RANGER 270HP/ 310 TQ

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/05/2019-ford-ranger-horsepower-torque-payload-towing/

Ford also announced payload and towing capacities for the new Ranger. The little truck has a maximum payload capacity of 1,860 pounds. Most trucks in this segment have maximum capacities around 1,500 pounds, with the Colorado taking the crown for best-of-the-rest at 1,574 pounds. The Ranger also boasts a maximum towing capacity of 7,500 pounds with the towing package and trailer brake controller. The gasoline powered Colorado comes up just shy with a towing rating of 7,000 pounds, but the diesel version can tow 7,700 pounds. Tacoma and Frontier both have maximum towing ratings of about 6,700 pounds.

270 eh? Apparently they had to derate it pretty significantly for truck duty cycle. I bet this thing has a gigantic intercooler in an effort to keep the aluminum in the combustion chambers in the solid phase while dragging that 7500 lbs up a mountain. Even then, those hp/turque numbers look like they still had to reduce boost a quite a bit relative to mustang and Focus RS.

^nothing above should be taken as intended to be derogatory towards Ford's choice of powertrain for the Ranger. The above is simply an engineering observation by a guy who's built a few turbo cars. I actually think these figures will compete very well against the naturally aspirated 3.5/3.6 in the toy/chevy competition.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

270 eh? Apparently they had to derate it pretty significantly for truck duty cycle. I bet this thing has a gigantic intercooler in an effort to keep the aluminum in the combustion chambers in the solid phase while dragging that 7500 lbs up a mountain. Even then, those hp/turque numbers look like they still had to reduce boost a quite a bit relative to mustang and Focus RS.

^nothing above should be taken as intended to be derogatory towards Ford's choice of powertrain for the Ranger. The above is simply an engineering observation by a guy who's built a few turbo cars. I actually think these figures will compete very well against the naturally aspirated 3.5/3.6 in the toy/chevy competition.

Detuning an engine for truck duty isn't uncommon at all. Ford does the same thing with the Coyote, and Mopar does the same thing with the Hemi engines.

I, too, am curious as to how the engine will fare in a truck.

With my MKC in the body shop due to an errant Subaru, I have a Toyota Tacoma (2018, double cab, limited trim) for a loaner....I am completely underwhelmed with the truck and it is just plain uncomfortable. The bright spot is, it'll give me context when I test out a Ranger....sooooooo looking forward to it.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that the 270 Hp / 310 lb fy figures quoted by Ford is for regular gas (87)

as competitor V6s use regular gas to make their rated power.

As you would know, towing at maximum rating doesn't normally happen due to limitations

imposed by gross combined vehicle weight and drawbar down force (10%).

Towing at around 80-85% of maximum rating is more than acceptable,

Edited by jpd80

With my MKC in the body shop due to an errant Subaru, I have a Toyota Tacoma (2018, double cab, limited trim) for a loaner....I am completely underwhelmed with the truck and it is just plain uncomfortable. The bright spot is, it'll give me context when I test out a Ranger....sooooooo looking forward to it.

Ive heard it has a double whammy:

Underpowered and a tranny that upshifts too soon for fuel economy reasons.

• Like 1

I manually shift my Tacoma down and use the ECT power button to make it more fun to drive around town. It does shift to 6th as soon as it can on it’s own. Highway mpg is about 25 and in town 18. Power seems ok but I drove underpowered manuals for 16 years before this truck. The back seat is a temporary place to be in the double cab. The Ranger should do well.

Ive heard it has a double whammy:

Underpowered and a tranny that upshifts too soon for fuel economy reasons.

Toyota Tacoma V6 engine has ample power, but you are right about the tranny programming. Very annoying. Also, driver's seat in Tacoma still doesn't have a height adjustment and lacks support (for me at least). Tacoma came off my shopping list for trucks after only 10 minutes of test driving it.

Payload rating for new 2019 Ranger is amazing. I'm looking forward to getting this truck sometime in spring or summer 2019.

Edited by rperez817

As kids, my sister and I would squeeze into the SuperCab of my Dad's 1990 Ranger (new at the time). Our heads would bang against the rear window when my Dad accelerated. I think that is my generation's version of the 3rd seat in a station wagon, all my friends thought it was the strangest thing in the world.

Edited by Assimilator

It's hard to compare just because the seat is taller, but Fusion (38.3) is quite a bit more roomy than Focus (33.2).

Ranger is not a roomy vehicle either way, MUCH less spacious than an Edge (40.6) for example. This is normal for the segment, so much space is given up for the frame and bed. Anybody use to an F-150 or a modern Crossover will probably find the Ranger's cab a little surprising.

Edited by Assimilator

Hell my brother and I rode in the bed (with camper shell) of my parents 82 F-150 single cab on 700 mile trips. My dad found some old van seats and mounted them to ply wood, placed them at the front of the bed. Imagine doing that today.

Heck, when I was a kid, at Thanksgiving we'd all pile into the back of Grandpa's pickup and trek the ten miles from the house to the farm. For about six years, our main family vehicle was a Ford Econoline cargo van where my dad bolted an older van seat to a plywood subfloor, and behind that was a queen size bed on a wooden frame that he built (and where we rode on long trips).

Imagine doing either of those things today. They'd probably toss the parents in the hoosegow...

• Like 1

It's hard to compare just because the seat is taller, but Fusion (38.3) is quite a bit more roomy than Focus (33.2).

Ranger is not a roomy vehicle either way, MUCH less spacious than an Edge (40.6) for example. This is normal for the segment, so much space is given up for the frame and bed. Anybody use to an F-150 or a modern Crossover will probably find the Ranger's cab a little surprising.

So between a Focus and a Fusion for back seat space. Perfect, the oldest will be close to ready to be forward facing soon so he can sit behind me when that happens since I'm taller.

My Mother had a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti and we use to fold the rear seats flat so we could sleep during our road trips. Going back even earlier than that I remember my Dad's 1984 Thunderbird which only had lap belts in the backseat. We were pulled over for speeding on the New Jersey Turnpike and I distinctly remember waking up in the backseat to the sight of a police offer looking at me while my sister and I were laying lengthwise in the backseat unbelted...no big deal, ha. Today...even my Yorkies are belted in doggy carseats while I'm driving. I've learned safety and fear of what might happen is a state of mind and a VERY generational thing...and that I grew up with the most impractical family cars imaginable.

Edited by Assimilator