2019 Escape changes

IronPyro52

I'm surprised this is news because it's in the 2019 Order Guide. They eliminated the LED taillights, what wasn't clear was how they were going to do that. So it looks like they just blanked out the LED portion of the fixture with reflectors and turned the amber indicator red. LED fixtures are not available at all, standard or optional.

They ran the Escape through a significant cost reduction program so you'll see quite a bit has been eliminated from the design such as LED taillights, paddle shifters, CD player, and many things you can't see. They cut material costs so you'll see things like cheaper carpets and floor mats, less two tone trim materials, etc. They've also reduced incentive spending, fleet sales, and more to get a grip on profits which accounts for its huge sales decline this year.

If you're in the market for an Escape, definitely get a 2018 and avoid the 2019 unless you get a killer deal.

Edited by Assimilator

I'm surprised this is news because it's in the 2019 Order Guide. They eliminated the LED taillights, what wasn't clear was how they were going to do that. So it looks like they just blanked out the LED portion of the fixture with reflectors and turned the amber indicator red. LED fixtures are not available at all, standard or optional.

They ran the Escape through a significant cost reduction program so you'll see quite a bit has been eliminated from the design such as LED taillights, paddle shifters, CD player, and many things you can't see. They cut material costs so you'll see things like cheaper carpets and floor mats, less two tone trim materials, etc.

IE the same bs they always do for the last model year. They definitely did it with the Focus and C-Max.

But I've seen some pictures that indicate that perhaps they did! What used to be Amber now looks red to me!

You are correct IronPyro52 sir, U.S. spec 2019 Escape taillamps are incandescent with red turn signal. Below are some other examples.

2d0defa9b5a347b0772e6617be1899db.jpg

bfdad7ab3509515ce8fbe45fd3982699.jpg

71b0771bfc46b782f54b4aff4f98cdd1.jpg

They eliminated the LED taillights, what wasn't clear was how they were going to do that. So it looks like they just blanked out the LED portion of the fixture with reflectors and turned the amber indicator red. LED fixtures are not available at all, standard or optional.

They ran the Escape through a significant cost reduction program so you'll see quite a bit has been eliminated from the design such as LED taillights, paddle shifters, CD player, and many things you can't see. They cut material costs so you'll see things like cheaper carpets and floor mats, less two tone trim materials, etc. They've also reduced incentive spending, fleet sales, and more to get a grip on profits which accounts for its huge sales decline this year.

If you're in the market for an Escape, definitely get a 2018 and avoid the 2019 unless you get a killer deal.

+1

Looks like Ford went on a major "decontenting" binge for Escape for 2019. Lots of deleted features. Also it looks like Co-Pilot 360 won't be offered on Escape until the next generation model comes out.

• Like 1

The 2020 Escape also has incandescent tail-light fixtures btw which bugged me because...at the time...Escape still had standard LED fixtures. That's what gave me the impression that they were going cheaper. I'm not sure if they are standard or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for the US Escape. The Kuga has much nicer LED fixtures. Ford wouldn't be alone in not offering LED fixtures as standard, but at least they are optional on other makes.

Edited by Assimilator

I'm pissed that on the Ford "build and price" site it does not show that the taillights have been changed in this way. It shows the LED style still. Rather misleading.

How does this change cut costs for Ford? Seems to me it would cost more to develop and manufacture a new component than to use one already in existence.

Edited by IronPyro52

How does this change cut costs for Ford? Seems to me it would cost more to develop and manufacture a new component than to use one already in existence.

I think the cost of LED components for brake and taillamps is still several times that of incandescent bulbs. Something like 5 to 10 times more for LED.

So even though there's cost to develop and manufacture a new taillamp cluster, that will be easily be covered by component cost savings times 2 taillamp clusters per Escape times 300,000 Escapes produced a year.

The 2020 Escape also has incandescent tail-light fixtures btw which bugged me because...at the time...Escape still had standard LED fixtures. That's what gave me the impression that they were going cheaper. I'm not sure if they are standard or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for the US Escape. The Kuga has much nicer LED fixtures. Ford wouldn't be alone in not offering LED fixtures as standard, but at least they are optional on other makes.

How do you know that the 2020MY Escape has incandescent tail light fixtures?

• 3 months later...