FCA Issuing Massive Recall After Jeep Wrangler Frame Welds Fail In High Numbers

silvrsvt

https://www.hotcars.com/fca-recalling-jeep-wrangler-bad-welds/?view=list&utm_content=bufferd2533&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=HC-FB-P&utm_campaign=HC-FB-P

A buddy of mine has a 2006-08 Wrangler and was telling me his frame was rotting out around the rear axle-but there was an aftermarket part someone made that would replace it! Thats just crazy-my old man has a 20 year old Ranger that has over 120k on it without any major rust issues. I cant even think of the last time ford had an issue with their frames-this also bodes well for the Bronco if its done right.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine has a 2006-08 Wrangler and was telling me his frame was rotting out around the rear axle-but there was an aftermarket part someone made that would replace it! Thats just crazy-my old man has a 20 year old Ranger that has over 120k on it without any major rust issues. I cant even think of the last time ford had an issue with their frames-this also bodes well for the Bronco if its done right.

But is that a product flaw or has he been mudding and not cleaning it for 10 years?

• Like 1

FCA estimates that about 18,000 Wranglers are affected by the recall, and of those, 4% have faulty welds (or roughly 780 Jeeps). Fiat Chrysler will inspect each Jeep and repair the faulty welds at no cost to the consumer.

Pretty small, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of those owners. I saw the video in question a few weeks back and some of those welds were ugly.

But is that a product flaw or has he been mudding and not cleaning it for 10 years?

I dont think his Wrangler has been off road at all. The point is that there is an aftermarket company that makes a replacement part, which indicates to me that they can make money off it enough that a fairly substantial amount of those generation of Jeeps need it. If your product is showing 40% or worse failure rate for a major subassembly like a frame-you have some serious issues.

I dont think his Wrangler has been off road at all. The point is that there is an aftermarket company that makes a replacement part, which indicates to me that they can make money off it enough that a fairly substantial amount of those generation of Jeeps need it. If your product is showing 40% or worse failure rate for a major subassembly like a frame-you have some serious issues.

Agreed.

• Like 1

We'll all be interested to hear the full details on this and how FCA intends addressing this issue,

depends on cost but sometimes it may be cheaper to buy old vehicles back than to try fixing them

just like VW parking thousands of vehicles in the desert rather than repairing them...

https://www.hotcars.com/fca-recalling-jeep-wrangler-bad-welds/?view=list&utm_content=bufferd2533&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=HC-FB-P&utm_campaign=HC-FB-P

Rap-tor?

Bent frames?

It was kind of a big deal, even if the drivers were just being idiots.

Ranger bodies hold up quite well but the leaf spring shackle hangers rot out before anything else. I've fixed at least a half dozen trucks with this issue, including two of my own. For some reason nobody notices the sagging and awful ride until the leaf springs come up thru the bed floor. You know it's bad when every autozone in the rust belt keeps a couple sets of aftermarket shackles and hangers in stock. Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Ranger bodies hold up quite well but the leaf spring shackle hangers rot out before anything else. I've fixed at least a half dozen trucks with this issue, including two of my own. For some reason nobody notices the sagging and awful ride until the leaf springs come up thru the bed floor. You know it's bad when every autozone in the rust belt keeps a couple sets of aftermarket shackles and hangers in stock.

That happened on the Ranger we had growing up. It was a lease and it happened year 3....

Meh. Rangers are plenty durable. Ford definitely didn't cut any corners in that department. In fact a lot of the suspension bits and pieces are shared with F150s. Those very shackles are the same part as 2wd F150s take. For some reason they don't rot out as bad on 150s though. I think the ranger has some weird galvanic couple issue that makes those shackles an extreme anode. I've seen them half gone while the rest of the frame is still black.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv