RANGER 270HP/ 310 TQ

Just in comparison, F150 rear leg room:

Super Cab................33.5"

Crew Cab.................43.6"

So the Ranger Crew Cab's 35.5 is not too bad, I've sat in the back

of a T6 Crew cab and I'm over 6 foot, a bt squishy but knees splayed.

Edited by jpd80

270 eh? Apparently they had to derate it pretty significantly for truck duty cycle. I bet this thing has a gigantic intercooler in an effort to keep the aluminum in the combustion chambers in the solid phase while dragging that 7500 lbs up a mountain. Even then, those hp/turque numbers look like they still had to reduce boost a quite a bit relative to mustang and Focus RS.

^nothing above should be taken as intended to be derogatory towards Ford's choice of powertrain for the Ranger. The above is simply an engineering observation by a guy who's built a few turbo cars. I actually think these figures will compete very well against the naturally aspirated 3.5/3.6 in the toy/chevy competition.

They derate the 5.0 from the Mustang to the F150. Nothing new there. Makes sense when you figure the Mustang may be @ WOT for a few seconds at most. When I've got our camper hitched up to our F150 WOT or near WOT can be a minute or more especially when going up mountains.

It should fare about the same as a 3.5eb does in an f150. The ECU is sophisticated enough to keep the engine from melting itself under sustained boost. But there's still a reason F250 doesn't have an available ecoboost. This is the Ranger though, so my bet is the 2.3 works out great.

My guess would be to protect the Diesels. I currently have an Ecoboost 3.5 F150. LOVE, LOVE the engine. Power, cheap fuel (around here Diesel is about the same as Premium) and less maintenance.

Out next truck will be an F350 as we want a larger 5th wheel. If they offered an Ecoboost I'd be all over it. But sadly, we will have to go Diesel.

So they announce the HP/Torque on the same day the embargo is up on the 2019 Edge. This company has no F****** Clue on how to do PR.

I agree, this is the same company that stated they were abandoning sedans...suddenly values dropped like a rock...

• Like 1

My parents said we were poor so 4 door vehicles were for rich people, forget the fact they had new MBenz coupe AND convertible and F250, all 2 doors. Imagine when the swoopy Taurus came out, I was salivating, BUT nope I had parents that lied to me and said we were poor and could only have one kid (me)...so imagine when the Caravan came out...my parents would add "Do you see a car like ours anywhere around us" (Which was true), so the answer was "Thats because we have poor vehicles that only have 2 doors"... I like to remind my parents now that I can choose their nursing home, and it's Shady Pines for them...

• Like 1

My guess would be to protect the Diesels. I currently have an Ecoboost 3.5 F150. LOVE, LOVE the engine. Power, cheap fuel (around here Diesel is about the same as Premium) and less maintenance.

The EB35 is a good mill, but it's not a stitch on the Scorpion. It's all about the duty cycle of the heavy duty pickups; the EB just isn't built for it. If it were, they would've already put it in the F250/F350.

The EB35 is a good mill, but it's not a stitch on the Scorpion. It's all about the duty cycle of the heavy duty pickups; the EB just isn't built for it. If it were, they would've already put it in the F250/F350.

I don't disagree but I doubt there is a reason Ford couldn't tune it for that duty. Or have, say an Ecoboost 4.0 for the SD's. They do an Ecoboost 3.5 in most Transit configurations so there is something Ford likes about it for the heavier applications.

I'm not knocking the Scorpion but Diesels today are nowhere near as great as they were. Sure they have great power but you have DEF and the Emissions stuff, the CRD fuel pump that likes to grenade, etc. For the $10k+ that you are on the hook for if the fuel pump goes in a 6.7 you could replace 2 Ecoboost 3.5 engines!

It's not derated, it's just tuned differently to give it a torque profile better suited to truck duty.

It is derated a bit:

2019 Mustang GT -
460 hp @ 7,000 rpm
420 lb.-ft. @ 4,600 rpm
2019 F150:
395 hp @ 5,750 rpm
400 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm
It doesn't rev like the Mustang which is expected (and probably accounts for the lower hp) but torque is down at 100 RPM less. IIRC they both use different intakes as well.
  • Like 1

It doesn't rev like the Mustang which is expected (and probably accounts for the lower hp) but torque is down at 100 RPM less. IIRC they both use different intakes as well.

Yes, they have different intakes. That's part of tuning it for truck duty. Basically, they traded the top end for more torque lower in the revs, which is where trucks make their living.

• Like 3

You're both right.

The engines are different in tune compression and manifolds maybe even cylinder heads

to produce power and torque where its needed in F150 and Mustang...

Mustang 5.0 also needs 93 to make all of its power

The F150 5.0 in a cheapy Mustang would still be a nice ride......

Edited by jpd80

Hell my brother and I rode in the bed (with camper shell) of my parents 82 F-150 single cab on 700 mile trips. My dad found some old van seats and mounted them to ply wood, placed them at the front of the bed. Imagine doing that today.

Boy times have changed lol!

You're both right.

The engines are different in tune compression and manifolds maybe even cylinder heads

to produce power and torque where its needed in F150 and Mustang...

I'm also given to understand that the Mustang has different cams.

Still, I don't consider it "derated." It doesn't produce the same peak output, but it produces more torque where it's needed, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that it has more area under the curve as well.

I'm also given to understand that the Mustang has different cams.

Still, I don't consider it "derated." It doesn't produce the same peak output, but it produces more torque where it's needed, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that it has more area under the curve as well.

Derating implies one version was designed first and then changed to produce a lower output.

More likely, they were developed together at the same time to suit respective applications

With diesels, I know that derating is normally the identical engine but with a lower power setting,

the differences in the Mustang and F150 Coyotes are more than just a different power rating.

Edited by jpd80

How Ford Modified the Focus RS's Engine for Ranger Duty

One take away.

The direct injection pump is mounted in the same position on the left rear side of the head but the vacuum pump beside it on the Focus is gone. This pump is used to provide a vacuum backup for the brake booster on the other models and the unit may now be gone or relocated on the Ranger.

Ford has been trying to come up with a way to eliminate the auxiliary vacuum pump since the first EcoBoost engine came out.

It worked for me, too. I think it was posted here some time ago, in the discussion about Focus RS engine problems--the first post is about Livernois's bracing system for the cylinders.

That's correct. I think the Livernois' cylinder brace, which essentially converts the 2.3EB block from an open deck to a closed deck design, is intended for more continuous high rpm racing applications than anyone should hopefully experience in a life-style truck like the Ranger. The worst case scenario would probably be towing the max rated load in hilly terrain. If you expect to be doing that sort of stuff you probably shouldn't be buying a Ranger to begin with.

• Like 2