Packaging Options for 2019 Lincolns

I have a question for those who are far better plugged-in to the auto industry than I am. Here is the scenario on which I'd appreciate input:

In the 2018 Lincoln MKZ build-and-price capability on Lincoln's web site, the LED headlights and the 20 speaker Revel sound system were packaged together, as I recall, but that package did not include the panoramic sliding glass roof, which was a stand-alone item on the 2018 'Z.

However, on the 2019 MKZ build-and-price (for the Reserve II, the only trim line I've really looked at), the 20 speaker Revel system and the LED headlights are packaged with (and ONLY with) the panoramic roof. You cannot get the 20-Revel and LED headlights on a '19 'Z without also getting the panoramic sliding glass roof.

My question for those who know the car industry well: Do you think it’s possible that Lincoln has a surfeit of panoramic sliding roofs lying around (already made) that were slow sellers, and Lincoln decided the only way to move them out the door was to require their inclusion in a package with other desirable features as way to get rid of them?

Several days ago, I did a search of MKZs in the inventories at dealerships in Oklahoma (Tulsa, OKC) and in the Dallas area, and I found three dozen (maybe more) unsold 2018 MKZs, a surprisingly large percentage of which had the Panoramic Vista sliding glass roof, which leads me to suspect that feature is a show-stopper for many potential buyers.

Would Lincoln be likely to have a bunch of those sliding roof assemblies already on-hand, thus creating an incentive for finding a way to get rid of them? Or would major sub-assemblies like that be manufactured only in response to actual demand? Thanks in advance for input.

Edited by 1984Poke

I have a question for those who are far better plugged-in to the auto industry than I am. Here is the scenario on which I'd appreciate input:

In the 2018 Lincoln MKZ build-and-price capability on Lincoln's web site, the LED headlights and the 20 speaker Revel sound system were packaged together, as I recall, but that package did not include the panoramic sliding glass roof, which was a stand-alone item on the 2018 'Z.

However, on the 2019 MKZ build-and-price (for the Reserve II, the only trim line I've really looked at), the 20 speaker Revel system and the LED headlights are packaged with (and ONLY with) the panoramic roof. You cannot get the 20-Revel and LED headlights on a '19 'Z without also getting the panoramic sliding glass roof.

My question for those who know the car industry well: Do you think it’s possible that Lincoln has a surfeit of panoramic sliding roofs laying around (already made) that were slow sellers, and Lincoln decided the only way to move them out the door was to require their inclusion in a package with other desirable features as way to get rid of them?

Several days ago, I did a search of MKZs in the inventories at dealerships in Oklahoma (Tulsa, OKC) and in the Dallas area, and I found three dozen (maybe more) unsold 2018 MKZs, a surprisingly large percentage of which had the Panoramic Vista sliding glass roof, which leads me to suspect that feature is a show-stopper for many potential buyers.

Would Lincoln be likely to have a bunch of those sliding roof assemblies already on-hand, thus creating an incentive for finding a way to get rid of them? Or would major sub-assemblies like that be manufactured only in response to actual demand? Thanks in advance for input.

Hi 1984. No, they did not package the moonroofs with other options because they have extras sitting around that they need to get rid of. That actually is not how modern auto production works. Manufacturers do not stock large amounts of parts inventory sitting around for future production purposes. They will keep a certain amount of parts around for Warranty and retail repair/replacement, but that is another story. Essentially, you were closer to the production reality when you stated, "Or would major sub-assemblies like that be manufactured only in response to actual demand?".

The current MKZ (and Fusion) are scheduled to stop production within the next couple of years. It was simply a marketing decision to package those options together for 2019. In fact, it is a return to how the options packages used to be sold until more recent years. For some years, packaging a moonroof together with other premium options was normal on the MKZ. In fact, it was that way when I ordered my 2007. You couldn't order the top line sound system (and possibly another option or two I can not recall) without a moonroof, which forced me to live without the top sound system and another option or two (I don't want moonroofs either).

We were actually lucky for a few years through the 2018 model year with the MKZ when Lincoln/Ford decided to make the two moonroofs stand alone options. Luckily it was that way when I ordered my 2018.

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, Lincoln/Ford have gone back to packaging some premium options with the moonroofs again. Personally, I think it was a bad decision. However, I also think dropping the MKZ and Fusion was a bad decision. But Lincoln/Ford did not check with me first.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Thank you, bbf, and I agree with you, fuzzy. I somewhat reluctantly accepted the moonroof on the Reserve II MKZ that I just ordered but the panoramic sliding roof is a different matter for me. If it were packaged with the Z, that would have been a show-stopper for me. I appreciate this insight from people who are better plugged-in to the auto industry than I am. Thanks.

I've run into a similar issue in my order for a Black Label Nautilus. Based on past experience with Washington DC potholes at night I don't like low profile tires. But if you want the upgraded audio (or want the Black Label trim) you are forced into 21" wheels. Last year with the MKX one was able to choose to "downgrade" your wheels (though you wouldn't get a discount for doing do) on a factory order. Not this year.

Luckily with wheels you can always do an afternarket swap.

I'm sure the dealer would do something to swap wheels if the deal was dependent on it. Personally I like the extra light a glass roof brings, and they seem to be more common these days. My wife's MKX has it and it's a great experience for the rear passengers, and if the sun gets too bright a push of a button fixes that.

• Like 1

I'm sure the dealer would do something to swap wheels if the deal was dependent on it. Personally I like the extra light a glass roof brings, and they seem to be more common these days. My wife's MKX has it and it's a great experience for the rear passengers, and if the sun gets too bright a push of a button fixes that.

Ditto. We open the roof a few times a year but we enjoy the view 365 days.

My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane Convertible and any time I get to drive a convertible the top goes down at every opportunity. However, I've never understood the fascination people have with moonroofs. Even so, I order a lot of moonroofs on vehicles I order for dealership stock inventory because it's what many customers want and expect. Even so, when I'm driving a vehicle with a moonroof, the shade is closed 99% of the time.

You are the opposite of me. When I had my Explorer, I NEVER closed the shade. I almost always had it open to vent too, especially in winter. It seemed to help air circulation without opening the back windows (which was a chore).

Man I miss it so much. Still mad the Ranger doesn't get one.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane Convertible and any time I get to drive a convertible the top goes down at every opportunity. However, I've never understood the fascination people have with moonroofs. Even so, I order a lot of moonroofs on vehicles I order for dealership stock inventory because it's what many customers want and expect. Even so, when I'm driving a vehicle with a moonroof, the shade is closed 99% of the time.

I always kept my moonroof shade closed as well on the cars Ive owned until I got the 18 Navigator, I actually like that is obnoxiously large, it makes the cabin feel larger and my kids like looking out. In my previous vehicles it was pretty much for the front occupants and rather small.

I always kept my moonroof shade closed as well on the cars Ive owned until I got the 18 Navigator, I actually like that is obnoxiously large, it makes the cabin feel larger and my kids like looking out. In my previous vehicles it was pretty much for the front occupants and rather small.

I've had sunroofs on all my vehicles for the last 20 years. They really brighten up and open up the interior and I like to open them when the weather permits (though my wife doesn't like it so much -- hair thing I guess). It is part for the ventilation, part for the feeling of connectedness with the outdoors (hard to explain). The sunroof that most annoyed me was the one I had on my VW CC, as it was a solid pane of glass and wouldn't open. I vowed never to go that route again.

You are the opposite of me. When I had my Explorer, I NEVER closed the shade. I almost always had it open to vent too, especially in winter. It seemed to help air circulation without opening the back windows (which was a chore).

Man I miss it so much. Still mad the Ranger doesn't get one.

Ranger doesn't have a sunroof?

• 1 year later...