Ford announces layoffs

I'm already saving as much money as possible. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a strike.

I think there will be, I suspect a really shitty first offer from the Company. A week long strike then a much better offer and the strike will end, even though the agreed offer that ends the strike could have come first and everyone knows it they are playing the game. This way the Union saves face that it held out for their workers (You'll get extra lube in it) and the company saves face to Wall Street and Shareholders that it gave just enough to get workers back to work but still has cost savings. Plus if we are in a recession end of next year it could help thin out a bit of inventory.

I think there will be, I suspect a really shitty first offer from the Company. A week long strike then a much better offer and the strike will end, even though the agreed offer that ends the strike could have come first and everyone knows it they are playing the game. This way the Union saves face that it held out for their workers (You'll get extra lube in it) and the company saves face to Wall Street and Shareholders that it gave just enough to get workers back to work but still has cost savings. Plus if we are in a recession end of next year it could help thin out a bit of inventory.

And watch the union go negotiate with GM first. That would pretty much guarantee a strike at Ford.

Ford is doing something totally unorthodox, they’re asking their salaried employees how they feel their departments should be structured. From a Daniel Howes article in the Detroit News:

“Now he (Hackett) thinks he has a better idea for restructuring Ford's sprawling white-collar workforce: guided by a team from Boston Consulting, let managers and their employees decide how to "design" (one of Hackett's favorite words) the business in a way that reduces costs, focuses on the right work and builds value by fattening the bottom line.”

“The principles underpinning the Ford restructuring are straightforward, according to senior executives: flatten the organization by removing layers of management; give managers more authority to make decisions; demonstrate a bias for lean operations; decide what skills are needed now and for the future — and which aren’t.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2018/10/08/ford-restructuring-aims-break-top-down-tradition-detroit/1568971002/

3 teams

Truck guys build trucks and this includes moab and rubicon type stuff and not that bulshit fluffy f150 crap fir city idiots to haul beer in the back only..no carpet type stuff with drain holes in the floor

Race car guys gives us unbrideled horsepower from the gods..if god invented the hemi on day 8 these guys can let loose a real cobra jet for street consumption and not that limited edition crap

All female team gives us all that crossover active crap...

Fire uaw and hire canadians with beards

This should fix ford

3 teams

Truck guys build trucks and this includes moab and rubicon type stuff and not that bulshit fluffy f150 crap fir city idiots to haul beer in the back only..no carpet type stuff with drain holes in the floor

Race car guys gives us unbrideled horsepower from the gods..if god invented the hemi on day 8 these guys can let loose a real cobra jet for street consumption and not that limited edition crap

All female team gives us all that crossover active crap...

Fire uaw and hire canadians with beards

This should fix ford

LOL....but I like the way you think.

The automaker's deepest cuts are likely to come in Europe and South America, where chronic underperformance is forcing a reappraisal that includes deepening partnership talks with Volkswagen AG. The discussions, potentially a revived version of their aborted Autolatina SA venture in the late 1980s to mid '90s, are expected to focus on commercial vans and small cars

I hope someone digs up the history on Autolatina because,IMHO, Ford got SCREWED big time on that deal. BTDTGTT.

Ford is doing something totally unorthodox, they’re asking their salaried employees how they feel their departments should be structured. From a Daniel Howes article in the Detroit News:

“Now he (Hackett) thinks he has a better idea for restructuring Ford's sprawling white-collar workforce: guided by a team from Boston Consulting, let managers and their employees decide how to "design" (one of Hackett's favorite words) the business in a way that reduces costs,

One problem that For has, started to be addressed a year or so ago, but they do not have the talent to figure it out !

Ford finally woke up to the fact that SOFTWARE is a big part (and getting bigger) of their product and they have no standardized method of how it is done. Worse, lower and even middle level management look at the whole process as magic. A request goes into a black box and some how the change coems out the back end. Different organizations (Powertrain, EV, body, etc) do it differently. Outsourcing was a disaster (Sync 1 was primarily done by Microsoft and we know what that product turned out lik; EcoBoost 1 was primarily done by Bosch, but had huge cost over runs and EcoBoost 2 not only reduced engineering cost but product costs),

The whole IT organization is set up in a manner as to BLOCK new internal tools and NOT HELP engineering solve problems. They to had a major outsourcing disaster (They spent over $1B on a new purchasing system called Everest back in the 1990. When rolled out, it was discovered that much functionality was not included. Worse the cost estimate of Everest II were far more than the first version.)

The proposed new "centralized" product software development organization is turning into a huge "power grab/empire build" !

Edited by theoldwizard

Why do people still keep spouting that rumor.

Sync 1 was developed by B Square, a company founded by former Microsoft employees, and built on Microsoft hardware. It was NOT done by Microsoft. Sheesh folks!

You are thinking MFT.

SYNC 1 turned out awesome. MFT, not so much.

Why do people still keep spouting that rumor.

Sync 1 was developed by B Square, a company founded by former Microsoft employees, and built on Microsoft hardware. It was NOT done by Microsoft. Sheesh folks!

B Square was the major screw up behind Sync 2 (MyFordTouch), not sync 1. Or did they do both?

You are thinking MFT.

SYNC 1 turned out awesome. MFT, not so much.

B Square was the major screw up behind Sync 2 (MyFordTouch), not sync 1. Or did they do both?

You're both right. I read that Sync 1 was a disaster and I equated that with MFT. Sync 1 was great for what it was, and yes, that was done by MS. MFT was BSquare and was a huge mess. My bad.

• Like 1

You're both right. I read that Sync 1 was a disaster and I equated that with MFT. Sync 1 was great for what it was, and yes, that was done by MS. MFT was BSquare and was a huge mess. My bad.

About 95% of the time, Sync 1 is great. About 3% of the time, I want to put the programmers in a line with the jerk who put the fuse box behind the passenger-side kick panel and beat them all with a crowbar.

The other 2% is when they release a new version of the software that replaces the old boring bugs with exciting new bugs...

• Like 2

Microsoft approached Ford with these systems and Ford was eager to adopt it. The problem with Sync 2 was multi-fold but primarily because there was VERY poor oversight on Ford's part. They handed the keys over to outside contractors and took zero responsibility for managing the project. Microsoft did have to step in to rescue Sync 2 but it took years to get it functional. Windows CE was just a terrible platform to develop on and Ford's eagerness and earliness blinded them to that. Much of this is Mulally's doing, trying to transform the image of the company while ignoring analysis to speed things up.

I was an early adopter of My Lincoln Touch and I'll never forget what a complete farce it became. I had the opportunity to lemon-law my 2011 MKX because of it.

Edited by Assimilator