1.5 Million recall

Still don't understand that one. Either they had contracts to fulfill or capacity issues with the 6F35.

It may not have helped with sales (damage already done), but it would've at least helped with warranty costs down the road. I still don't think we've heard anything from Hackett regarding quality, have we?

I wonder if they're either hoping that C2 and CD6 fix a lot of those problems or (hopefully) they're putting all their efforts into those new platforms. If they're just ignoring it and hoping it will get better that's not going to turn out well.

Although we should point out that they're still average in that department and not nearly as bad as some other makes. It's still frustrating though and definitely hurting the bottom line.

My gas tank had to be replaced a couple years ago during some warranty work. I wonder if this is what happened (gas tank deformation)

A bit more info in this link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/25/ford-focus-recall-1-5-m-cars-fixed-avoid-potential-stalling/1759870002/

Ford warned that customers should keep their fuel tanks at least half full until their cars are fixed.

The issue stems from a defective canister purge valve that could become stuck in an open position, causing deformation of the fuel tank.

In certain instances, the defect could cause the Focus to stall and then not restart or have difficulty restarting. Car owners may notice an indicator light or a fuel gauge delivering inaccurate levels.

That's pretty much exactly what happened with my car.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

Meh, we frequently run our 2012 Focus with the fuel tank less than 1/2 full, and have never had a problem. After six+ years, why would I start worrying now?

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Defective parts can fail at any time, even years later. If Ford is concerned enough to issue a recall, isn't that reason enough?

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Defective parts can fail at any time, even years later. If Ford is concerned enough to issue a recall, isn't that reason enough?

Well, a meteor may enter the atmosphere, strike our home, and kill me in my sleep. Things can always happen.

I don't ever worry about potential car problems, especially a possible failure of a part that has performed perfectly for seven years.

Meh, we frequently run our 2012 Focus with the fuel tank less than 1/2 full, and have never had a problem. After six+ years, why would I start worrying now?

I was the same with my 2013 ST, and then 6 days ago out of nowhere it died on the freeway. Distance to empty still said 35 miles left. Luckily, I got over to the side of the road safely. After towing it to the dealer, it was diagnosed as out of gas.

Well, a meteor may enter the atmosphere, strike our home, and kill me in my sleep. Things can always happen.

I don't ever worry about potential car problems, especially a possible failure of a part that has performed perfectly for seven years.

....and this is why people don't get recalls done on their cars.

I certainly hope you dont have a car with Takata airbags in that case.

Edited by Anthony

Make you wonder ...

After installing a simple canister urge valve on millions and MILLIONS of vehicle over the past 30-40 years, you would think Ford could find a supplier that is capable of supplying a canister purge valve to will last for the "life" of the car.

A recall is required because this part could cause the vehicle to fail an emissions test.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

I don’t know if Ford is choosing bad suppliers or squeezing them so much they can’t produce quality parts consistently but it needs to be addressed.

Got to keep those profits up remember!

Greed will always bite you in the end.

Edited by coupe3w