Ken Block's Newest Drift Toy is a 1977 Ford F-150 With a 914-HP V6

IMSA-XJR9

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24174036/ken-block-hoonicorn-ford-f150-pickup/

ken-block-truck-1540398669.jpg?resize=98

Ken Block and the Hoonigan team have to up the ante with every new installment of their viral Gymkhana drift video series. For the soon-arriving Gymkhana 10, Block and crew built something completely absurd—a drift truck. More specifically, a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 914-hp twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. Meet the "Hoonitruck."

This F-150 isn't really an F-150. Like Block's crazy 1965 Mustang drift machine, the Hoonicorn, it's a custom tube-frame chassis with some old body panels on top. We, of course, don't mind because this thing looks rad.

Absolutely 100% insane! This relationship that Ford has with Ken Block is phenomenal. I see this as a fantastic way of connecting with the youth market and hopefully making young Ford guys and gals out of them.

I guess it won't matter that they can't actually afford anything that Ford will be building in the future....

BTW, my first new vehicle was a 1977 F-150 4x4 Flareside. MSRP was $5070.

Because most people can't afford new cars without taking out 72+ month loans.

I don't think that's true. I think most people want more car than they can afford on a loan less than 72 months. So, they take out a 72 month loan to pay for more car than they can afford.

Folks want all the goodies, then they complain about how expensive they are.

On the flip side, a 72 month loan isn't as painful because cars last so much longer today and you don't have to replace it before it's paid off.

Most people don't make a $100K a year self included. A new car is a very bad investment, probably the worst investment one can make.

I can't afford a new car (truck) now.

A car is NOT an investment (unless it's a Ford GT or something like that).

A car is a tool that you use to get to work, go to the store, etc. It's going to decrease in value, guaranteed. You determine how much you have to spend, when goodies you want on it, and buy what you can. Some people choose no-frills, others choose lots of goodies. It's up to the buyer to decide.

A car is NOT an investment (unless it's a Ford GT or something like that).

A car is a tool that you use to get to work, go to the store, etc. It's going to decrease in value, guaranteed. You determine how much you have to spend, when goodies you want on it, and buy what you can. Some people choose no-frills, others choose lots of goodies. It's up to the buyer to decide.

And because of the prices, we will see a change to autonomous cars, people will no longer "own" a car in the future.

And because of the prices, we will see a change to autonomous cars, people will no longer "own" a car in the future.

Are cars more expensive today than years past? Yes.

Accounting for inflation, cars equipped similarly to cars of 20 years ago, are not that much more expensive. If you want all the goodies (moon roof, leather, heated/cooled seats, lane keep assist, 7 cameras, adaptive cruise), sure, they are much more expensive, but that stuff wasn't around 20 years ago. Comparably equipped cars are not drastically more expensive than they were 20 years ago. Add in the longevity, and I would surmise they are cheaper per mile than 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Wow I was thinking NEW. Buying used does nothing for the bottom line of the manufacturers.

True, but you said:

There's really no reference to the bottom line of mfgrs.

Have you looked at how many NEW cars are being sold today? It’s around 17M/yr which is as high as it’s ever been. Higher prices have not stopped people from buying them. If it was a problem more people would be buying used cars and new car sales would drop significantly. More people may be leasing and taking longer term loans but they’re still buying new vehicles.