Ranger starts production

That's Wayne Assembly.... the event took place in the Wayne Assembly parking lot. Inconvenienced me all weekend for my shift.

It ended at 4 and by the time I got back for my shift at about 5:40 everything but that big hill was GONE!

I'm specifically talking about the photos from inside the plant.

2019-ford-ranger-1.jpg

2019-ford-ranger-1.jpg

Edited by Assimilator

Autoblog has some great photos and videos from the event.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/23/2019-ford-ranger-production-detroit-bronco/

I know it doesn't really matter, but you can tell they did very little to spruce up MAP...eeesh.

Give it time, the conveyors haven't been used much in the last 6 months. They'll be shiny again after a few weeks of use.

When I went into the plant yesterday the flat top conveyor was indeed no longer rusty and was spruced up with a coating on it.

• Like 1

Interesting. One of the common gripes I've heard, at least with respect to the 12th Gen F-150s, is the lack of wheel well liners, and at least one of those Rangers had them.

Wheel well liners are optional on the new F150s, but I don't see them mentioned at all as standard or optional in the order guide.

I think they are stretching the all-new frame description, it's heavily modified. The Bronco is actually based on the revised frame and will customize it further. I actually think the US Ranger and Global Ranger are going in separate development directions, unless they re-merge in 2023 with the new one.

I found out yesterday that Ford never had any interest in putting a V6 in Ranger or creating a Ranger Raptor for the US. They have very specific price and economy targets for Ranger to avoid F-Series overlap. That could change if customers start spending more. The more expensive Bronco is getting the 2.7L V6 which is something they can do with an all-new top-hat. The problem with Ranger right now is that they are not able to merge their platform modules with the next-gen Bronco and F-Series until a full redesign, but the Ranger did get the new frame. Ford doesn't have plans to electrify Ranger.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

I found out yesterday that Ford never had any interest in putting a V6 in Ranger

well yeah, because they can't. In order to make that happen the amount of modification needed means it's basically a completely new front end, which is something they couldn't do on the budget and time timeframe they were working with.

creating a Ranger Raptor for the US.

I still think this will happen eventually.

Ford doesn't have plans to electrify Ranger.

This is disappointing. Especially with a PHEV Bronco on the horizon.
  • Like 2

I found out yesterday that Ford never had any interest in putting a V6 in Ranger or creating a Ranger Raptor for the US. They have very specific price and economy targets for Ranger to avoid F-Series overlap. That could change if customers start spending more. The more expensive Bronco is getting the 2.7L V6 which is something they can do with an all-new top-hat.

Exactree. Which is why I lost interest months ago. That has been the history of the Ranger in the US since day one. I've owned several Rangers in the past but my needs changed. The F-150 was too big but the Sport Trac was just right and it did share at least some of its drivetrain with the F-150. Perfect.

All-new frame is interesting, it brings me to wonder if the "Made more like NA wants" Ranger coming in a few years might be re-using that frame (maybe adapted for things like Vs). Seems like a large investment for a short run if not.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that the new Ranger is riding on the T6 Gen 2 frame, and that development was shared with the Bronco. The frame can be V-engine capable, but if the rest of the front end isn't (as Fuzzy said), that would keep the Ranger from getting a V6.

It would also help explain the limited array of models on this first go-round. If it was bearing the cost of a new frame, that would chew up a lot of the budget.

The 2.7L V6 is also a monster engine for the Ranger, and it's expensive. We're talking a $45K+ Ranger to get to a 2.7L V6 which puts it in F-150 territory. You have to remember the competition is running crude gutless V6 engines at best to keep prices low, and to keep that displacement as a selling feature. They aren't selling expensive modern marvels like the 2.7L EcoBoost, and they certainly don't have F-Series alongside them. Ford is already kicking their butts with the 2.3L I4 and 10-Speed. I'm not sure Ranger can sell more than its cheaper discounted competition, but it certainly earned its price and it's a better vehicle regardless of sales.

And the 2.3L doesn't neccessarily prevent Ford from making a Raptor version either, they can certainly tune that engine up further.

I don't think it hurts to let Ranger establish a customer first before moving the truck further up market and align that strategy with the next-gen F-150.

Bronco does get the 2.7L HEV.

I believe Ranger is only going to run 1 production shift?

Edited by Assimilator

I believe Ranger is only going to run 1 production shift?

Yes, and it will stay 1 shift until the Bronco launches, whenever that ends up being, regardless of what the demand for the Ranger ends up being.

I can't wait to see the ways the company tries to play games with the union to try to circumvent the overtime rules in the contract.

Exactree. Which is why I lost interest months ago. That has been the history of the Ranger in the US since day one. I've owned several Rangers in the past but my needs changed. The F-150 was too big but the Sport Trac was just right and it did share at least some of its drivetrain with the F-150. Perfect.

But this Ranger in a crew cab configuration has everything your Sport Trac had and more including more power than that old V8. So what’s the problem?

• Like 1

Sure about that? The 2.3 in ranger configuration makes 275 hp. The 3v 4.6 in the old Sport Trac made 305 or 310 if memory serves....

292 HP and 300 ft/lbs.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2009-Ford-Explorer+Sport+Trac-XLT_4.6L__4dr_4x4/specs/

VS.

270 HP and 310 ft/lbs on the new 2.3EB

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

Fuel mileage is another story. 21mpg max on the Sportrac. 14/19 with 4x4 Sportrac. I'm sure the Ranger will beat that.

• Like 2

At a luncheon today, several people asked me about the new Ranger. One of my friends is a definite "will buy." Another is very interested. Neither of them currently owns a Ford product.

There is real interest in this new truck.

Edited by mackinaw

Meh. Close enough my point still stands. The big question is how much extra turbo and injector does the ranger come with? If there's some margin left in those pieces (like, for instance, if they're the same pieces used on the 350 hp version in the RS), a simple tune could unleash 50-100 extra horsepower. Ah! The beauty of forced induction!

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

It's basically the same engine as went into the Focus RS....I hope the turbo is the same bigger unit.:)

As 92merc pointed out, 292 hp and 300 lb ft - the 2.3 EB is slightly under on HP but up slightly on torque.

Having the 2.3 EB and 10-speed auto across the entire range will no doubt impress many potential buyers

Edited by jpd80

Im pretty interested in it too, the only thing holding me back is that the all new model is coming out in 2023. I wonder if the styling of that one would be an evolution like the new explorer or something different.

Also with the bronco, baby bronco, and escape all coming out soon, its kinda hard to commit to the ranger without at least seeing the others first.

• Like 1