For Ford, Fusion was the right car at the wrong time.

Unless the Escape is growing to Edge size, a third row would be useless.

It is a little bigger.

I thought RAV4 and/or CRV already offered a 3rd row. Its tiny but for some folks with small kids its a selling point.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

No disagreement with the Mustang, but some people need a vehicle more practical than that. Ford is hanging their hat on one vehicle.

No, they’re hanging their hat on F series, Mustang, Ranger, Bronco and a whole bunch of Crossovers and SUVs including hybrids.

• Like 3

Unless the Escape is growing to Edge size, a third row would be useless. A 1.5 engine will probably be the I-3. Hopefully Ford is developing a new, I-4 or significantly enhanced 2.0 as the top engine.

You realize Ford already offers 7 seats in Grand C-Max, which is actually slightly shorter than the current Escape? The 3rd row in Escape will not be a major selling point in the US but it is essential in China and Europe where Escape is one of the only few CUVs in this size that doesn't offer that option. Remember, it is replacing the Grand C-Max in Europe.

As for size, I don't know why people are having trouble with it. Ford already sells an utility in the size call C-Max but they missed the market trend pivoting towards tacked on fender arches and plastic cladding. Most of Ford's competitors pivoted (see Renault, Peugeot, and GM all redesigning their MPV as CUVs the last few years).

EcoSport --> Baby Bronco --> Escape/Kuga

Renegade --> Compass --> Cherokee

Kicks --> Rogue Sport/Qashqai --> Rogue/X-Trail

T-Cross --> T-Roc --> Tiguan

2008 --> 3008 --> 5008

Captur --> Kadjar --> Koleos

• Like 1

It is a little bigger.

I thought RAV4 and/or CRV already offered a 3rd row. Its tiny but for some folks with small kids its a selling point.

They don't offer them in the US but its available in other markets. Rogue, Tiguan, and Outlander offers the 7 seat option in the US.

Back to the Fusion for a minute, Im currently driving a 2016 Fusion with 50k on it for work, which aside from the transmission going south seems to be a nice car. I recently switched my Impala Classic for it, so I wasnt the original driver for this vehicle. It was clear that whoever had it beforehand did not take care of it, so I cannot say there werent contributing factors.

What ultimately sucked was the four months it took to get it fixed because of an initial shortage of parts, subsequent waiting in the repair line, and then a rework of the original repair. If I didnt have access to other work vehicles, and this was my private vehicle, that probably would have caused me to go shopping elsewhere for my next car. That was completely unacceptable service.

So back to the point I was trying to make concerning this sedan. What would have prevented the Fusion from soldiering on the current platform. Toyota seems to have done well with old platforms and new top hats. I find the driving dynamics of my Fusion to be pleasant. Much better than the Impala or the Altima or Optima rentals I recently drove. Change the sheet metal enough for people to think it is a new car, update the interior to the current standards, and throw in the latest powertrain and the public will see it as a new car, regardless of the chassis, and would sufficiently cover the sedan market. It doesnt seem like that should cost a ton of money to do.

So back to the point I was trying to make concerning this sedan. What would have prevented the Fusion from soldiering on the current platform. Toyota seems to have done well with old platforms and new top hats. I find the driving dynamics of my Fusion to be pleasant. Much better than the Impala or the Altima or Optima rentals I recently drove. Change the sheet metal enough for people to think it is a new car, update the interior to the current standards, and throw in the latest powertrain and the public will see it as a new car, regardless of the chassis, and would sufficiently cover the sedan market. It doesnt seem like that should cost a ton of money to do.

I agree with you, but I think the issue was where do they build it? They either build a new factory (which they were in the process of), or move the sedans to produce S/CUVs. Had Fields not cancelled the factory, I don't think we would be having this discussion as I think the Fusion would have kept going like you mentioned