2019 Edge OK to Buy

pstroke1

I don't know what's going on with the 2019MY Edge yet as I've had a 2019 Edge ST that was released, sent offsite and then returned to the plant. A few other Edge's have been produced but not yet released. Just because a Dealer's website shows inventory "in transit" doesn't mean that the inventory is actually moving as the "in transit" designation on Dealer websites hosted by Ford isn't always accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I plan to buy/order when the potential spring/summer discounts kick in. It's her primary vehicle and she needs to see it, feel it. touch it first. I have a couple of questions for those in the know. We currently have a 13 Edge Limited and really like the leather and the seat comfort. What exactly is the "Active X" material in the SEL and will those seats have the same comfort level as we're used to? I'm excited about the new transmission but generally tend to shy away from first year technology. Any concerns about the new 8 speed? I know it's similar to GM's 9 speed and they're having a few issues. What are the major differences and how did Ford make an 8 out of a 9 speed.

Thanks for the help.

How did they make a 8 spd from a 9 spd? They removed a gear. Seriously, thats it. There is always a possibility of some teething issues with a new transmission but I wouldnt expect any major issues.

Here is some info on the ActiveX seats. As far as the seats themselves, if youre ok in the 2018 seats you should be ok in the 2019 seats.

https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65256-activex/

Edited by akirby

My wife and I plan to buy/order when the potential spring/summer discounts kick in. It's her primary vehicle and she needs to see it, feel it. touch it first. I have a couple of questions for those in the know. We currently have a 13 Edge Limited and really like the leather and the seat comfort. What exactly is the "Active X" material in the SEL and will those seats have the same comfort level as we're used to? I'm excited about the new transmission but generally tend to shy away from first year technology. Any concerns about the new 8 speed? I know it's similar to GM's 9 speed and they're having a few issues. What are the major differences and how did Ford make an 8 out of a 9 speed.

Thanks for the help.

The ActiveX seating material is vinyl!

So they removed one of the lower gears? Seems like that would make a bit larger jump than the rest of the gears. I realize 8 will be smoother than 6 but seems like leaving all 9 in would have been better.

I remember vinyl seats. Not sure I want to go back. Guess we'll have to try them out.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

Here's an article from the spring going into detail on the new 8-speed transmissions.

Yes, that's transmissions with an "s". The one used for the 2.0 turbo in-line 4 base engine is a revised version of the 9-speed from a joint Ford-GM development project,. The second is a new Ford-designed 8-speed based on the old 6-speed (that also has its origins in a joint development project with GM). This one is used with the 2.7 twin turbo V6 (in the Edge ST and the available upgrade engine for the Lincoln Nautilus). Not positive why the different 8-speeds, but the article suggests that the latter better accommodates the greater torque and power from the 2.7.

Oh, and by the way, I did test drive the new 8-speed in a 2.7 Nautilus, and it is terrific.

From the article:

"Ford hasn't revealed fuel economy figures for the first vehicles with the new eight-speed gearboxes, but its engineers believe they can achieve everything GM is getting out of its nine-speed with one less gear. 'The small efficiency benefit did not justify the added weight and cost of an extra clutch and gear,' Ford spokesman Mike Levine said."

And:

"But the transmission switch also is about performance, at a time when Ford is creating a broad portfolio of sportier and high-horsepower vehicles. By adapting the six-speed from the 2002 GM alliance, Ford hopes to get more torque and power."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180423/OEM01/180429934/ford-gm-9-speed-transmission?fbclid=IwAR3zoCGMMRhtVXdl_fLcLvcUIxvuCvgNzc3fTtfAdmgNpVI1AQKfWCtkxzk

Edited by Gurgeh

I was really surprised that the new JV 8 speed was not built to handle the torque of the 2.7LEB. I thought they would be using just that one tranny. I guess it costs too much or there were technical issues.

Makes you wonder though if it was that easy to make a new 6F 8 speed from the old 6 speed why didn’t they just do that instead of the JV?

Very strange.

• Like 2