When an Ordered Vehicle Arrives at Dealer

1984Poke

Just out of curiosity, once a vehicle that was ordered by a customer rolls off the delivery truck at the dealership, what happens next? That is, what kinds of tasks/services would the dealer's staff perform after it arrives to get it ready for the customer?

I realize, of course, that someone will contact the customer to let him or her know the car has arrived and to make arrangements for pickup and finalize the paperwork and take care of the $$ issues--that part I've been through. At the moment, I'm curious to learn what steps/tasks the dealer staff does to or with the car itself prior to the customer taking delivery? And, typically how long does such a thing take?

Also, would the process be notably different if the vehicle was just going into dealer stock, as opposed to having been ordered by a customer?

The last time I special ordered a car (actually, the only time I had done so until this month), in spring 2013, my recollection is I was notified by the dealer in mid-morning that my car had arrived on one day and I made arrangements to go there and pick it up the afternoon of the following day. This time, I placed my order with a different Lincoln dealership in a different city, although I don't know if that would make any difference.

I'm curious to learn what tasks and steps take place at the dealer once the vehicle rolls off the truck to get it ready to hand over to the customer who ordered it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, akirby. Whats the deal with over-inflating the tires for shipping? What, exactly, is that supposed to do/what issue does that take care of?

It keeps them from flat spotting during the train ride. They just go up to 40-45 psi or so - nothing to worry about. But you should double check the pressures yourself - sometimes they forget.

Just out of curiosity, once a vehicle that was ordered by a customer rolls off the delivery truck at the dealership, what happens next? That is, what kinds of tasks/services would the dealer's staff perform after it arrives to get it ready for the customer?

I realize, of course, that someone will contact the customer to let him or her know the car has arrived and to make arrangements for pickup and finalize the paperwork and take care of the $$ issues--that part I've been through. At the moment, I'm curious to learn what steps/tasks the dealer staff does to or with the car itself prior to the customer taking delivery? And, typically how long does such a thing take?

Also, would the process be notably different if the vehicle was just going into dealer stock, as opposed to having been ordered by a customer?

The last time I special ordered a car (actually, the only time I had done so until this month), in spring 2013, my recollection is I was notified by the dealer in mid-morning that my car had arrived on one day and I made arrangements to go there and pick it up the afternoon of the following day. This time, I placed my order with a different Lincoln dealership in a different city, although I don't know if that would make any difference.

I'm curious to learn what tasks and steps take place at the dealer once the vehicle rolls off the truck to get it ready to hand over to the customer who ordered it. Thanks in advance.

Hi 1984. Just to add to what akirby stated: When the car arrives, the salesperson is supposed to go over the vehicle "with a fine tooth comb" and make sure it arrived as ordered and is perfect. Of course, this step depends on how vigilant and careful the salesperson is.

Then the vehicle is sent to the prep department (what I'm calling it), and in addition to the vehicle prep of washing/detailing, resetting tire pressures etc which akirby mentioned, the car is also prepped to remove all the plastic and cladding protecting the exterior of the vehicle, along with the plastic protecting the seats, carpet, trunk, remove the brake rotor shields, etc. The front license plate bracket is installed if your state requires one. They reset your NAV system out of display/demo mode to customer mode. I'm sure I missed a few things, but that gives you a general idea.

Of less importance to us but still important, the Dealership prepares the paperwork for the purchase. On this point...don't take anything for granted. Bring a calculator, read everything you are signing, double check the figures on the contracts to be sure they match your negotiated pricing (which you already should have triple checked at home) and then enjoy your new MKZ!

Theoretically and in practice, if not busy, a Dealership could prep a car they received in late morning and have it ready in a few hours and out by the end of the day if they really wanted to. However, no sense in rushing things, so let the Dealership take a full day to get the car properly prepped and ready for you sometime in the next day or two after arrival.

If a vehicle is going directly into dealer stock, most of that prepping is not performed until the vehicle is purchased.

Hope that information helps and hope your MKZ comes in soon.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks to all. One more question if you dont mind, please:

After taking possession of the car when it arrives, I will have about an 80 mile drive to get home, most of which will be on a turnpike with a 75 mph limit. Should I vary the speed? That is, should I avoid long periods of driving this new car at a steady, high speed? If so, for how many days or miles should I stay with that protocol?

I dont think Ive heard much about a break in period for new cars these days but I do know that used to be a thing. Advice?

Thanks to all. One more question if you dont mind, please:

After taking possession of the car when it arrives, I will have about an 80 mile drive to get home, most of which will be on a turnpike with a 75 mph limit. Should I vary the speed? That is, should I avoid long periods of driving this new car at a steady, high speed? If so, for how many days or miles should I stay with that protocol?

I dont think Ive heard much about a break in period for new cars these days but I do know that used to be a thing. Advice?

Hi 1984. To add to akirby's good advice once again...download the PDF version of your Owners Manual here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/owner-manuals/

You can find the Break-in information on page 259. You can also get a head start on learning all of the many features your new MKZ will have. Trust me, it will take some time to do so.

Keep us updated on your new MKZ's arrival and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

The last several Lincolns I have purchased have been special ordered. Just to piggyback on what others have said, my dealer details the car as though it was going in the showroom.....thorough clean, windows cleaned inside and out, tire shine, etc. I always let them know NOT to install the front license plate bracket but that needs to be done ahead of time if you don't plan to use a front plate. Before completing the paperwork, I go over the car with a fine tooth comb to make sure there are no paint flaws or body adjustments needed. Also, I always take a good test drive to make sure there are no issues prior to taking delivery. That includes making sure all of the features operate properly. If something needs to be done, I want it done before taking the car home.

• Like 1

Hi 1984. Just to add to what akirby stated: When the car arrives, the salesperson is supposed to go over the vehicle "with a fine tooth comb" and make sure it arrived as ordered and is perfect. Of course, this step depends on how vigilant and careful the salesperson is.

Then the vehicle is sent to the prep department (what I'm calling it), and in addition to the vehicle prep of washing/detailing, resetting tire pressures etc which akirby mentioned, the car is also prepped to remove all the plastic and cladding protecting the exterior of the vehicle, along with the plastic protecting the seats, carpet, trunk, remove the brake rotor shields, etc. The front license plate bracket is installed if your state requires one. They reset your NAV system out of display/demo mode to customer mode. I'm sure I missed a few things, but that gives you a general idea.

Of less importance to us but still important, the Dealership prepares the paperwork for the purchase. On this point...don't take anything for granted. Bring a calculator, read everything you are signing, double check the figures on the contracts to be sure they match your negotiated pricing (which you already should have triple checked at home) and then enjoy your new MKZ!

Theoretically and in practice, if not busy, a Dealership could prep a car they received in late morning and have it ready in a few hours and out by the end of the day if they really wanted to. However, no sense in rushing things, so let the Dealership take a full day to get the car properly prepped and ready for you sometime in the next day or two after arrival.

If a vehicle is going directly into dealer stock, most of that prepping is not performed until the vehicle is purchased.

Hope that information helps and hope your MKZ comes in soon.

Yes, the sales representative should go over the car when it arrives but very often they're either not around or aren't aware that their customer's vehicle is on the carrier. At many dealerships, someone from the Service Department is designated to inspect vehicles upon arrival. In our case, I do 75-80% of the inspections which works well since I'm the one that manages the order bank and orders all our inventory (Stock, Retail & Fleet). In cases when I'm either out of the office or not available I have a backup staff member that's been with us for 25+ years and is very good at inspections. As a final backup, someone in sales management will do the inspections if necessary.

Several years ago, Ford started requiring the transportation companies to go to an electronic Bill of Lading system where the signed BOL's are e-mailed to the dealership within a few minutes. The car carrier firms send us a pre-delivery notice advising us that vehicles have been dispatched, loaded onto carriers and in transit to the dealership. The notice lists the specific vehicles with their VIN numbers, etc. so that we know exactly which vehicles are being dispatched and in transit for delivery. I have the pre-delivery notices sent to a special e-mail address that forwards the notice to all sales management and several others so that they all know. When the vehicles arrive and are accepted, the BOL's are sent to the same e-mail address so that a number of staff members have access to them if necessary. The redundancy is part of our "checks and balances" system. Better to over communicate so that there's a lot less chance for anything to fall through the cracks, overlooked, etc.

Retail customers are not notified that their vehicle has arrived until after it has been inspected. Should there be any exceptions or damage it is noted on the Bill of Lading which expedites the claim processing, allowing the dealership to repair the damage and deliver the vehicle.

When certain retail or stock orders arrive (Shelby, Bullitt, Raptor, etc.) I pull the factory "Build Sheet" from the vehicle, so that it doesn't get thrown out during the detailing process, so that the customer can archive it for their records.

Hope this additional information helps!

This is superb information and very helpful. I had not thought of some of these things (request they not toss the factory Build Sheet, check the tire pressures, etc.) so my sincere thanks to all of you.

The vehicle I ordered (2019 MKZ-H Reserve II) isn't expected for many more weeks (more like a couple months) so I have time to read through the owners manual (as bbf suggested) and I think Ill start now on a checklist of things to do prior to and at pickup.

Again, my thanks to all.

Edited by 1984Poke

I have a Black Label Nautilus on order, but back when I was still cross-shopping I was looking at, among others, the Jaguar F-Pace (and at one point actually had an order in for its JLR cousin, the Range Rover Velar). Each are wonderful crossovers in their own way -- F-Pace is very sporty, Velar has more of a comfort ride along with serious off-road capabilities. But these cars have a well-earned reputation for excessive defects and poor reliability, especially with electronics and different elements of the infotainment system.

So on an F-Pace forum I ran across this. It is a standard letter that the forum suggests all buyers send to their dealers in advance of their factory-ordered F-Pace's arrival. Now *there's* a vehicle that has lots of issues (in the end it is why I canceled my Velar order).

https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-general-discussion-forum/27458-owner-pre-delivery-letter.html

Edited by Gurgeh

1984Poke, the funny thing is that when I was shopping for the Q5 I had narrowed my search down to either the MKC or Q5. I went with the Q5 because the small cooler (holding fruit, snacks, iced tea and such) my wife and I use when on road trips didn't fit on the floor of the back seat. Just not *quite* enough leg room in back, even though we wanted it for the cooler, not any (very) occasional back seat passengers! :)