2.7L oil pan leaks

theoldwizard

I don't recall seeing anything about this on Blue Oval Forums but it is pretty common on various othe F150 forums.

The 2.7L V6 has some very interesting/different manufacturing techniques. It uses CGI for the block, but it is very non-traditional looking

leavetheironon-inline2-photo-587199-s-or

I assume the caps are fractured off after the crank bore is machined and the cap bolt holes are drilled and tapped. The die cast aluminum lower block section is there primarily for mounting the front end accessory drive (FEAD) system and providing the rear face of the block (RFB) for the transmission to mount to, the motor point points and the oil filter,

The issue is the PLASTIC oil pan and RTV silicone gasket leak ! Some people have had 3, 4 or 5 replacement pans. TSB requires overnight curing of the RTV silicone before starting the engine. At least one person was told by a dealer to keep driving it until the parts arrived. Bad decision ! Low oil pressure within 1000 mile killed the engine.

Anyone heard of a real fix ? (One rumor is Ford is releasing a traditional steel or possibly aluminum pan.)

It wasnt just a BAD idea it was a TERRIBLE idea. I have had three pan leaks on my Raptor. The pans and RTV may have sounded good in theory but in the real world it has not been a reliable method.

My service manager has said they have resealed and replaced numerous pans and concurred it should be a metal pan with a gasket.

My truck is there now with that issue so I will be able to verify what method they have gone with.

It wasnt just a BAD idea it was a TERRIBLE idea. I have had three pan leaks on my Raptor. The pans and RTV may have sounded good in theory but in the real world it has not been a reliable method.

My service manager has said they have resealed and replaced numerous pans and concurred it should be a metal pan with a gasket.

My truck is there now with that issue so I will be able to verify what method they have gone with.

So they have the problem with the 3.5L too? Sheesh!

On the upside, free oil changes courtesy of the warranty! :hysterical:

So they have the problem with the 3.5L too? Sheesh!

On the upside, free oil changes courtesy of the warranty! :hysterical:

Yes, on the 3.5 too unfortunately. My service manager was not aware of a metal pan replacement part. It was still replace the plastic pan with a new one and the RTB.

The 10R80 also has a plastic pan.

The pans are replaced because they often break when removed and the WSM states to replace when removed. I've never had a comeback on any of the pans I've done. The factory sealant bead size is insufficient and the block has clearly not been prepped correctly. Sometimes the block face is not flat as well. Most of the "redo" pans I see that have been done before have had improper cleanup/drain time/cure time, no prep of the block with ZC-31, improper sealant type or OTHER leaks that look like the pan, but aren't. *cough*oil pressure sensor*cough*

Its not a TSB, its an SSM 47446. GSB G0000166 should also be referenced.

Edited by YT90SC
  • Like 1

... but aren't. *cough*oil pressure sensor*cough* ...

I was shocked to find out that for quite some time now most/ALL Ford vehicles with an analog oil pressure gauge are FAKE ! The "sensor" is just a normal/low pressure switch like used to illuminate a low oil pressure light. The needle moves because of electronics and software.

Wizard, they have been that way since they got rid of "idiot" lights. SOME of the newer ones have actual sensors because the PCM watches/controls oil pressure.

ALL the instruments are filtered by the sending module (PCM, TCM, etc) or the cluster. The gage itself moves very little unless it is at the end of the spec. i.e. "coolant temp". Ever notice it comes up to "normal" awful fast? Could be 140 degrees or 210, it wouldn't move much, if at all. As it approaches different stages of "hot" it moves rapidly up. There are several that don't even monitor actual coolant temp, but use the CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature) and guess-timate.

Fuel senders have been "anti slosh" since the 70's.

Ford figured out a long time ago that overly sweepy needles make more warranty claims.

Edited by YT90SC

• 4 months later...