'19 Edge Review-The New Standard

They said a lot of nice things about the vehicle ! I am a bit surprised that the 8 speed transmission and "improved" 2.0L EcoBoost only got them 1 MPG in the city.

As the owner of a 2016 Edge, I have 2 nits to pick. You MUST use the outside, inset wide angle mirrors ! I attribute this to the thick B-pillars. Second the lighting in the "trunk"/rear storage are is TERRIBLE !

Hopefully Ford is willing to deal a little more now on these than they have been in the last few years. I understand they are right on the threshold of capacity of 2 shifts at OAC but they could sell more of these if they are willing to offer some more competitive lease and finance deals. At least that's what some of my local dealer friends tell me.

It's essentially specked like a Lincoln Nautilus without CCD and permanently set to Sport mode.

I'm not sure how well this will do, a harder riding Edge Sport may be too inaccessible to its core audience. I wish Ford would be more comfortable with a more luxury oriented Edge. It's possible ST won't sell as well as Sport, but maybe it's just a matter of time before it's seen less like a niche.

I do have to say Edge is looking very dated now despite the facelift, it's a design that was probably 3 years out of date when it arrived (straight wedge-shaped lines and stubby proportions). I think new Explorer and Escape are going to cramp its style, not to mention Blazer and so-on. Still a handsome vehicle overall but it's going to be a long wait for 2023. As always, Ford has given it some good substance to keep it modern.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

They said a lot of nice things about the vehicle ! I am a bit surprised that the 8 speed transmission and "improved" 2.0L EcoBoost only got them 1 MPG in the city.

I wonder if there's a null point for 2.0 Ecoboost in heavier vehicles, remember how FWD Explorer

switched from 2.0 EB to 2.3 EB for virtually no loss in official fuel economy rating.....

I'm thinking that you need enough basic capacity in Ecoboost engines to get the mix right

and in vehicles like Edge/MKX/Fusion/MKZ , 2.0 EB OK but not the great engine a 2.3 EB would be....

Edited by jpd80

I'm not sure how well this will do, a harder riding Edge Sport may be too inaccessible to its core audience. I wish Ford would be more comfortable with a more luxury oriented Edge. It's possible ST won't sell as well as Sport, but maybe it's just a matter of time before it's seen less like a niche.

The Sport never seemed like sold that well..at least I didn't see much, if any on the road in my area. I saw a few at a dealerships.

I see the Sport far more often than Titanium, pretty common by me in Metro Detroit anyway. I know this market is very unusual however.

I VERY rarely see an Edge with a lighted bar, always drives me a little crazy that such a small percentage of Edges actually light the strip across the back. Terrible design choice, glad they've fixed that. It's the design equivalent of a blank button.

Edited by Assimilator

I see the Sport far more often than Titanium, pretty common by me in Metro Detroit anyway. I know this market is very unusual however.

I VERY rarely see an Edge with a lighted bar, always drives me a little crazy that such a small percentage of Edges actually light the strip across the back. Terrible design choice, glad they've fixed that. It's the design equivalent of a blank button.

Probably because the SEL 201a always are the lease specials. Being this is the largest lease market in the country (80% some months) people just shop the cheapest lease deal as they will only have it for 2-3 years.

The new Edge will look nice next to the Explorer and Escape for the next few years, what it missed was a better instrument cluster and larger center stack screen. Even if they had just used the old MKX style IC would have been an improvement. (Euro version already uses it)

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

It's essentially specked like a Lincoln Nautilus without CCD and permanently set to Sport mode.

I do have to say Edge is looking very dated now despite the facelift, it's a design that was probably 3 years out of date when it arrived (straight wedge-shaped lines and stubby proportions). I think new Explorer and Escape are going to cramp its style, not to mention Blazer and so-on. Still a handsome vehicle overall but it's going to be a long wait for 2023. As always, Ford has given it some good substance to keep it modern.

New one comes as a 2021 and it looks very sharp.
  • Like 1

God WTF is this with the comments-someone complaining about the head rests and how it screws their neck up-

In all seriousness, who actually rests their heads on one? its there for whiplash protection, comfort?!

Women....be interesting to know the gender breakdown but i would suspect a majority of negative feedback is female written...

Women....be interesting to know the gender breakdown but i would suspect a majority of negative feedback is female written...

I think you could generalize that to "old women" => whingers complaining about things that probably only matter to them

(and by old women, I don't necessarily mean females)

Edited by jpd80

I have no idea. Only know what the body looks like.

Oh you're so lucky. I know this has been asked before by others including myself but not sure if it was you or Assimilator (another insider), but do you know if for sure the next Edge will certainly go on CD6 as rear drive or stay front drive (likely C2)?

Oh you're so lucky. I know this has been asked before by others including myself but not sure if it was you or Assimilator (another insider), but do you know if for sure the next Edge will certainly go on CD6 as rear drive or stay front drive (likely C2)?

I was told CD6 but my guy wasn't sure exactly what that meant for the drivetrain. He's a body guy.
  • Like 1

I was told CD6 but my guy wasn't sure exactly what that meant for the drivetrain. He's a body guy.

I remember some saying CD6 which is what I kinda figured it would be.

CD6 is a flexible chassis design that can be configured as FWD, RWD and AWD.

My understanding is that Ford has not yet officially announced that it could be capable as a front drive on the CD6. If it can be set up for front drive, I'm curious about the engine layout: transverse or longitudinal?

You can be sure AWD will stay, I just don't know if it's FWD or RWD biased.

That what I've been wondering myself.

I do like the refreshed 2019 Edge though with its somewhat new styling. I love the ST and how it looks especially with the 21" wheels from the Performance Package. I like the blue color on it. Hopefully, it'll help Ford gain even more crossover/SUV sales in the coming months as they start arriving at the dealerships.

I’m pretty sure that C2 is the FWD version and CD6 is the RWD version.

That's what I've been thinking. I think the confusion about CD6 being the 'flexible' front drive was actually mistaken and was really the C2. There may be a possibility of a longitudinally-mounted CD6 with only front drive but the C2 being true transverse front drive is what it really is.

• Like 1