'19 Edge Review-The New Standard

My information is that theNext Gen Edge is FWD and scheduled for no sooner than 2022 CY/MY (I'm still being told MY 2023). That would give the current generation 3-4 model years which is typical. A 2 year run would be highly abnormal for an MCE this significant at Ford (or any company that's not Korean). Even the 2015 Expedition MCE ran for 3 MY.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

The MKC is a very minor refresh in comparison, just enough to squeeze the new Lincoln grille on the front without changing anything else. You have to remember these things get a set budget they have to recoup and the budget for the Edge/Nautilus MCE was 10x bigger. The bigger the budget, the longer they have to run. A big expense is tied to the re-engineering of the drivetrains and the recertification that requires. Anytime you see major drivetrain or chassis re-engineering on-top of major cosmetic changes at both ends of the vehicles that involve any sheetmetal changes, you know they spent some money. They did make slight chasis improvements, primarily new suspension bushings (relatively minor). The ST gets some custom suspension work with tighter spring rates, monotube shock absorbers, and stronger (solid) sway bars.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

I’m pretty sure that C2 is the FWD version and CD6 is the RWD version.

C2 is transverse powertrain and CD6 is longitude powertrain. That's Ford's official description.

Ford has referred to CD6 as RWD platform in print but in reality, most of volume will be AWD. Based on what we know about CD6, it appears very similar to Audi's MLB, especially where the engine sits relative to front axle. So FWD CD6 should be an engineering possibility. But I don't think Ford has any plan to offer that configuration at the moment. Audi only offers FWD in its large sedans with I4 engines... something Ford said it is not going to sell in the future.