Ranger starts production

Not entirely accurate. These are MP1 builds which are technically still preproduction builds. Most, of not all of these are executives personal vehicles and for testing.

Job 1 builds are for customer and retail orders.

I went to the #ReadyforRanger event at the plant today. I personally didn't get to actually drive one but they had quite a few of them there of a variety of trim and option levels for us to look at and check out and I did do a ride along on their "off road" track they had set up in the parking lot. I'll post my thoughts and first impressions later on in another thread.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 8

Ford also built 140 of them last month so pre-production builds seem to be going smoothly.

Very slowly. I overheard one of the paint supervisors today talking about an issue they ran into where the suicide doors kept opening up as they were being lowered into the dip tank and knocking the body off the carrier somehow.

Very slowly. I overheard one of the paint supervisors today talking about an issue they ran into where the suicide doors kept opening up as they were being lowered into the dip tank and knocking the body off the carrier somehow.

Interesting that the plant has niggles like that,

I wonder how Thailand, South Africa and South America avoid that happening

It probably did happen and they fixed it before production, just like they'll do here. I assume the equipment is different.

This s why it takes months to prove production ready, only slight changes here and there to make or break you.

better to have every problem that could happen exposed and fixed now than raise its head in production....

you'll see dip tank in this video, just imagine suicide doors on back of body.

Edited by jpd80

It probably did happen and they fixed it before production, just like they'll do here. I assume the equipment is different.

Correct. It's the same equipment as it was for the Focus for the most part, just modified for use for the Ranger.

I guess what caused it was the clip installed to hold the door closed somehow either was improperly installed or failed for some other reason.

• Like 1

Autoblog has some great photos and videos from the event.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/23/2019-ford-ranger-production-detroit-bronco/

I know it doesn't really matter, but you can tell they did very little to spruce up MAP...eeesh.

That's Wayne Assembly.... the event took place in the Wayne Assembly parking lot. Inconvenienced me all weekend for my shift.

It ended at 4 and by the time I got back for my shift at about 5:40 everything but that big hill was GONE!

Edited by fuzzymoomoo