2019 Ranger first impressions

fuzzymoomoo

I went to the #ReadyforRanger event at the plant today. They had about 10 Rangers there of various configurations open and available for us to check out. I also did a ride along on their "off road" course they built in the parking lot. These are my thoughts

First, my thoughts on the ride along. This is an awesome little truck. The driver used the terrain management system to navigate the course so he didn't actually touch the gas or brake pedals. He only had to steer. I was very impressed at the off road chops this thing has. No wonder it has the reputation it does down under in Australia/New Zealand. The engine barely broke a sweat going up a 15(ish) foot hill at about a 45 degree angle, so any worries about whether or not the 2.3EB can handle off roading can end right now.

Now to the rest of the truck. I was impressed at the fit and finish of the interior. Of course being preproduction models there was a couple of minor things here and there that weren't quite lined up, which should be fixed before Job 1. That's why they build preproduction after all. The back seat is a little bigger than a mk3 Focus and I'm fairly certain I can fit 2 car seats back there, but for long road trips a full grown adult might not be so comfortable after a while.

I did have one problem with the interior though. There is a BIG jump from the XLT to the Lariat. The XLT interior is plastic everywhere, which is fine for the XL but I would expect a little more of an upgrade for the mid-level trim. I was a little disappointed by that, and definitely guaranteed I will get a Lariat for myself. It just felt too cheap for a trim level starting at $28k. The version with the bigger Sync 3 screen seemed a little better but it doesn't fix the door panels feeling really cheap.

If you pay enough attention you can tell that this truck was never intended to be sold here when it was first launched for 2011, but Ford NA has done a very good job (my interior complaints aside) of eliminating that feeling. They definitely put some thought into how to make it appeal to this market, unlike the EcoSport. That thing to me just screams it was never meant to be here, the Ranger doesn't at all to me. I don't see this version taking the sales crown over from the Tacoma but I can definitely see it being a solid second place. It looks and feels far superior to the Canyorado and the also-ran Nissan whatever the hell they call it. I will say this, I now have high hopes for the next generation Ranger coming in a few years. This is a very good start.

• Like 15

Thanks for the write-up!

I do find the interior of the Ranger to be old-school tight, but that's completely normal for the segment. Not a huge fan of mid-sizers with a frame unless it's a utility, but it obviously has a customer to service, I'm just glad Bronco is going to accompany it. The interior is attractively utilitarian without being cartoonish, I'm thankful for the smoother surfacing instead of the aggressively boxier details of the F-Series for example. It's a little more bland, kinda like the Edge, but I like it's tastefulness.

The parking brake handle in the center console is the first thing that tells you this wasn't developed recently for the US market.

I do hope the next-generation Ranger grows in size, the F-150 is too big, I'd argue this is too small...there has to be a just-right size somewhere. The new small-pickup will probably put some pressure on Ranger to grow...and I'm sure F-150 will grow again before the next Ranger.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Thanks for the write-up!

I do find the interior of the Ranger to be tight, but that's completely normal for the segment. Not a huge fan of mid sizers with a frame unless it's a utility, but it obviously has a customer to service. I would be much more interested in the Bronco, but Ranger is going to be cheaper.

The first thing that tells you the Ranger is from a different era/region is the parking brake handle in the center console.

Dimensionally it is a bit tight on paper but it didn't feel tight to me. I consider myself average height and build.

The parking brake location doesn't bother me so much, but then again for 85% of my driving life that's where it's been on my cars so that's just what it is to me.

• Like 1

I was in the new Ranger and I will say I do like the seating position and hip-point better than the GM Twins which feel like they are sitting on the floor, but the oddest thing to me about this truck segment in general is how close to the floor you sit because the floor is so high. It's only something you really notice when you're use to the huge F-150 or modern crossovers which have deeper floorpans and tall roofs. Ranger is certainly far less spacious to me than my MKX for example. But it's hard to get the ride height and visibility of Ranger in any other Ford vehicle that isn't much larger.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention the stereo system. I tried both the regular and B&O system. I know when the configurator went live I balked at the fact you can only get the B&O upgrade on the Lariat with the 501a package. Boy let me say it's worth every penny. Now I actually liked Ford's standard system for a while now. My 2008 Focus still sounds pretty good for what it is and I was beyond impressed with the standard system in both my 15 Focus and 18 Fusion. The B&O takes the old premium Sony system, does unspeakable things to unmentionable areas and casually tosses it to the closest dumpster. It's PHENOMENAL.

• Like 5

Having had my Lincoln in the dealership bodyshop that is overseen by their Toyota store, they gave me a 2018 Toyota Tacoma Limited double cab...I agree with Assimilator in that the seats are "on the floor" and I felt like my knees were up around my ears....very awkward driving dynamic and the only thing the loaner got me excited about was I would have a fresh comparison to Ranger when it finally hits the showroom....

• Like 1

Fuzzy is correct - no matter how good the Ranger is, and I don't doubt it is much better than Toyota, it will not take the sales crown from the Toyota Taliban,,,errrr Tacoma.

Not sure how that works, but the young folks just love that ugly excuse for a truck.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Fuzzy is correct - no matter how good the Ranger is, and I don't doubt it is much better than Toyota, it will not take the sales crown from the Toyota Taliban,,,errrr Tacoma.

Not sure how that works, but the young folks just love that ugly excuse for a truck.

Same way Accord and Camry are best sellers. Long history of repeat buyers who are brand loyal.

I don't expect Ranger to take a lot of Tacoma sales, but I do think Ranger could pass Tacoma eventually once they get it on the new platform with more models and drivetrains and IF they decide to go after the fleet market.

• Like 1

Same way Accord and Camry are best sellers. Long history of repeat buyers who are brand loyal.

I don't expect Ranger to take a lot of Tacoma sales, but I do think Ranger could pass Tacoma eventually once they get it on the new platform with more models and drivetrains and IF they decide to go after the fleet market.

I think the XL Super Cab can on its own serve fleet buyers very well, especially with a bed delete option being offered. What I didn't realize is there is a vinyl floor option. I missed that in the order guide.

You won't find a better fleet midsize truck than Ranger, Ford has a ton of configurations available to fleet customers. It should do very well there.

Unless Ranger is a sensation and they boost production, it will probably stick around 8-12K sustainable units a month with fairly large pent-up demand in the first year or two. Ranger is cheaper than Tacoma but much more expensive than the GM twins, so I estimate Ranger will land somewhere around 3rd place behind Tacoma and GM, but they could outsell the individual nameplates at GM.

Edited by Assimilator

You won't find a better fleet midsize truck than Ranger, Ford has a ton of configurations available to fleet customers. It should do very well there.

Unless Ranger is a sensation and they boost production, it will probably stick around 8-12K sustainable units a month with fairly large pent-up demand in the first year or two. Ranger is cheaper than Tacoma but much more expensive than the GM twins, so I estimate Ranger will land somewhere around 3rd place behind Tacoma and GM, but they could outsell the individual nameplates at GM.

I don't find the Ranger to be that much more expensive than the Colorado/Canyon, especially the Canyon which is pricier than the Colorado. You're always comparing apples and oranges when comparing prices because you can never get exactly the same packages/options. I have a Z71 Colorado now and the Lariat I just ordered is pricier, but it is also better equipped and has safety features the Colorado doesn't have. At any rate, I sure hope the Ranger sticks around as I had to leave Ford to get a pickup that fit my garage comfortably. Now I'm back.

Edited by hared
  • Like 2

It's a damn nice mid-size truck and should win over buyers on merit. Fact that it starts out as Ford Truck gives good initial credibility. Let's hope they don't have any glaring oversight defects and get these things on the lots quickly - and not just the high end ones, but the models the younger crowd can afford and customize to their taste with aftermarket stuff. The more that are out there, the more the must have generation will want to buy them. You know the drill, everyone wants one because everyone has one...I think that is how Toyota has become so popular.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

I'm surprised you would say that. I would hope just the opposite occurs and all of the Ranger owners who defected after 2011, will come back to Ford. On the basis of specs alone, does not the Ranger come out on top? Add the prior Ranger owners to the mix and I would be very surprised-or disappointed if the Ranger doesn't challenge Toyota very quickly.

Tacoma buyers don’t necessarily buy them on specs. They buy them because they’re Toyotas and they’re not going to switch brands.

I’m sure there will be some but I just don’t expect it to make a big dent in their sales. Canyorado certainly didn’t and one could argue the Canyorado is also superior to the Tacoma in many ways.

I'm surprised you would say that. I would hope just the opposite occurs and all of the Ranger owners who defected after 2011, will come back to Ford. On the basis of specs alone, does not the Ranger come out on top? Add the prior Ranger owners to the mix and I would be very surprised-or disappointed if the Ranger doesn't challenge Toyota very quickly.

I'll tell you why, and I highlighted it in my original post. The interior. Specifically the door panels. The IP and console don't look terrible on the XL/XLT, its actually about what I would expect except for the non-SYNC 3 version. That looks like an afterthought and doesn't belong in a truck starting at $28k. damn the door panels feel VERY cheap, almost like they will break on a cold day. Im actually surprised that BORG hasn't commented on that knowing how fussy he can be about stuff like that.

Tacoma buyers don’t necessarily buy them on specs. They buy them because they’re Toyotas and they’re not going to switch brands.

Certain versions of Toyota Tacoma have very impressive off road capabilities. Among the best of any 4x4 truck. And Toyota trucks' amazing durability and resale value is legendary. For a lot of customers, those things make up for the Tacoma's crudeness.

I don't know how all those Tacoma owners put up with that truck's uncomfortable driver's seat though. Still no height adjustment after all these years! That immediately took Tacoma off my truck shopping list. I'm getting a 2019 Ranger XLT with power driver's seat.

A huge thank you to fuzzymoomoo for this thread. :hat_tip:Very informative. I'm now more confident in my decision to pre-order a 2019 Ranger XLT 4x2. Autonation Ford Fort Worth processed the order last week.

I'm jealous that you have one of the Drive Tour events coming up in your area. I have family in the FW area, I'm almost considering a visit just to be able to get behind the wheel of one.

HRG

• Like 1