Silverado I4 only rated at 21 combined

silvrsvt

Silverado 2.7L I4 20/23 21 combined.

F150 2.7L V6 Turbo - 20/26 22 combined.

F150 3.3L - 20/25 22 combined.

F150 3.5L V6 Turbo with 470 lb/ft and 11K+ towing - 18/25 21 combined.

With the new turbo engines I'm not seeing any benefit to smaller engines.

Silverado 2.7L I4 20/23 21 combined.

F150 2.7L V6 Turbo - 20/26 22 combined.

F150 3.3L - 20/25 22 combined.

F150 3.5L V6 Turbo with 470 lb/ft and 11K+ towing - 18/25 21 combined.

With the new turbo engines I'm not seeing any benefit to smaller engines.

Horsepower isn't free, still gotta burn fuel.

True but keep your foot out of the accelerator and youll get the stares economy. You also have the power if you do need it on occasion. Just a smaller engine means you dont have the power, ever.

I got 26 mpg with my 2018 2.7 EB, CC, 4x4 on Sept 15 coming home from Minneapolis with the A/C on. 325HP/400TQ is all the power I need. More than my 5.4 had.

Most 2019 Silverado customers will get a V8 engine with their truck. Sounds like the 2.7L turbo 4-cylinder is more for CAFE compliance than anything else.

And they won't learn from the mistakes they made with the Camaro and CTS/ATS. They built way too many with the engines people weren't buying and kept building too many.

I Find the people that like their truck get exceptional gas mileage. People that dont really like the truck get terrible gas mileage. I dont trust peoples word of mouth on their gas mileage. Now for me my truck, which I really like, does not get great gas mileage. As a matter of fact I always find it to get lower than I expect on a trip. However I really enjoy the truck and Im OK with it.

I have 2 co-workers with GM trucks. Both with the 5.3 V8. They both frequently get 22-24mpg on the highway at 70mph with light winds. There is absolutely no reason I would go for a 2.7 V6 with the V8 returning those numbers.

And I work at a GM dealership and the 2 I've driven got high teens. One of my former co-workers drove a 2016 and said the mileage was worse than his 2013.

Your're taking a sample of 2 and saying 'they all get that". It's like the liars on pickuptruck.com who say their Rams get 25+ mpg at 80mph.

You have to read between the lines.

Wow. An all new engine of rather unprecedented configuration in a full size pickup and it gets all of.......20/23? That's hillariously awful! Especially considering the numbers Ford is getting with their sixes.

So let's see... these are going to be coarse and raspy (i.e. a normal 4 cylinder), have significantly less power than the V8 option, and only get 20/23 to boot? Well at least GM will have market evidence to cancel it in a few years and go back to all V8 because "that's what our buyers want"

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I think that's why Ford went V6 EB instead of the I-4 EB in F150...

that, in my opinion would be a mistake and one that GM just made.

With over third of F150 sales, the 2.7 V6 EB pleases many real world buyers,

the GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo won't ever be given that chance it's been limited to a novelty

so as to avoid hurting 4.3 V6 sales.

Edited by jpd80

With those ratings it's not helping CAFE much either.

Except it is doing an exceptional bad job at CAFE compliance.

Because GM's U.S. sales are based heavily on trucks and SUVs, the company has among the lowest overall fuel economy of any automaker. Only Ford and FCA are worse. However, GM is making some progress. Adjusted average mpg for GM increased from 22.2 in MY 2015 to 23.0 in MY 2017 (preliminary) according to EPA.

h5-table-2017.png

2.7L 4-cylinder turbo for Silverado should help GM keep improving. 21 mpg combined adjusted is pretty good for a gasoline powered full size pickup truck. The corresponding unadjusted combined mpg (what CAFE uses) should be around 26-28 mpg.

The light truck CAFE standard for vehicles with footprint 75 sq ft or bigger like Silverado is 25 mpg unadjusted combined from 2019-2021, 26 mpg in 2022, 27 mpg in 2023. 2.7L 4-cylinder Silverado 2WD will easily meet or exceed CAFE requirements for 2019-2022, and probably for 2023 too.

The big question is how popular will the 2.7L 4-cylinder turbo be with truck buyers? Full size pickup truck buyers love their V8s!

Edited by rperez817

Once again you missed the point in your never ending quest to defend GM.

They'd get a lot more bang for the buck updating or replacing the 5.3L V8.

No sir. You mentioned that new 2019 Silverado 2.7L 4-cylinder turbo "isn't helping CAFE much". 21 mpg adjusted, 26-28 mpg unadjusted fuel economy for this truck exceeds CAFE requirement for 2019 to 2022. This helps GM with CAFE compliance. As mentioned earlier, the big question is how many of these trucks will GM sell? I think GM will get enough customers to make an impact to its CAFE numbers. Even though V8 will be much more popular.

GM's 5.3L V8 added DFM technology for 2019. With this engine in 2WD 2019 Silverado, fuel economy is 19 mpg adjusted and 24.6 unadjusted. This falls just short of the 25 mpg unadjusted CAFE standard for 2019-2022.