Tearing down a Model 3: Profit potential huge, but 'this body is their single biggest problem'

While not Ford related, it shows how profitable an electric vehicle can be vs a gas powered one.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20181017/OEM05/181019639/

Maybe in the short term, long term you are still going to have a ton of players in the same market which will drive the cost lower and and eat into margins and you'll be back to the 6%-10% margins. For Tesla it will be how long will Wall Street keep writing checks for the company. I am seeing a bunch of Model 3's on the road which is good for cash flow, the question is going to be when the debt starts being due early next year and how/if they can over come it, or worse the stock hits $218 a share.

I've been hearing that Ford/Argo are in the early process of exploring designing their own chips to use in self driving as they are not happy with what is currently available and view this as a way to set themselves apart as well as save costs long term as they don't have to buy or worry about supply issues as they control the chain.

I think the real indicators is when the cult like status of the company wears off to the general public. They are all about selling an experience, but that blinds people to crappy quality and their products not aging well

The Model S I got a ride in squeaked more then my SHO ever did and I have a flaky brake caliper on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a couple of videos "starring" Sandy Monro. The first one was done almost 9 months ago. It was a pre-tear down video where he point out several glaring issues :

• The Master Disconnect is under the front hood. The front hood can not be opened if there is no 12V (separate battery) power.
  • The rear door can not be opened from the inside if there is no 12V power.

In a latter video, video he pointed out some major glaring mis-steps on the "body-in-white" design.

• The front inner fender is made up of 9 pieces that are welded together. Similar vehicles use 1 or 2 pieces.
  • The vehicle overall uses a large number of fasteners (screws, nut, bolt, etc). Not only that but they have multiple different kinds and sizes !

A major redesign of the body-in-white would result in a faster and cheaper to assemble body requiring less robots and less assemblers !

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1