Ford Mustang Supercar could go V6

IMSA-XJR9

Ford GT Engine in Aussie Mustang Supercar?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-mustang-supercar-could-go-v6

At least five Mustangs will hit the track next March in Adelaide, and while they will all be initially powered by the same 5.0-litre V8 powerplant currently used in the soon-to-be superseded Falcon FG-X racer, Ford Australia marketing director Danni Winter has indicated that a swap to V6 turbo power for the Mustang isn’t off the table.

No, but they certainly are not V6's. They are progress in power.

Progress of old tech that any motor shop can also achieve. Same reason why NASCAR is withering...how many Toyotas or Fords are sold with a pushrod valve activated V8? Granted, they are awesome motors that shine and amaze, but seriously, the availability of vehicles with factory V8 power is down to a trickle...

• 8 months later...

I will leave the v6's to the fuel eco people, ill take my V8 all day long, because i can throw some boost on it when i get ancy, and nuke the turbo v6s even worse.  There is no replacement for displacement, or reliability.  Anyone heard of ecoboom?

31 minutes ago, MasterX said:

I will leave the v6's to the fuel eco people, ill take my V8 all day long, because i can throw some boost on it when i get ancy, and nuke the turbo v6s even worse.  There is no replacement for displacement, or reliability.  Anyone heard of ecoboom?

It would seem that MasterX is on a one day crusade to disparage Ecoboost engines....I have one and love it....and so witty with the "no replacement for displacement" quote...how long did it take for you to google that phrase?

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

It would seem that MasterX is on a one day crusade to disparage Ecoboost engines....I have one and love it....and so witty with the "no replacement for displacement" quote...how long did it take for you to google that phrase?

I grew up building push-rod engines with my dad back in the day, we put a 390 with a 4 barrel in his old f100 ranger as a project and then exploded the pumpkin case 2 weeks later doing stuff we shouldn't have been doing, but it was fun, and that instantaneous low end torque of a big v8 just cannot be replaced, even turbo builds with more power on paper don't feel the same due to spool time, turbo lag, etc...  A roots blower does come mighty close tho, and with one on a V8, that right there is heaven.  Makes me miss my old 04 cobra.   Bought it as a wreck, got it fixed up mechanically, and most of the body, but never painted before it got t-boned in a parking lot. 

Im on mustang number 3, and overall Ford number eight.
72 Ford F100 (shared it with dad) (Factory 302)
67 Ford F100 (shared it with dad after it was passed down from his dad) (390 build) (we still have this one)
78 Ford F250 (Extended Cab Ranch Truck for the livestock trailer)
95 Mercury Sable (Old beater i got as a first car to myself)
96 Mustang GT (99.9% stock)
04 Cobra Wreck (spent a year putting it back togeather, and 9 months on the road before someone going crossways in a parking lot totalled it.)
07 Mustang GT (Tons of mods)
05 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Edited by MasterX

heh, the expedition is actually in the shop right now getting a rebuilt trans with a shift kit, J-Mod i believe, but not very familiar with the 4R75W it has.  It has just crossed over 200k, in immaculate condition inside and out, hence why im willing to spring for a trans job and not just sell it due to mileage.  Still runs awesome due to care and 3k religious oil changes.

22 minutes ago, MasterX said:

I grew up building push-rod engines with my dad back in the day, we put a 390 with a 4 barrel in his old f100 ranger as a project and then exploded the pumpkin case 2 weeks later doing stuff we shouldn't have been doing, but it was fun, and that instantaneous low end torque of a big v8 just cannot be replaced, even turbo builds with more power on paper don't feel the same due to spool time, turbo lag, etc...  A roots blower does come mighty close tho, and with one on a V8, that right there is heaven.  Makes me miss my old 04 cobra.   Bought it as a wreck, got it fixed up mechanically, and most of the body, but never painted before it got t-boned in a parking lot.

...and this means what...been wrenching on cars since before I was able to drive thanks to a NASCAR champ that was around the corner...I remember in my teen years when I yanked out a 460/C6 combo from my dads rusted out LTD and dropped it into my Torino...gobs of torque and that thing would pass everything on the road except a gas station....has zero to do with the amazing engines with Ecoboost tech and I enjoy the 2.3L EB motor in my MKC. Todays tech is leaps and bounds ahead of yesteryear and I have had more Fords, Lincolns and Mercurys in my driveway than I can shake a stick at. Buy 'em, drive 'em, wreck 'em, sell 'em, trade 'em....

Not saying the ecoboosts arent good for something, especially peppy power in a small eco package, just saying when it comes time for big power, and big reliability without having to cram 20+ PSI, or the complexity of turbo setups, V8 wins.  I intend to get my hands on a 5.2 voodoo if i am able sometime in the next few years, we will see if that happens tho...  If nothing else,  coyote, eventually with a blower with boost at a mid range so it lasts forever.  Got my eye out for a 2014 Mustang GT, because the 2015 body style just does not speak to me in the slightest.

Edited by MasterX