Ford 2018-19 auto show debut speculations

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I have a feeling Bronco won't be shown until 2020....

I'm making the assuption that its going into production summer 2020-but as far as I know Ford is still saying its a 2020 model, which means it needs to be in production by then, because it will be techinally a 2021 by then. 

I also don't see a reason why should take longer then that and it could techinally be in production by end of 2019, but I don't see that really happening either. 

So basically we are going to have just the Escape, Explorer and Avatator coming out in 2019CY

I can see the Baby Bronco/Maverick getting shown off late next year-but Ford also has to find product for the Fiesta plant in Mexico and I think they are going to piss alot of people off if the baby bronco is in production before the "real" Bronco is. Unless the Mach1 is going there-which would make more sense when it comes to timing of products. 

Detroit is moving to the summer of 2020-which IMO be too late for Bronco.

One thought I did have and this would make more sense-is maybe Ford wants to do a full on assult on Jeep and both the Baby Bronco and Bronco will be shown of together as the rumored subbrand? That would make the most sense and doing it as a late 2019 unveiling would make the most sense-Maverick for sale Fall 2020 and Bronco Summer 2020.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm making the assuption that its going into production summer 2020-but as far as I know Ford is still saying its a 2020 model, which means it needs to be in production by then, because it will be techinally a 2021 by then. 

I also don't see a reason why should take longer then that and it could techinally be in production by end of 2019, but I don't see that really happening either. 

So basically we are going to have just the Escape, Explorer and Avatator coming out in 2019CY

I can see the Baby Bronco/Maverick getting shown off late next year-but Ford also has to find product for the Fiesta plant in Mexico and I think they are going to piss alot of people off if the baby bronco is in production before the "real" Bronco is. Unless the Mach1 is going there-which would make more sense when it comes to timing of products. 

Detroit is moving to the summer of 2020-which IMO be too late for Bronco.

One thought I did have and this would make more sense-is maybe Ford wants to do a full on assult on Jeep and both the Baby Bronco and Bronco will be shown of together as the rumored subbrand? That would make the most sense and doing it as a late 2019 unveiling would make the most sense-Maverick for sale Fall 2020 and Bronco Summer 2020.

Well, we've already seen baby Bronco (obivously hasn't debuted, just leaked pics), and still just silhouettes of Bronco.  Don't know if that means anything.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Well, we've already seen baby Bronco (obivously hasn't debuted, just leaked pics), and still just silhouettes of Bronco.  Don't know if that means anything.

Right, but since the it seems like the Public interest in the Bronco is more or less at a fever pitch, I think coming out with the baby Bronco first is going to cause a giant outcry and a PR disaster for Ford on the internet.

Just thinking about this-going with the simplistest path forward-the Fiesta stops production next Summer (I think it stops selling next May-so might be sooner then that), so to me that means that plant will be retooled next Summer/Fall-but with what is the question.

Add in the Mach 1 or whatever they going to call it-where is that going to be built? I know Hermosillo has been mentioned, but at the same time I think the Fusion will stick around till 2021CY or so-which would put it out to 3-4 years from now. 

So to me this would be path Forward-

MAP retools for the Bronco next Summer/fall for a Winter/Spring Launch in 2020. 

Baby Bronco goes into production late 2019 after the Fiesta plant is retooled-unless the Mach 1 is going there.

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Right, but since the it seems like the Public interest in the Bronco is more or less at a fever pitch, I think coming out with the baby Bronco first is going to cause a giant outcry and a PR disaster for Ford on the internet.

Just thinking about this-going with the simplistest path forward-the Fiesta stops production next Summer (I think it stops selling next May-so might be sooner then that), so to me that means that plant will be retooled next Summer/Fall-but with what is the question.

Add in the Mach 1 or whatever they going to call it-where is that going to be built? I know Hermosillo has been mentioned, but at the same time I think the Fusion will stick around till 2021CY or so-which would put it out to 3-4 years from now. 

So to me this would be path Forward-

MAP retools for the Bronco next Summer/fall for a Winter/Spring Launch in 2020. 

Baby Bronco goes into production late 2019 after the Fiesta plant is retooled-unless the Mach 1 is going there.

Oh i agree it wouldn't be a good look.

I'm torn between a side by side launch, and giving Bronco the spotlight itself first, with the baby later.

Is the design even finalized on the bronco? All we have seen is a pic of a vehicle with a sheet on it. It’s possible that there wasn’t even a real vehicle under that sheet. Although we also had a sheet pic of the maverick and then the actual pics leaked. Maybe that means that an actual bronco has been built and they are trying to keep it hidden for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Is the design even finalized on the bronco? All we have seen is a pic of a vehicle with a sheet on it. It’s possible that there wasn’t even a real vehicle under that sheet. Although we also had a sheet pic of the maverick and then the actual pics leaked. Maybe that means that an actual bronco has been built and they are trying to keep it hidden for as long as possible.

Nope, design isn't finalized however that silhouette they have been teasing is final. That's what they’re working within.

You really can see a lot of the Bronco in the Maverick. 

On 10/9/2018 at 3:34 PM, bzcat said:

Disclaimer: this topic is entirely speculation.

My guess:

1. Los Angeles - Nov 2018: Escape + Aviator

2. Detroit - Jan 2019: GT500 + Explorer

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019: MACH 1

3. Chicago - Feb 2019: Transit

4. Geneva - March 2019: n/a

5. New York - April 2019: Bronco + Autonomous fleet vehicle

6. Shanghai - April 2019: Corsair

7. Frankfurt - Sept 2019: Baby Bronco

8. State Fair of Texas - Sept 2019: F-150

10. Tokyo - Nov 2019: n/a

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019: F-150 hybrid

Weird... we can't edit old posts anymore?

I updated my guess:

1. Los Angeles - Nov 2018: Escape + Aviator [done]

2. Detroit - Jan 2019: GT500 + Explorer [confirmed]

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019: MACH E concept

3. Chicago - Feb 2019: Transit + Escape

4. Geneva - March 2019: n/a Focus ST

5. New York - April 2019: Bronco + Autonomous fleet vehicle

6. Shanghai - April 2019: Corsair

7. Frankfurt - Sept 2019: Baby Bronco

8. State Fair of Texas - Sept 2019: F-150

10. Tokyo - Nov 2019: n/a

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019: F-150 hybrid MACH E production

Edited by bzcat

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019: MACH E concept

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019: F-150 hybrid MACH E production

Why show off a concept then a production version of it roughly 10 months later?

Going with the timing of everything in Mexico, the Mach E might not be out til 2021 or so.

I'm assuming the Maverick goes into production where the Fiesta (End May of next year?) is made and the Mach E and small pickup/CUV (Ecosport replacement) go into production at the Fusion/MKZ plant.

I think we could see Escape and Explorer debut in January, but at separate events.  We could see Escape debut at CES, especially since it's Ford's only Plug-in EV and it might be the first vehicle to showcase Sync 4.  Corsair seems late for New York but Detroit isn't out of the question if they can get Escape out at CES.  We know Explorer and GT500 are coming to Detroit, Explorer might get a special preview a week early while I'm sure they'll roll out the GT500 on press day for the shock and awe.  

Chicago is not a big press event anymore, you probably won't see debuts there unless they are showcasing a new trim level or minor facelift.

Just to illustrate, this is list of the debuts from Chicago 2018.

https://www.caranddriver.com/auto-shows/2018-chicago-auto-show

Edited by Assimilator

I really think Ford would like to have Escape, Explorer, and GT500 on stage at its biggest press event of the year.  That will showcase everything they are doing in 2019 very nicely and they badly need to make some sort of splash.  

There is also the 2020 SuperDuty and Transit to deal with sometime this year. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Why show off a concept then a production version of it roughly 10 months later?

Going with the timing of everything in Mexico, the Mach E might not be out til 2021 or so.

I'm assuming the Maverick goes into production where the Fiesta (End May of next year?) is made and the Mach E and small pickup/CUV (Ecosport replacement) go into production at the Fusion/MKZ plant.

*Aviator drives up and plays its fancy orchestra notes and says hi*

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Huh?

The reason why the Aviator was shown off first was because:

Give a Lincoln product first look-to help shed the tarted up Ford image

Why the new Explorer, outside of PIU version,  hasn't been mentioned that much in the media by Ford, outside of it being important to their future. 

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why the new Explorer, outside of PIU version,  hasn't been mentioned that much in the media by Ford, outside of it being important to their future. 

What's that have to do with them showing a "concept" "preview" and 10 months later showing the production model?

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

What's that have to do with them showing a "concept" "preview" and 10 months later showing the production model?

To be clear - I agree completely they purposely showed Aviator first to help with that tarted up Ford image, I just don't see the correlation between that comment and the original question as to why would they show a concept/show production 10 months later.

I mean, heck....that's how most "concepts" are done these days anyway.

Acura was a far worse offender last year - they showed an Acura RDX "Prototype" at NAIAS, only to 3 months later show the production model at the New York show.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:19 PM, silvrsvt said:

Along these lines, I wonder if we'll see a preview of the Corsair before the new Escape?