150 MPH Cop Explorer

“We’re transitioning from Dodge Chargers to Ford Explorers due to the increased level of comfort they provide to our officers and the ease of exiting the vehicle quickly,” Chief Jerry Dyer of Fresno, California, told the Detroit Free Press when reached at the Major Cities Chiefs Association convention in Orlando, Florida.

That is until FCA begins their typical product "fire sale" to bump up sales....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

Remember this SUV also out-handles all of the sedans tested.

Ford has so much be proud of with this vehicle. I hope it really gets noticed.

It begs the question, if a CD6 chassis based SUV can handle this good....one would wonder how a CD6 chassis based sedan or coupe would handle?

Edited by twintornados

It begs the question, if a CD6 chassis based SUV can handle this good....one would wonder how a CD6 chassis based sedan or coupe would handle?

Apparently the next Gen Mustang will use it.

At this point, I dont think we will see another sedan from Ford, unless the market changes

CD6 was cancelled for Mustang and Continental, CD6 actually has some of the current Mustang (and CD4) architecture in it. New Mustang is based on a revision which gets some of the new CD6 systems (or modules). Ford's "common architectures" is more loosely defined than I assumed. Absolutely nobody I have found is aware of any new Lincoln sedans so I'm not sure what's going on there until Lincoln tells us or prototypes start happening.

Edited by Assimilator

CD6 was cancelled for Mustang and Continental, CD6 actually has some of the current Mustang (and CD4) architecture in it. New Mustang is based on a revision which gets some of the new CD6 systems (or modules). Ford's "common architectures" is more loosely defined than I assumed. Absolutely nobody I have found is aware of any new Lincoln sedans so I'm not sure what's going on there until Lincoln tells us or prototypes start happening.

So why do we keep hearing about 2 Lincoln sedans coming?. Ford won't a Lincoln unless it's can be shared with a Ford.

My first thought when I saw 150mph Explorer was holy shit that's fast.

My second thought was rollover if it has to manuver quickly, top heavy ?

I rolled my 66 E100 ...... no fun.

You dont manuver quickly in anything at 150mph. Its never going to turn out well.

My first thought when I saw 150mph Explorer was holy shit that's fast.

My second thought was rollover if it has to manuver quickly, top heavy ?

I rolled my 66 E100 ...... no fun.

WOW!! Your '66 E100 can do 150?!?! Man, that's gotta be a record for an Econoline....

Just kidding....glad you survived to tell the story.

• Like 2

According to Autoblog, they are using the 3.0L V6 EcoBoost. That has to be less horses than the current 3.5L so is this new RWD CD6 lighter ?

Autoblog also said there would be a hybrid version for use "around town".

The current 3.5LEB in the Explorer is only 365/350. And it has to be torque managed at lower rpm. The 3.0LEB is 400/400 at least and with CD6 there should be little to no need for torque management. I assume the 10 speed auto is also a significant enhancement.

The RWD 3.5LEB is 365/420 on regular fuel.