimilator

I can only guess they expected much better fuel economy and it just didnt work out that way.

^^^^^This

Why go thru all that effort to build a 4 banger that most Chevy guys are going to hate the very idea of just to post barely any improvement in the mileage numbers?

The question is how did they miss so badly from an engineering standpoint? Apparently it was compromised enough they couldn't fix it. Was anyone held accountable?

One bad review, yep all the GM guys will get F150s from this point forward..... Yes I know Ford Vs Chevy rivalry but in the end GM will satisfy plenty of customers. BTW why in the world Ford guys worry about GMC/Chevy twins?, GM and customers know it's the same truck and don't care what Ford guys think.

• Like 1

One bad review, yep all the GM guys will get F150s from this point forward..... Yes I know Ford Vs Chevy rivalry but in the end GM will satisfy plenty of customers. BTW why in the world Ford guys worry about GMC/Chevy twins?, GM and customers know it's the same truck and don't care what Ford guys think.

Wondered how long it would take the apologist to show up. There is no defense for this so just give it up.

As for GM customers knowing it’s the same truck, I bet the GMC owners won’t say that at all.

• Like 1

If there's any justice, Chevrolet will be forced to bring the Silverado in for an emergency nip-and-tuck, well before its official refresh date.

Wow, it's 2014 all over again. Does GM ever learn? Ford might not have it's act together with other segments, but they would NEVER let this happen with the F-series.

Wondered how long it would take the apologist to show up. There is no defense for this so just give it up.

As for GM customers knowing its the same truck, I bet the GMC owners wont say that at all.

Yep 1 million GM guys are listing to you..... Edited by Fgts

At one time the GMC had a longer warranty but I just looked and apparently now it's the same.

Just make Denali and Yukon Chevy trim levels with a unique grill and be done with it already.

I remember once back in the late 80's shopping for a replacement service van for dad's TV shop....it was all about price so I shopped 'em all...Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC...The guy at the GMC store tried to "sell" the van by claiming that while the GMC and Chevy vans looked the same, GMC used thicker metal in the body construction...when I showed him the weight of both the Chevy and GMC vans being damn near identical, he quickly shifted to "our vans are better than Ford"....yeah...ended up with an E150 cargo van.

• Like 1

I think GM painted themselves into a corner with their ads attacking Ford's truck bed.

They thus concentrated most of the upgrade $ on making a bed they deemed more functional, bigger, and of steel.

Now, if this was the 1950's, and people were buying trucks only to haul stuff around, this might have been a good selling point.

People today want a truck that is powerful, efficient, has lots of cool tech, and looks decent. The bed is just not that big of a selling point especially when bed liners are cheap and readily available in many forms.They needed new innovation elsewhere, or a homerun design.

• Like 4

Who's worried? I haven't seen anyone worried.

FCA brought their A-game to the pickup truck contest. Ram is a serious effort especially with the 48V hybrid, which even beat Ford to the punch.

GM definitely phone it in. The powertrain choices are lackluster... just "good enough" but not great. And it seems to be rather concerned about costs when the fullsize pickup truck market (as least the retail side) is going full tilt towards luxury and performance.