Amid unease, dealers get clearest look yet at Ford's restructuring plan

And when there's 35mpg utilities there will also be 55mpg small cars using the same tech, only smaller. '08-'10 could easily happen all over again. Should Ford plan on it? Probably not, but I hope they at least have a backup plan in their back pocket.

Except when people have the choice between a utility and a car they're choosing the utility more often even though the smaller car gets better mpg.

My local ford dealer has missed those as well..nutin but row after row of f150's and othr large land yachts....nobody cares about any hybrids right now....nobody....

If nobody cares about hybrids then Ford will sell them an ICE utility. If gas prices go up and people want 35 mpg utilities, Ford will have a bunch of them. It's just a different drivetrain in the same vehicle. Ford wins either way.

I'm also pretty sure that hybrids are a significant portion of Fusion and MKZ sales even today.

• Like 1

I think ice-capades mentioned that in his region, most 2019 Fusions for dealer stock will be the hybrid version.

For 2017 Ford sold 209,623 Fusions.

57,474 were Hybrids.

9,632 were plug in hybrids (Energis).

That's almost 1/3 of all sales. But yeah, nobody wants a hybrid.

• Like 1

And when there's 35mpg utilities there will also be 55mpg small cars using the same tech, only smaller. '08-'10 could easily happen all over again. Should Ford plan on it? Probably not, but I hope they at least have a backup plan in their back pocket.

All consumers want is enough fuel economy to take the cost of fueling their vehicle off the radar,

Ford Europe has just released new Fiesta and Focus so it's not like Ford cars are being axed completely.

For 2017 Ford sold 209,623 Fusions.

57,474 were Hybrids.

9,632 were plug in hybrids (Energis).

That's almost 1/3 of all sales. But yeah, nobody wants a hybrid.

Sales Year to date to September

Fusion Hybrid.......................44,677 (up 105% - 21,748 YTD '16)

Fusion Energi.........................7,285 (down 37.5% - 11,650 YTD '16)

Total Fusion sales..............124,964 (down 21.8% - 159,742 YTD '16)

Edited by jpd80

Sales Year to date to September

Fusion Hybrid.......................44,677 (up 105% - 21,748 YTD '16)

Fusion Energi.........................7,285 (down 37.5% - 11,650 YTD '16)

Total Fusion sales..............124,964 (down 21.8% - 159,742 YTD '16)

I've noticed of that most Fusion rentals are Hybrids. Fusion Energi is a deal if you live in CA right now and can get A/Z Plan, with rebates you're at about $23,500+Tax for a 2019 Energi Titanium. I'm sure the lease would be crazy cheap with the rebates on it.

• Like 1

Nothing is permanent...$5/gal gas can change mindset is a hurry.....if hackett truly believes the shift is permanent he is even more stoopeder than i initially thought...

If gas prices goes up significantly, people will buy more fuel efficient utilities. There is no evidence that they will move back to cars.

The rise in sales of tucks and utilities from 2015 onward clearly show a paradigm shift. It happened during a period with substantial increase in gas prices.The higher the gas price, the more trucks and utilities are sold. It's the reality, deal with it.

40061633570_e2fd3e6e4f_b.jpg

And here is the price of oil per barrel...

44758768865_125dc0e85f_b.jpg

<a href='https://www.macrotrends.net/2516/wti-crude-oil-prices-10-year-daily-chart'>WTICrude Oil Prices - 10 Year Daily Chart</a>

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

The funny thing is, to the extent that EVs finally break through in the next couple of years that will, due to supply and demand, probably have two affects: 1) lower oil prices as demand drops and 2) higher electricity costs as EVs add demand on our our electric grid.

I just don't see how the power grid can handle all of these electric cars. Hell, around here the power goes out for hours at a time for absolutely no reason at any time of the year.

A lot of the recharging occurs overnight outside peak demand hours. In that case no additional capacity would be needed. But daily charging will start to become an issue at some point.

I just don't see how the power grid can handle all of these electric cars. Hell, around here the power goes out for hours at a time for absolutely no reason at any time of the year.

A lot of nighttime charging, when homes and businesses arent using the same load. Houses and businesses with solar panels are becoming more common as well.

Power consumption has also been dropping per capita because of efficiency efforts, so there will be some offset.

Either way, it's going to take at least 10 years before we're looking at a significant percentage of homeowners with cars charging in their garage.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

Power consumption has also been dropping per capita because of efficiency efforts, so there will be some offset.

Either way, it's going to take at least 10 years before we're looking at a significant percentage of homeowners with cars charging in their garage.

And we really need to make sure Solar is being implemented. I wish rather than doing tariffs to protect the domestic solar industry, the administration did it through aid. I fear the increased cost is setting back solar power implementation and innovation. And I guess its a political third rail but shifting subsidies for corn/ethanol to Solar would be the logical way to fund the domestic solar industry.

A lot of the recharging occurs overnight outside peak demand hours. In that case no additional capacity would be needed. But daily charging will start to become an issue at some point.

Good point but..... As EV's become more popular, peak demand time will likely become night. Another factor contributing to this is increasing use of home solar panels. EV's are going to draw a lot more current than your washing machine and big screen TV........

And we really need to make sure Solar is being implemented. I wish rather than doing tariffs to protect the domestic solar industry, the administration did it through aid. I fear the increased cost is setting back solar power implementation and innovation. And I guess its a political third rail but shifting subsidies for corn/ethanol to Solar would be the logical way to fund the domestic solar industry.

Solar is great for those living in the sun-belt, less practical for those who live elsewhere. From what I've seen, the most logical place to put solar panels is on the roof of your house. Living in the Lake Michigan snowbelt, I've seen winters where our roof is snow-covered five months of the year.

What corn/ethanol subsidies are you referring to?