Ford Did Think of an Edge RS

That was an answer to a hypothetical question. The only option for more power would be the 3.0LEB and I'm not sure the chassis could really handle that much power. I think they have to do torque management in the MKZ. And finding a manual FWD tranny that can handle that much power would be problematic. You're also looking at a new platform in 2-4 years. Not happening.

A super high performance Explorer would be much more likely.

That was an answer to a hypothetical question. The only option for more power would be the 3.0LEB and I'm not sure the chassis could really handle that much power. I think they have to do torque management in the MKZ. And finding a manual FWD tranny that can handle that much power would be problematic. You're also looking at a new platform in 2-4 years. Not happening.

A super high performance Explorer would be much more likely.

I'd love to see the raptor's 3.5 in the new Explorer.

• Like 1

I've read a few first drives. Not exactly disappointed but not overly excited. This is like a hair more effort than a Fusion Sport. In the US, the ST has had a bit more handling substance which I would of liked to have seen here. Not that anyone sane would take it to the track (although it would be funto watch). For a loaded one at 50K I wish they would have put the Focus RS AWD system in there, made handling one notch up, and a more relaxed traction control/stability system. Power is fine as that platform is about maxed out.

I've read a few first drives. Not exactly disappointed but not overly excited. This is like a hair more effort than a Fusion Sport. In the US, the ST has had a bit more handling substance which I would of liked to have seen here. Not that anyone sane would take it to the track (although it would be funto watch). For a loaded one at 50K I wish they would have put the Focus RS AWD system in there, made handling one notch up, and a more relaxed traction control/stability system. Power is fine as that platform is about maxed out.

The problem is they had to walk the fine line between replacing the sport, while having ST characteristics, and it seems they didn't fully get to ST in an effort to preserve the "livability" of Sport.

Personally, I think it'll do just fine, and it - like Sport - will be great for its customers - offering some fun while still being comfortable and practical.

I always saw RS as the serious sporting brand, ST is just interchangeable with "Sport".

Obviously an Edge RS would be pushing it, but I believe an Escape RS is very likely. The next Explorer also has tons of breathing room.

An Edge RS is pushing it, but an Explorer RS is fine? haha.

They should have just left it Sport. Do they think being an ST will increase sales?

No they couldn’t. ST means it was tuned by Ford Performance. Sport means it was tuned by the regular Edge team.

You can’t have FP tune it and then call it a Sport.

There is only so much you can do with a largish high center of gravity utility (as opposed to a Fiesta). You can’t change the laws of physics.

I'd love to see the raptor's 3.5 in the new Explorer.

I'd rather see the GT500's supercharged 5.2L V8 in an Explorer RS.

I always saw RS as the serious sporting brand, ST is just interchangeable with "Sport".

Obviously an Edge RS would be pushing it, but I believe an Escape RS is very likely. The next Explorer also has tons of breathing room.

An Escape RS would be great and pretty easy to do too. I'd rather have that than an Edge ST to replace my Fusion Sport.

• Like 1

I'd rather see the GT500's supercharged 5.2L V8 in an Explorer RS.

An Escape RS would be great and pretty easy to do too. I'd rather have that than an Edge ST to replace my Fusion Sport.

Escape ST (or RS) would be close to the Focus ST than Edge is just because it’s smaller.

• Like 1

An Edge RS is pushing it, but an Explorer RS is fine? haha.

The Explorer is a RWD performance SUV with Mustang engineering, there is TONS of possibility there. I'm not sure how much further they can push the 3.0L, but the PHEV in Aviator is going to be shocking.

Edited by Assimilator

Disagree. The Focus ST and Fiesta ST were more than just "sport" models of their respective lines. The RS version of those vehicles are more akin to the GT 350 version of the Mustang (vs. GT).

It's disappointing that Ford would water down the ST moniker if indeed the Edge ST is as uninspiring as the reviews portray it to be. As for the excuses about high ride and handling, other (admittedly high end) manufacturers don't have any problem creating performance CUV's - Porsche, MB, Audi. I was really hoping that Ford would expend some genuine effort and make something unique with this product, but it sounds like the effort was essentially phoned in (probably due to budget constraints, as I know the ST folks are very capable). Too bad.

Perhaps, as mentioned elsewhere, there will be proper development effort put into CD6 (maybe as an ancillary effort to the PI version) for a true performance version.

Edited by Harley Lover

Eh, there was far more engineering that went into the Focus ST than just changing a badge. The body itself was made much stiffer than the regular run of the mill Focus and that's before you get to suspension changes/upgrades.

I don't think Sport trims are more than just a little more power and some cool looking wheels and a badge.

Disagree. The Focus ST and Fiesta ST were more than just "sport" models of their respective lines. The RS version of those vehicles are more akin to the GT 350 version of the Mustang (vs. GT).

It's disappointing that Ford would water down the ST moniker if indeed the Edge ST is as uninspiring as the reviews portray it to be. As for the excuses about high ride and handling, other (admittedly high end) manufacturers don't have any problem creating performance CUV's - Porsche, MB, Audi. I was really hoping that Ford would expend some genuine effort and make something unique with this product, but it sounds like the effort was essentially phoned in (probably due to budget constraints, as I know the ST folks are very capable). Too bad.

Perhaps, as mentioned elsewhere, there will be proper development effort put into CD6 (maybe as an ancillary effort to the PI version) for a true performance version.

The SQ5 and Macan are the ones most often compared to the Edge ST. They are 5-6 inches shorter in length and 3 inches shorter in height and therefore lighter. They also cost $10K - $20K more than the Edge ST. There really isn’t any other competitor in the same price range and size.

Expecting the Edge ST to be just as “tossable” and fun to drive as a Fiest ST is to ignore the laws of physics and pricing.

Also, if the only thing that you can find that’s better is a luxury brand costing at least $20K more I think Ford did a good job.

Eh, there was far more engineering that went into the Focus ST than just changing a badge. The body itself was made much stiffer than the regular run of the mill Focus and that's before you get to suspension changes/upgrades.

I don't think Sport trims are more than just a little more power and some cool looking wheels and a badge.

Simple - Sport trims are tuned by the regular vehicle team. ST and RS are tuned by Ford Performance.

Not sure what reviews you read, but the vibe I was getting was it was generally a capable vehicle and even some of the people who had Focus STs liked it after driving it. IMO reviewers are dismissive of Ford because of their name and it lacking snob appeal of those luxury car makes.

As for comparing the Edge ST to luxury performance makes that most likely go for at least 10-20k more then an Edge, Id say they are doing a good job.

Not sure what reviews you read, but the vibe I was getting was it was generally a capable vehicle and even some of the people who had Focus STs liked it after driving it. IMO reviewers are dismissive of Ford because of their name and it lacking snob appeal of those luxury car makes.

As for comparing the Edge ST to luxury performance makes that most likely go for at least 10-20k more then an Edge, Id say they are doing a good job.

I would have to look and see which specific articles I read (probably 4-5 sources). The main gripe I would say, if you are going to add a brake package, coolers and such then why not go just a little more stiff on the suspension to combat the body roll (it is improved over regular model) and also relax the or make defeatable the TC/Stability system. It's not that it is bad but it's a step in the right direction from the regular model but still tuned for comfort.