2018 vs 2019 Pricing - Platinum Edition

Team230

I'm looking for some opinions (I came to the right place I bet) - It's October and 2019 are right around the corner. I'm looking for 4x4 Exp Platinum with HD Tow and Bucket seats. 2018 MSRP is $80k. Can you suggest the best price you have heard for a 2018 and a 2019?

I totally get the argument about a 2018 being 1 year older and having a lower Residual value when I go to sell in 2 years, hence my suggestion to dealers that their price needs to reflect this. I typically keep cars for 2 to 3 years, but I have no interest in leasing. I like the flexibility to do what I want when I want. This is a straight up buy situation and I will finance a minimum amount to get financing incentives too.

Frankly, I don't understand people paying X-Plan pricing. I can get this if I want it, but it just seems like a place to start the negations, meaning, everyone needs to do better than this (I know they can't within the X plan structure, but they cannot outside of it).

Also, I'm coming for a competitive product - I think Ford offers a $1k incentive on this too.

My goal - I'd like to get a 2019 for $73k or a 2018 for $70k. Can it be done?

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts and feedback.

X plan used to be $275 cheaper (below dealer invoice). The best part is the doc fees are limited to $100 and they can’t add anything you don’t want like paint sealer, etc. It’s a safe, good no haggle price.

If you’re willing to spend a lot of time negotiating or take something they want to get rid of or there are some dealer incentives that you don’t get with X plan then you can beat it by a few hundred bucks.

But if you pay $500 below X plan and then pay a $699 doc fee you just paid $100 more and probably didn’t even realize it.

I did an X-Plan search in your area. X-Plan on a (White Platinum paint) 2018 Platinum Max 4X4 with HD Towing and 2nd row buckets is $76,276 (and that's including the $3,250 rebate). That's on a vehicle with a MSRP of $83,185. Vehicle is at Beechmont Ford.

You might be able to do better, but with a trade, get ready to play some games.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've never bought a Ford. Do people really pay a Doc Fee? I've bought many, many cars and certainly I've heard about Doc fees but I've never paid one. Is that a common thing for Ford dealers to throw at you. Sounds like a bogus charge in the deal that they can easily wave if someone pushes back...which I would certainly do.

The Beechmont one must have the entertainment unit - $2k of silliness. Thanks for looking into that Bob! A 2019 equipped exactly like I want would be $77k on Xplan - $80k list. I'm not in a hurry. My reason to upgrade is I want the extended towing capacity but it's a for a boat which will be in storage until April...so time is on my side. I'll probably just wait them all out for a deal that I can live with.

Thanks!

All dealers charge doc fees ranging from $75 to $699 (in my experience). If you’ve only dealt with out the door pricing then they either waved it or included it in the final price already. Lots of folks who don’t know about it make their deal and don’t realize that’s just added profit that’s negotiable. That’s why you should always deal in “out the door” pricing or at least know what the fee is up front.

All dealers charge doc fees ranging from $75 to $699 (in my experience). If you’ve only dealt with out the door pricing then they either waved it or included it in the final price already. Lots of folks who don’t know about it make their deal and don’t realize that’s just added profit that’s negotiable. That’s why you should always deal in “out the door” pricing or at least know what the fee is up front.

The "Doc" fee isn't just added profit for the dealership. In many transactions, including those with trade-in vehicles, there's hours of time spent getting vehicle titles, checking customer tax compliance matters, paying drivers to handle out-of-state registrations, sending drivers to DMV for vehicle inspections, taking vehicles to DMV for special registration inspections, etc.

The "Doc" fee isn't just added profit for the dealership. In many transactions, including those with trade-in vehicles, there's hours of time spent getting vehicle titles, checking customer tax compliance matters, paying drivers to handle out-of-state registrations, sending drivers to DMV for vehicle inspections, taking vehicles to DMV for special registration inspections, etc.

I understand that and agree but $100 would more than cover that on average, which is why Ford limits it to $100. $700 is just a way to add an extra $600 profit to the deal with an unsuspecting buyer who doesn’t know better.