2020 Explorer/Aviator launch/job1?

16 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The PI and Regular Explorer will use just the 3.0L TT, no hybrid.  Export Explorers however will also get the PIug-in option. The new Explorer is going to be sold around the world again.

Does the US Explorer get the 3.3L PHEV or just 3.3L HEV?

Edited by fordmantpw

On 11/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, Assimilator said:

No PHEV Explorer in the US right now, Aviator will have that exclusive with the 3.0T PHEV, which is also VERY torquey.

The Cops and Normals get a 3.3L HEV with AWD available.

ST and Platinum get the 3.0L EB

The 2.3L EB is standard, 3.3L V6 is available as an upgrade.  

Any idea on what kind of premium the PHEV will carry over the regular 3.0?

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I'm guessing the 3.0T PHEV will be in an $70K+ version of Aviator.  I'm told Explorer will get the option internationally.  

As long as it’s reasonable I could see going with a BL PHEV, but it’d have to be on par to what BMW’s new X5 offers as far as range is concerned. Otherwise I’ll stick to the 3.0TT. 

20 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

As long as it’s reasonable I could see going with a BL PHEV, but it’d have to be on par to what BMW’s new X5 offers as far as range is concerned. Otherwise I’ll stick to the 3.0TT. 

The new X5 PHEV is 50 miles so that's what I would expect from the Aviator PHEV.

X5 eDrive has 2.0 turbo I4 so not exactly the same league as Aviator (or Explorer) PHEV. The only comparable car to Aviator PHEV on the market right now is Porsche Cayenne S E-hybrid, which has a 3.0 supercharge V6 paired with PHEV producing 410 hp.

Ford is probably going to position Aviator PHEV as a competitor to V8 powered rivals - i.e. X5 50i, GLE 550, Range Rover Sport 5.0

And the non-PHEV Aviator 3.0T will compete with X5 40i, GLE400, Range Rover Sport 3.0T

38 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I’m sure it will, But I’m assuming Ford will replace the old 3.5 EB with the new generation 3.5 as new models are brought out. 

I don't think there is anything left with the old 3.5 that will get the new one.  Actually, I think the only thing left with the old 3.5 that will live to see model year 2020 is the Explorer.  I guess it's possible the Raptor's version of the 3.5L may show up in the Explorer Sport/ST maybe?

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I don't think there is anything left with the old 3.5 that will get the new one.  Actually, I think the only thing left with the old 3.5 that will live to see model year 2020 is the Explorer.  I guess it's possible the Raptor's version of the 3.5L may show up in the Explorer Sport/ST maybe?

I thought it was leaked that the 3.5 in the Sport was getting replaced by the 3.0 in the ST

9 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

It appears Transit is still using the old 3.5LEB.  I assume it will get upgraded soon.