2020 Explorer/Aviator launch/job1?

5 minutes ago, MosheYehuda said:

The 3.0 AWD on the MKZ is Bad-ass with a better transmission  it will be even better

Not only that, in the MKZ it has to be torque limited in certain situations to prevent damage.  Explorer won't have that problem so it should feel even stronger.

Add a hefty electric motor with instant torque and that thing should be a beast!

Aviator and Explorer will get the 10 speed from the F150/Mustang and it's been great in my F150.  But there have been quite a few reports of problems.   Updated software seems to have helped a lot.

Interestingly there are at least 2 (if not 3) different 8 speed trannies for FWD applications.   One is from the GM joint venture but the other is a modified 6F which is in the new Edge ST and anything else that gets a transverse 2.7L or 3.0L (I presume).

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

Interestingly there are at least 2 (if not 3) different 8 speed trannies for FWD applications.   One is from the GM joint venture but the other is a modified 6F which is in the new Edge ST and anything else that gets a transverse 2.7L or 3.0L (I presume).

I have not heard this before.  Any information on why they went this route?  The new 8 spd just not stout enough?

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I have not heard this before.  Any information on why they went this route?  The new 8 spd just not stout enough?

That’s what I presume but Ford hasn’t said anything.  As far as I know Ford hasn’t even acknowledged that the updated 6F even exists - they’ve only mentioned the JV 8 speed which appears to only be used with the 2.0LEB.  I’ll see if I can find the article.

19 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Here's a source on what Akirby was talking about. Yes, at least in the Nautilus, two different 8 speeds. One, a version of the GM joint-venture 9-speed with a gear removed and the other a revised up-geared version of Ford's tried and true 6-speed one found in past Lincoln MKXs. I believe the former gets paired with the 2.0s and the latter (better able to handle the extra torque and power) with 2.7s.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180423/OEM01/180429934/ford-gm-9-speed-transmission?fbclid=IwAR0STZGsf9QRXlwQ1bINecgSbNo04bmJSoFltXY82J-RJeCwOAmnR2omWuU

Edited by Gurgeh