Ford Did Think of an Edge RS

The SQ5 and Macan are the ones most often compared to the Edge ST. They are 5-6 inches shorter in length and 3 inches shorter in height and therefore lighter. They also cost $10K - $20K more than the Edge ST. There really isn’t any other competitor in the same price range and size.

Expecting the Edge ST to be just as “tossable” and fun to drive as a Fiest ST is to ignore the laws of physics and pricing.

Also, if the only thing that you can find that’s better is a luxury brand costing at least $20K more I think Ford did a good job.

Sorry if I hit a nerve and didn't follow the group think. Ford has demonstrated time and again that they are capable of more than what they've shown with the Edge ST. Perhaps the biggest issue is that Ford do not have a direct competitor for this product, and thus do not have any incentive to do better. Consider the Mustang: I don't think anyone would debate that the Mustang would not be at its current heights if not for the direct competition of the Camaro. The Camaro spanking the Mustang in performance metrics caused Team Mustang and SVT to dig deep for several years now. The performance pack 2 is the most recent example. Ford can do much more (and maybe will with CD6) and it's just a shame that they didn't with Edge ST.